Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

hip_spasm

Acting Sergeants....

A friend of mine just started acting and I wondered what peoples thoughts were?

Is it hard to act some weeks and be a PC the next?  That sort of thing really if anyone has any experiences they want to share.

I did acting duties for over 2 years prior to getting promoted.  My inspector treat me like a proper Sgt all the time and included me in all shift supervision discussions and decisions this helped my standing on the shift and gave me the authority i needed when in charge.

I moved stations prior to starting to act and i think that helped as i started fresh with a shift i did not know and they treat me well as both a supervisor and PC.  I found the transition from one to the other as fairly easy but that was down to having a good inspector.

I'd also be interested to hear people's experiences, and advice, as I start acting in a couple of weeks. I'll be moving to another station for the duration, which I think is probably a good thing (apart from travelling at my own expense)

I re-joined last year after 4 years away and I did the Ospre exam this year. Since I came back I've been treated as a Senior PC/APS by both the supervision and colleagues. My guv'nor has also told me he'll be using me as an A/PS as soon as I pass ( his confidence,not mine!). Fortunately he's a TOWBAR assessor so he'll be fitting me up for good evidence for the application. I also was an Acting Traffic Sergeant years ago, having passed Pt1 but unfortunately I couldn't get my head around Pt2. I had no problems from anyone, they accepted me as if a full PS. I think moving elsewhere as a supervisor makes it even easier as occasionally I am used as the "unofficial" go-between  on both sides. Good Luck!