Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

bob70

THOSE BLINDING BRAKE LIGHTS

The problem of drivers sitting on there brake pedal  ,when stopped at traffic lights, or queuing in traffic jams 

BLINDING THE DRIVER BEHIND , is getting worse and something needs to be done to stop this bad practice

I have been driving for  approx. 54 years now retired.  20,000  to 35,000 miles a year  

and it that time the main two things that really get me annoyed is drivers and there are plenty of then who seem to thinK

it's not necessary to indicate  . there ever complete idiots or just b,aufall  drivers 

(DRIVERS CAUGHT NOT INDICATING SHOULD GET A  FIXED PENALTY FINE) 

I have been doing a little survey over the last couple of weeks of drivers waiting at traffic lights , the lights are at red and i can see 9 cars in front of me  guess what only one car has not got is brake lights on , as there is road works ahead  4 minutes later they're all still sitting there with their foot on the brake pedal and possible some with their foot on the  clutch with the car  in gear ? as you all know some of these modern cars have very powerful brake lights and it's not very nice for the driver behind or his passengers being blinded  so why do they do it ????

this is what your supposed to do  when stopping at traffic lights

If the lights are   red  or amber slowdown using the foot brake , clutch down and once the car has stopped, put the gear stick in the natural position and put the hand brake on , now take your foot off the brake pedal, you can now sit there in comfort  until the lights change to green .then put the clutch down and put  gear stick into 1st gear , as you let the hand brake off  let the clutch pedal up slowly and move off smoothly

THERE NEEDS TO BE A SURVEY TO SEE HOW BAD THE PROBLEM IS,AND IF IT'S PROVEN AS A PROBLEM

THERE NEEDS TO BE A TV  ADDS  ADVISING THE PUBLIC , LIKE

DON'T HESITATE ALWAYS INDICATE BEFORE IT'S TO LATE 

DON'T BLIND THE DRIVER BEHIND YOU BY SITTING ON YOUR FOOT BRAKE  WHEN STOPPED  AT   TRAFFIC LIGHTS

PUT THE CAR IN NEUTRAL WITH THE HAND BRAKE ON AS TAUGHT . 

until the  lights change to  green 

Shows how many people cannot drive and have forgotten all they were taught.

In this part of the world it is almost unheard of for drivers to follow the practice - gear in neutral, hand-brake on at traffic lights (called "robots" in most southern African countries). Drivers tend to keep their foot on the brake but, even then, when the lights change there are always delays - simply because they are not observant and do not watch for the signals changing. Very frustrating but not much that can be done as driving "instructors" teach this way of driving (many driving instructors are "combi" (12 seat mini-bus taxis that ply a particular route) drivers and their driving is generally atrocious and many people are killed each year in combi accidents.

SEARCHING I FOUND THIS.

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

You are here:

What Version

Help about what version
  • Latest available (Revised)
  • Original (As made)

This is the original version (as it was originally made). This item of legislation is currently only available in its original format.

Restrictions on the use of lamps other than those to which regulation 24 refers

27.  No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle on which any lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon of a type specified in an item in column 2 of the Table below is used in a manner specified in that item in column 3.

TABLE

(1) (2) (3)
ItemNo. Type of lamp, hazard warning signal device or warning beacon Manner of use prohibited
1 Headlamp

(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

(b)Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

2 Front fog lamp

(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

(b)Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

(c)Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

3 Rear fog lamp

(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to the driver of a following vehicle.

(b)Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

(c)Save in the case of an emergency vehicle, used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

4 Reversing lamp Used so as to be lit except for the purpose of reversing the vehicle.
5 Hazard warning signal device

Used other than–

(i)

to warn persons using the road of a temporary obstruction when the vehicle is at rest; or

(ii)

on a motorway or unrestricted dual-carriageway, to warn following drivers of a need to slow down due to a temporary obstruction ahead; or

(iii)

in the case of a bus, to summon assistance for the driver or any person acting as a conductor or inspector on the vehicle.

6 Warning beacon emitting blue light and special warning lamp

Used so as to be lit except–

(i)

at the scene of an emergency; or

(ii)

when it is necessary or desirable either to indicate to persons using the road the urgency of the purpose for which the vehicle is being used, or to warn persons of the presence of the vehicle or a hazard on the road.

7 Warning beacon emitting amber light

Used so as to be lit except–

(i)

at the scene of an emergency;

(ii)

when it is necessary or desirable to warn persons of the presence of the vehicle; and

(iii)

in the case of a breakdown vehicle, while it is being used in connection with, and in the immediate vicinity of, an accident or breakdown, or while it is being used to draw a broken-down vehicle.

8 Warning beacon emitting green light Used so as to be lit except whilst occupied by a medical practitioner registered by the General Medical Council (whether with full, provisional or limited registration) and used for the purposes of an emergency.
9 Warning beacon emitting yellow light Used so as to be lit on a road.
10 Work lamp

(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to the driver of any vehicle.

(b)Used so as to be lit except for the purpose of illuminating a working area, accident, breakdown or works in the vicinity of the vehicle.

11 Any other lamp

Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

ME  BOB , 11 seems to fit the  problem xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Annoying as things can be.The police have no time to  even cover immediate calls and they try and keep a lid on terrorism ( somehow).