Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Juliusdd

Stuck on the fence..

So I have been wanting to join the police for quite awhile and about 2 months ago did.. I applied for PCSO first waiting around 8 weeks.. No answer so I decided to apply to go to a Special Constable requirement event which is in a few days, Today I open my email and have an interview for becoming a PCSO.. I accepted this and booked an interview slot but Im also attending a specials event.

Two questions, Can i still attend this Specials event which is before my interview and secondly Im looking to one day become a Constable (Real Police officer) which one of the two jobs would be best for this?

Regards, Julius.

There shouldn't be a problem with going to the SPC event whilst going through the PCSO application process however if you are successful with the application you can't be a SPC at the same time.  Police staff can however be SPCs.

As to which is best experience there are pros and cons of both.  Being a PCSO is a full time role and you'll see a lot of what a PC does whilst building up a thick skin and learning how to deal with people whereas as a SPC you may only be gaining a few hours experience per month whilst also holding down a full time job, but then you'll gain experience of using your full police powers. 

• Like 1

There shouldn't be a problem with going to the SPC event whilst going through the PCSO application process however if you are successful with the application you can't be a SPC at the same time.  Police staff can however be SPCs.

As to which is best experience there are pros and cons of both.  Being a PCSO is a full time role and you'll see a lot of what a PC does whilst building up a thick skin and learning how to deal with people whereas as a SPC you may only be gaining a few hours experience per month whilst also holding down a full time job, but then you'll gain experience of using your full police powers. 

Thank you for your reply.

Im siding with PCSO at the moment as I would prefer full time employment with the police, I was wondering could being a PCSO lead to a Constable career? 

Yep plenty of PCs start as a PCSO and apply as and when PC recruitment opens although some forces have a stipulation that a PCSO must have worked in the role for two years before they can apply to be a PC.

Having been a special and police staff (DDO) I would say working full time is better than being a special. You learn a lot, and puts you in a sting position when applying to be a police officer.