Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk


Sign in to follow this  
13togo

Ill health retirement figures

Recommended Posts

Hi all, I wonder if anybody can help me. In 2015 I was diagnosed with small bowel cancer which has been treated via surgery. I now have rather embarrassing after effects of that surgery and am currently working full time from home in an office based environment. 

 

It it looks like I am now going to be put through the smp process because the fma is declared me permanently unfit for the role of Constable. 

 

Does anybody have any idea how to calculate an Ill health pension? I joined in December 96 and was moved to the 2015 scheme in April 2006. I asked Kier for an estimate but they will only provide one at hr’s request. At the minute I think that I want to be retained but I would be interested to know what sort of pension I would get if I medically retired. 

 

If anybody can can help I’d be grateful 

 

Many Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 13togo said:

Hi all, I wonder if anybody can help me. In 2015 I was diagnosed with small bowel cancer which has been treated via surgery. I now have rather embarrassing after effects of that surgery and am currently working full time from home in an office based environment. 

 

It it looks like I am now going to be put through the smp process because the fma is declared me permanently unfit for the role of Constable. 

 

Does anybody have any idea how to calculate an Ill health pension? I joined in December 96 and was moved to the 2015 scheme in April 2006. I asked Kier for an estimate but they will only provide one at hr’s request. At the minute I think that I want to be retained but I would be interested to know what sort of pension I would get if I medically retired. 

 

If anybody can can help I’d be grateful 

 

Many Thanks

Speak to your Force Federation office. They should be able to tell you exactly what you are entitled too, Medical Pension and any lump sum. I am out of date now with the new Regs but as a Fed Rep I could and did tell officers what they could expect. One lad was disappointed as I was 3p per month out on my figures.  Get advice from the Fed and follow it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your reply Zulu, I spoke to our fed chairman this morning, he said that I would get 7 years added on so I would have an almost full pension. I think that it is 7/60ths ie 3.5 years rather than 7 years isn’t it? 

 

I dont think that he knew how to work it out really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 13togo said:

cThanks for your reply Zulu, I spoke to our fed chairman this morning, he said that I would get 7 years added on so I would have an almost full pension. I think that it is 7/60ths ie 3.5 years rather than 7 years isn’t it? 

 

I dont think that he knew how to work it out really. 

Someone at the Federation should be able to tell you exactly. I do not have the actuary figures anymore and would be reluctant to try. However when I was serving on the Federation almost any Federation Rep worth his salt would have been able to tell you. Your HR department should also be able to tell you. My pension comes via Kier but they can only work on figures and dates provided by HR.

You appear to have 12 years in which with 7 would give you 19 years. 2/60 ths for each year which would be 36/60ths when a full pension would be 40/60ths but, as I say that is from memory with now Regs or Actuary figures available to me so, do check again with the Federation for accuracy. They do have Pension specialists among their ranks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Zulu, I joined in 96 so have almost 22 years in now, just over 18 of which are in the 87 scheme. I was transferred to the 2015 scheme in April 2015. 

Is it correct that you get 7 years added? I thought that it was 3 1/2 years hence why people retired on ill health when they had 26 1/2 years service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, if you go to  "The Emergency Lounge" website,  you can use their free ill health pension calculator to obtain a pretty accurate figure, its pretty easy to use too. Good Luck Tina 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tina DeMonte said:

Hi, if you go to  "The Emergency Lounge" website,  you can use their free ill health pension calculator to obtain a pretty accurate figure, its pretty easy to use too. Good Luck Tina 😊

I’ve been on that Tina, it doesn’t take into account the don’t care 2015 scheme. I’ve done a bit of reading and I think I’m somewhere close. Thanks for your message 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.