Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

I’m 24 years old, I work in a small Northen Rural Police force, the city I work in I enjoy working in and they are a very good employer and at the moment I’ve got great supervision, but there are a lack of lateral movements I am waiting a few months for my probation to be signed off after completing everything I have needed to complete, once my probation is signed off, there is a part of me that wants to transfer to the Met if the opportunity arises so I can experience response policing in a faster paced environment and apply to various lateral moves as every ex met officer I know seems to of worked in many different departments I just have a few questions, but I’m gonna wait until I’m out my 2 years before I properly look into it, but at times in my own force I feel like I spend my life dealing with very low level crime and there is not many “big jobs” in my force.

Is it worth moving to London just to join the Met I don’t have any responsibilities we’re I live at the moment?

is it realistic on a bobbies wage to live in London?

Would you recommend moving to London alone?

Are there lots of room for lateral movements in the Met ?

whats moral like in the Met?

what are overtime opportunities like?

Is it realistic to join the Met without any asperations to be a Dc? 

Are there any warnings or advice you could give me about the Met as a career move? 

Not Met ex GMP. I was in the Met on a course for 3 months. Loved the course absolutely hated the Met.  I could not wait to be on the M6 on the way home. Traffic, travelling and living in the Met is horrendous. My advice is do not do it. You will become a better all round officer where you are. There are always opportunities where ever you serve, must depends on hard work and the right opportunities. Remember the saying "Out of the frying pan into the fire"

The MPS only recruits people who have lived in London for three years. You had better check if the same apples to transferees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk