Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Stephen M

Home Office meeting on offensive weapons in 1952

This is question that confuses me. I’m wondering if constables below the chief constables would have discussed the topic prior the meeting. The question is below.

In a 10:00 meeting from November 20th,1952 at the Home Office. Five Chief Constables from Kent and West Midlands, Essex etc. and the director of public prosecutions attended. They discussed offensive weapons. The chief constable from Kent stated “It would be better if people who habitually carry weapons “just in case” , perhaps when drunk, was made an offence.” The statement was agreed by the chief constables and the director of public prosecutions. 

At the time, there was so much anxiety over the carrying of weapons at the time that the citizens pressured the government to act.

Does the Chief Constables statement mean that people below them, police officers in rank, maybe discussed and made a similar viewpoint as well prior to the Chief Constables coming to that meeting, thus prompting that statement?

The question is pointless about a meeting 66 years ago. I believe that the Duke of Wellington asked something similar in 1814-16 ish.

People on this page need to be helpful and willing to help me and to answer my question in a gracious way. I DO NOT need your uncaring advice.

I’m not sure I understand the final question. Maybe it could be phrased better.

anyway, as Zulu has said, it’s 66 years ago. I’d suspect the five chief constables are dead now, so who knows...

• Like 1