Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

schoe

30 years, what then?

Just over 4 years to go for me.

I will still  need to work as will still have young children and a mortgage.

I would like to try something different with flexible hours and holidays when it suits me.

Any suggestions. Should I start to retrain for something now and if so what? 

What have others done?

Many thanks in advance.

If you want to use your police experience there are always jobs as civilian investigators on major enquiries and the like. You might have to travel a bit for these, though, depending on where you live. Solicitors also hire ex-cops for investigation work like taking statements for traffic cases etc.

If you fancy something different after 30 years you can either re-train from scratch, I guess, or see if you can use previous qualifications or skills gained outside the job.

Work for yourself is the first thing , you then work when you want to rather than someone telling you when .

Depends what you are good at , i am very handy when it comes to work around the house car bike and garden , so i now do things that others don't want to do or can't . Word of mouth only , no advertising . People also really appreciate what i do now and show it . 

I don't need to earn much , if anything , so it does also depend on how much money you need .

I will PM you with details of a personal business i have started that is compatible with my job and a business interest has been authourised.

If anyone else wants to know more PM me.

I am entitled to soft sell to colleagues and public so no harm done.

Schoe I could not pm you as you were not on the messaging system.

[web address removed]. if interested.

Edited by 999tommo
Sorry but the web address posted has been removed. No links to commercial businesses are permitted.

First thing is, tempting as it may be, you don't have to go as soon as you can as long as your pension and commutation isn't adversely affected. Some say why work for half pay, but then again why not jobseek on full pay safe in the knowledge that if the right opportunity comes up, or you get fooked about once too often, you are 4 weeks away from a new life. 

Look up the redsnapper or blueline careers websites for job related employment.

Don't underestimate the skills you have that are sought after in civvy life in areas you might not consider you qualify for ... as a cop you carry out people management, make decisions under stress, do dynamic risk analysis, and lots more ... and also have hopefully developed a work ethic that makes you a good bet for a number of jobs where supervision is at a minimum. Driving skills stand you in good stead with executive chauffeuring companies, your IT skills may well be of use too. 

In short don't undersell yourself. 

Thanks for the suggestions so far, anybody got any business idea's with low start up costs?

Thanks for the suggestions so far, anybody got any business idea's with low start up costs?

Big question. That would be something you can do or provide without significant overheads for premises, equipment or stock. My ex boss does peoples gardens just to keep busy and get exercise, I know of another who is now the village postman. 

But: Is there a market, if there is how many folk are already doing it locally. How will you advertise your service/product? How will you guarantee it can be economically viable at a price that attracts customers? Don't forget things like indemnity insurance, tax returns, VAT etc.

... and having had a bad experience with a business venture, if it doesn't work have the balls to walk away from it before all the savings have gone.    

Chiefwigum - Are protected officers not permitted to ask questions here anymore?

Staying on would be a genuine option.

• Like 1