Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Iamjordan

Scottish Police Numbers examination

Hey

I was wondering if someone could help me. I applied for the police in 2012 and struggled on the numbers test. Recently i spoke to a friend who took the test and said they he was allowed to use a calculator. Is this a new thing that was brought in and have the tests changed now if you can use a calculator.

thank you

Sorry not a north of the border person, but someone should know on here. Nothing to stop a second application.Welcome to the forum anyway.

16 hours ago, joner11234 said:

Hi, I took the test last week and a calculator is allowed and have 30 minutes to compleate 

Does that not make the test a joke?

23 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Does that not make the test a joke?

I spoke to the recruitment officer who was in charge and he said the reason was that a lot of people were only failing the maths exam hense why your allowed a calculator.  

The idea of a maths exam is surely to show that they are numerate. To allow a calculator is self defeating, and would indicate,to me anyway, a lowering of standards.

Can't see the problem. It's a maths exam not an arithmetic test. If you don't know your maths you can't pass no matter how many calculators you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I assume this is what they call numerical reasoning?

Having done one of those tests, with a calculator, I can see why the calculators are allowed - they're not easy even for someone with a "scientific" brain or technical background.

It's more about understanding the data & how it was derived, and using the same methods to extrapolate other bits of information to answer the question.