Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
Ding Dong Delly

Ill Health Pension - should I or should I not

Where do I start... I know no one will tell me what to do in my circumstances but I am hoping by reaching out on this forum that others may have advice or knowledge to help me make this ridiculously hard decision! I guess I am asking what would you do?

I am a DC &  have 15 years in the job.

In 2014 I was diagnosed with a Brain Tumour. I am very lucky in that my surgeon achieved full clearance. I am monitored with MRI' often so although I have a risk of it returning it should e caught early. The craniotomy was the easy part though and I had a long tough recovery which still affects me now :-(. Surgery left me with Epilepsy albeit minor focal seizures. I have just lost my driving licence again which adds to my frustration. The really tough bit is realising I am 'different' and that surgery left me with changes in my personality.

I have been back at work on and off due to changes in anti seizure meds etc. over the last three years. I have been working with my neuropsychologist to try & identify the changes which affect my ability to concentrate. I switch off quite quick even if its something I am interested in!

My return to work has been a battle where I have been fighting to return to the person I was but struggling with agitation, frustration of not being able to do what I used too! I struggle to feel of some use in my role, feel pretty useless at times. The job have been so supportive & patient with me.

Following a recent Occ Health Appt the force Dr stated if I wanted to consider ill health he would support me. So now I am considering whether this is an option I should consider. Financially I would not suffer later in my years ( if I make it) if I realised a pension now. There is no guarantee I would even get ill health pension.

I sit here weighing up my options - do I apply for ill Health and start again?. Be nearer my family, work local to my home so constantly juggling my driving licence is less of a strain. Yes that sounds great if it is achievable especially with the job changing so much... will I be booted to a department I don't want to be in? Will I suffer a pay cut in future if I remain restricted? Will

but..... I also appreciate what fantastic employers I have. What if my tumour comes back... then I have the support both financial & personal to fight it again.. but I have the cognitive changes to struggle with everyday..

Apologies pressed enter............

I know no one can tell me what to do but to hear others opinions may help me decide..

Thank you for your time :-)

Keep in touch with the Federation who should support you. They can also advise you as to what you will actually get if you do take an Ill Health Pension. No one can tell you what to do or, make the decision for you. However, the main thing is your health which comes before anything else. I would imagine that being a DC would just put extra stress on your position.

You do say that your Force has been fantastic and supportive. If that is so I would think that they would go along with any decision you make, and that may be employment in a less stressful role.  What ever you decide I hope that you have a long and healthy future.

• Thanks 1

My wife was ill healthed in almost the precise same circumstances. Same service, same illness, the lot. When we saw what she would receive pension wise, the question was simple. Did she want a career in the police or a job? She wanted a job - no aspirations in the cops, so the answer was an easy one.

She signed on the dotted line, took the cash and we paid off the mortgage fifteen years early. Okay, so we won’t get two full police pensions, but we are seeing the benefits now, whilst the kids are still at home and my wife has none of the stress being a cop brings. I get enough of that for both of us.

Our quality of life was more important than the salary - she now works part time, and with her pension is almost bringing home what she did before she left.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for your replies 🙂 .

deep down I probably know I need to move on .... feels like I’m giving up and letting it beat me ! 

I have spoken to the fed who intimated ‘I’m relatively cheap to get rid of’ lol ... I have obtained figures that were surprisingly good....

billysboots we would be in a similar position .... the pressure would be off and I could get something that enables me to be with the kids more / less commuting etc & still bring home the same monthly amount

i may not get it so I’ll let fate decide what’s best for me ... 

letter signed & sent this morning :-0 

Thanks both 

• Like 1