Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
chiefwigum

Leaving the job? Options?

Im posting this because I am after a bit of advice and inspiration.

I am currently a police Sgt with 17.5 years in the job and I am fed up. I am sick of workload increasing whilst pay and conditions get worse.I have been qualified to Insp for about 10 years but the possibility of promotion looks bleak, especially with the new process coming in next year. I have always been keen and capable but now the shifts,lack of social live and stress are becoming too much. I don't want to start an argument as to how good I/we have it, gold plated pension blah blah blah but I am genuinely seeking advice.

I have decided that leaving and looking for another job is probably a serious consideration however simply wrapping in and looking for another job is not really a straightforward option when I have a mortgage etc etc. My current gross salary is about 42k now and i know that whatever I do i won't match that however I am willing to earn less if it improves my lifestyle, happiness and sanity.

So heres my position- I am 37 years old,married but with no kids. Wife has a reasonable salary but not enough to support both of us and pay bills etc,etc.

I consider myself to be a reasonably intelligent person, I have decent GCSE's, a BTEC diploma in science and a HNC in Chemistry with chemical engineering. Problem with these qualifications is i cannot remember anything i studied and I have no real interest in science. I obviously have a lot of supervisory experience from my current job and i did complete a certificate in first line management from the CMI a couple of years ago. Due to joining the police aged 19 I don't really have much experience in other fields bar a couple of years as a lab technician and a bit of retail experience whislt working when I was at college.

So can anyone give me any idea as to what i can do? Career ideas?  retraining? Business ideas?

I am genuinely at a loss as to what i can do. Teaching maybe? because I don't have a degree this might be quite difficult? I really just want to do something where i feel like I am making a positive impact on something/someone and enjoy going to work again.

• Like 1

Customs or Nuclear Police ?

Tanker Driver

Train Driver

How much do you need to earn to initially get by - Do you have cash to invest in something ?

I have found that people are falling over themselves to find people to do DIY stuff for them , like gardening painting wallpapering fencing shed bases etc . I retired from the police last year , i could nearly work 40 hrs a week with this type of work . Depending where you live depends on what you could charge .  

Customs or Nuclear Police ?

Tanker Driver

Train Driver

How much do you need to earn to initially get by - Do you have cash to invest in something ?

I have found that people are falling over themselves to find people to do DIY stuff for them , like gardening painting wallpapering fencing shed bases etc . I retired from the police last year , i could nearly work 40 hrs a week with this type of work . Depending where you live depends on what you could charge .  

Whoops I forgot to mention I am the least practical bloke in the world in terms of DIY.

I applied for train driving last year, no reply!

No nuclear establishments anywhere near me.

In terms of income i think after overtime, unsocial hours etc my gross has been about 45-46k in the last three years. My outgoings on bills are approx 900-950 per month this includes everything apart from diesel and food(which the wife pays for) I recon I could scrape together 20k if i sold my car and used savings for possible investments. This would leave me about 4-k to buy a cheap but reasonable car to get around.

I recon about £1500-1600 net a month coming in would let me live a reasonable life

I am at a loss as what to do?

Should i jump ship and try for a life outside the police or should I try and have a difficult serious conversation with a senior officer? I feel that from getting promoted with 5 years in and being highly thought of my career has hit the buffers massively.

Edited by chiefwigum

Train drivers can earn a very good wage (£50K plus) but it appears to be very much a closed shop as far as outsiders getting a post.

Sort your CV out first and foremost, have a look on LinkedIn, there are a few samples thereon along with a large network of cops, ex cops and companies looking to recruit.

You will have some certificated qualifications and a whole host of other things you are self qualified in, which you will need to include. In my humble opinion of course.

Chief, at the risk of upsetting Zulu, you could always reduce your hours and use the extra free time to study or look for other work. That way you're not committed to leaving the police and could return to full time if you changed your mind. I know an inspector who works part time hours and runs a business on the extra days off. If you don't go into the new pension scheme the money saved would probably make up for the reduction in salary. I know there's this cultural attitude which frowns on part-time officers, but those of us who have taken plunge have found there is a whole other world out there!

Chief, at the risk of upsetting Zulu, you could always reduce your hours and use the extra free time to study or look for other work. That way you're not committed to leaving the police and could return to full time if you changed your mind. I know an inspector who works part time hours and runs a business on the extra days off. If you don't go into the new pension scheme the money saved would probably make up for the reduction in salary. I know there's this cultural attitude which frowns on part-time officers, but those of us who have taken plunge have found there is a whole other world out there!

Exactly what I was going to post. I did my degree part time a couple of years ago, whilst working full time. With part time hours you could possibly do a full time degree. You mentioned teaching, you could do a BEd perhaps? 

I'll be interested to see what other options people provide here having had the (mis)fortune of recently being let go from the police due to an injury sustained at work. I have a similar background to you Chief in term of joining at a young age, 18 in my case. I'm also in my 30's with very similar qualifications. Having spent the best part of 3 months now trawling job sites and applying to recruitment agencies i hear the same thing every time "you are exactly what we're looking for in the security sector" which translates to "we want you as a security guard earning 18-20K a year but you have to go get your SIA licence first".

Good luck on the career change if you do decide to take that leap and i look forward to following this thread.

You could always act as an etiquette advisor to current or former Tories, which after all that would be a full time job.

Nex's 2 posts reinforce my advice not to burn your bridges in the police before finding out what other options there are.

I'd opt for a change of working circumstances

Change role - get a desk job, recover from being burned out, take on some 9/5, Mon / Fri...

There is a lot more to police work than frontline 24/7 policing...

Take a sanity step back and let the youngsters do their bit

A rest is as good as a change, after all

Failing that, take a career break or go part time...

Which force is that where you can get a 9-5 desk job if you're fully fit or not intimately acquainted with senior management?!

I agree about being burned out but it usually elicits a response about shelf-stacking in a generic supermarket where I work!

I'd opt for a change of working circumstances

Change role - get a desk job, recover from being burned out, take on some 9/5, Mon / Fri...

There is a lot more to police work than frontline 24/7 policing...

Take a sanity step back and let the youngsters do their bit

A rest is as good as a change, after all

Failing that, take a career break or go part time...

I have only recently changed roles, to a job i actually applied for. Custody suite manager (new term to try and glamourise the custody sgt) after two months and in reality 3 shifts of the new model of working coming into being in practice its a nightmare. This is not just because its custody because I have probably spent about 5 years in total performing the custody sgt role. I was sold a dream that it would be good for promotion prospects but at the minute it seems like its going to be anything but.

Its just one thing after another really all adding up. The fact you are now under more scrutiny, expected to do more with less, the pay is getting worse, my pension has been massively eroded, theres no real career development prospects, the shifts are starting to catch up with me, etc etc etc thats making me feel this way. 

Maybe Im just in a massive rut? maybe its really time to jump ship? I don't really know? I don't know who to talk to about it either, my wife who is also a serving cop is sick of me at the minute and i don't blame her to be honest. I am not a fun person to be around.

Which force is that where you can get a 9-5 desk job if you're fully fit or not intimately acquainted with senior management?!

I agree about being burned out but it usually elicits a response about shelf-stacking in a generic supermarket where I work!

mm how dare you, I retire in about a year and I am quite hopeful of stacking shelves part time at that juncture.........although I will be aiming for the heady heights of Aldi as they pay better. 

Have you thought of transferring to another force, one that pays more for a start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sign in to follow this