Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
Reynard10

Police oath

I will, to the best of my power, cause the peace to be kept and preserved and prevent all offences against people and property; and that while I continue to hold the said office I will to the best of my skill and knowledge discharge all the duties thereof faithfully according to law.

Quick question. . Why do we enforce 100's of laws and statutes that have nothing to do with our oath? Eg: Drug laws and driving offences.. What would happen if we choose to only uphold laws as described in our oath!?

If you read and interpret it correctly, then you will find that the terms and wording is all encompassing and refusing to uphold them will be deriliction of duty

• Like 2

What length of service do you have?

.................................. and are you a graduate in an Arts or Social Sciences discipline?

• Like 2

.................................. and are you a graduate in an Arts or Social Sciences discipline?

Sorry, you have lost me OAH. Please enlighten me?

...I think therefore I am..?

I will, to the best of my power, cause the peace to be kept and preserved and prevent all offences against people and property; and that while I continue to hold the said office I will to the best of my skill and knowledge discharge all the duties thereof faithfully according to law.

Quick question. . Why do we enforce 100's of laws and statutes that have nothing to do with our oath? Eg: Drug laws and driving offences.. What would happen if we choose to only uphold laws as described in our oath!?

What Laws are actually described in this oath, given you appear to precluding Drugs and RTA ???

Fe, Fi, Do, Fum, I smell the blood of a Freeman

Sent from the dark side of a Tachograph!!!

• Like 1

I have 16 years service, but that's irrelevant. I have a degree in chemistry, but that's irrelevant too. I'm not a freeman and pay my tv licence :) Just asking a question that has caused a bit of a stir at work :) Our Oath defines what a police officer must do; keep the peace, protect people and property. That's it. There's no ambiguity or method of reading this correctly.

Sorry, you have lost me OAH. Please enlighten me?

In my experience teaching at under-grad and post-grad levels, it is usually arts or social science students who ask this sort of question to "expand the envelope" of discussion. 

It is interesting that Reynard is both a science graduate and has quite a lot of policing experience under his (her) belt and that the issue is causing a bit of a stir at work. I wonder what started the stir - it would be interesting to know - but maybe it is a particular case so cannot be discussed? I suspect that if someone with 16 years in is asking this question - it must be quite a stir?

• Like 1

Assume nothing, asking this question merely created interest. I assume :), the replies so far are poor attempts to discredit me for asking a question!? I expected intelligent answers / debate, rather than cheap jibes.

I'm going to guess that there's some disaffection at Reynard's nick and so wonder whether people are questioning what the f**k they're doing, or should do, or could get out of doing...........?

Reynaud, the question is entirely valid... I didn't initially reply because of my suspicions about your intent... I didn't want to do the whole boring you need to enter into a contractual agreement to be subject to legislation bore again.

As however you have presented your credentials so to speak I am now more interested and will humbly offer my opinion.

There are many laws I don't agree with. Cannabis and most drug usage prohibitions for example. If people want to do that and accept the rest of us shouldn't have to foot their direct and extended bills for their habits it's fine by me.

However I am a sworn servant of the Crown. I am a part of something bigger and as part of that bigger machine I have to compromise.

It's a sacrifice for the greater good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No more dissatisfaction than any other force :) Tbh it's generated debate within my colleagues. Thank you HM service, I still don't have an answer.. We are servants of the Crown and must abide by the oath, where does our duty to enforce other crimes lie?

All this assumption is tedious. I hope you don't investigate crime in the same manner!!

A : assume nothing.

B : believe no one.

C : challenge everything.

Sign in to follow this