Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

campervan

Leaving after 24yrs service

Hello, I am new to this forum and in fact have only just found it.

I am a constable with 24yrs service and am 50yrs old and have decided I can't life is too short to be so unhappy at work.

Can someone tell me if I retire now will I get a reduced penison if not when will I be entitiled to my penison and how much will it be?

I have some investments that will tide me over for a couple of years however I do intend to get a job or start my own business.

Can someone point me to examples of C.V's for police officers?  I have done just about everything including being a Detective.

Has anyone on here left the job in similar circumstances and started their own business?  Did you do the right thing or do you regret it?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

C

I think the magical figure is 25 years service if you want to retire at 50 and have immediate access to your pension.

I may be wrong but there are others on here with much more knowledge when it comes to pensions.  

Thanks for your replies.  I am afraid that you both may be right about 25yrs being the magic number.

The thing is that things are so bad that I don't think I can stand another year.

Hopefully will get some more ideas of fellow members.

C

Camper,

You would be very, very, very wise to wait until you have 25 years in, otherwise you are throwing away years and years and years of pension claiming

If you are unwell, let's not forget you can have 6 months off (or a years if you have insurance)

You have run a marathon. You are 100 metres from the end and you are pulling out of the race

Edited by Picard999
  • Like 7

Can HR give you some advice and guidance on your options? Welcome to the forum :D

To go at 25 years and aged 50 or over gives instant access to a lump sum of £40k instantly and £1300 per month for the rest of your life, instantly

To go before that, as I understand it, delays the payout until you are 60..

That's losing £15,600 a year for ten years or a total of £156,000 over ten years...

Spend the next year smiling, knowing you are going and having bedded-in plans, but don't pull the trigger until the 25 years is clocked and the cheque is in the bank!

• Like 4

No, they have been centralised now and are not as user friendly as they used to be.

There is this beat with a big stick attitude of late rather than manage and motivate.

Its quite horrible at the moment.

I really feel so sorry for some of the officers where I work.  Its not a good environement.

Rather than moan about it I would rather do something about it.  Life is too short.

I will continue to look at the options and hopefully find a solution.

Again thanks for all the replies.

• Like 1

Camper, your plight seems serious and I would omagine that you are suffering from some stress related illness. The remarks about a marathon were straigth to the point. If I were you I would smile, go and see the doctor and go off on a sick note. Return for a short period, and then repeat the process.  You Federatuion Rep should be able to tell you what figures you can expect and when. If they do not know then your Branch Board Office should know.  I know when I was a rep I could have told you the figure to within a few pence but sadly I now have none of those papers with me advise. 

If you go at 24 years it is like winning a pay out on the Lottery or Pools and turning down the prize.

• Like 2

Isn't this just such an example of what is being achieved by the cuts. Long term officers so beaten that all they want to do is leave?

I feel so sorry for you, what about a move, stations or Dept? Will they accommodate this?

Get to 25 mate, please.

• Like 2

You seem to be in a bad place at the moment mate, and I wish you all the best.  I cannot give you any help or advice re pensions etc as I have been retired too long, however, in the group of lads that I used to work with, I can tell you that everyone that retired and started their own business up has made a success of it, been given a new lease of life and have not missed the job at all.   Hope you make the right decision.

• Like 1

I was in pretty much the same position (still am) in an investigation role which i hate. Over 50 with 27 yrs in the bank. So i did something about it, have transferred to a smaller force, back on response. I have cut my travelling time to virtually zero, and back on a great shift pattern. Not the ideal solution for everyone, particularly as i am likely to be rolling on the floor with drunks at 0300 on a sat morning!! However, i was slowly crumbling in my current role and would not doubt be off with stress if i hadnt taken positive action. Looking foreward to christmas off and a new fresh start in the new year. I feel like a big weight has been lifted, although in truth the next 3 yrs cant go quick enough!!!

• Like 2

Hello campervan

From the sound of it, you could be suffering from stress or depression.  If it was me, I would go and see my GP and explain everything, I would also contact your occupational health/welfare department as well.  You may be nervous about doing this (few people like to admit that they are depressed), but it will be worth it in the long run.

Stress/depression can and do make things seem overwhelming, hence your apparent need to leave the job ASAP.  But (if I were you, aged 50 with 24 years service) I would do everything in my power to reach 25 years service.  If that means going sick a lot in your last year then so be it. 

I know some rock solid police officers who are stressed and depressed and hate the job they once loved.  So don't be ashamed that you have the same feelings. 

I myself know where you're coming from.  I'm, aged 44, with 20 years service, am looking to leave by February 2015 and try a completely different career.   For me, with the pension changes affecting me, it's just not worth holding out until I'm 55 or 60 to get a pension, so I'm going for my own sanity.

Also, did you transfer any pension in when you joined?  If you did,  it could mean that your closer to a 25 year pension than you think.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I can only echo the above Camper. I have 24 yrs and 2 months in and the thought of reaching my 25 very soon is a great weight off my mind. I know that I can go with a guaranteed pension at 50. I will be 47 at my 25 yr point....so not long to wait. Different to you though I still enjoy my role and will, if left alone, see my time out to 30, but the thought of reaching 25 is reassuring.

If you can at all hang on, please do. Best of luck in whatever you do.