Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
Reynard10

NICHE

Hi All, just wondering whether your forces are using this "new" system which has the appearance and feel of a computer program made in the 80's..

Well we've "upgraded" to this system now.. No-one knows how to use it - the most user-unfriendly system ever imposed on us and now they are threatening us with PDR entries and unsatisfactory performance if we keep making errors.. These errors are simple to make in what must be the most complicated, unintuitive system our force has ever used..

Progress..

We got Niche (once described as not fit for purpose, but we kind of lost fifteen million...no one to blame, it happens!!!)

No one has a clue...awful unfriendly multi multi multi screen system.

We had CIS which although dated, was easy to use..

We use NICHE just for managing custody i.e. prisoners and the file process management.  Apart from that we still use CIS although NICHE does have capability of supplanting that role as well.

TBH now that we are used to it, which took a while, it is pretty straight forward to use, however it has a lot of functionality which either no one uses or is useful  for managers.

I heard that we moved from NSPIS as support for that system was going to be withdrawn, however I've now heard that the MRT are still using it and have invested money in supporting it.

A typical example of a system purchased by the top brass.. That they will never use, not tested by the troops then forced upon us.. They are even calling us "resistant to change"!!! You couldn't make it up..

• Like 1

I quite like NICHE, known by a different name in our farce.

Admittedly I am a frequent user / inputter with high permissions, but I bet good results from it, we use it to task, intel, domestics, hate incidents, all other sorts of forms etc etc.

The only gripe I really have is the multiple entries for nominal, addresses, because any person can add them. When we had CIS, only the LIOs could enter info, so very few duplications. But on the whole I find it easy to use.

Niche is a records management system - so known to some as RMS - and is currently the most popular crime and intelligence system used in E&W. (By popular I mean more forces use this than any other single system).

Like all police RMS's it has other modules like case and custody, but some Niche forces use NSPIS for those.

We recently changed from a very old system that everyone complains was out of date to a new windows based system. More up to date than Niche and everyone hates it and wishes we had the old system back!!

That's just people though - complain about what you've got and how everyone else has it better but change it and no one understands the new way so complains about that.

Sent from me using witchcraft

RMS NICHE or ATLAS as it was first called, has been running in Cheshire for about 6/7 years in various roles and expanding.

Used for Custody, Collision recording, VA Interviews, Intel, Electronic case file submission, crime recording.

Fortunately I have little day to day interaction with it due to my role consists of dealing with foreign drivers and use Graduated fixed penalties.

We use NSPIS for command and control with interfaces with NICHE and with populate an occurrence in NICHE with stuff like names, VRMS location to save time.

It gets better with time as once a person is created in it, the next time they come to notice. Say arrested again, you search the name and assuming nothing had changed its a quick click and its done.

Yes there are complicated "Workflows" to send tasks, but I found if you liken a task to in effect an email saying to you, " Ok look at this and do what is needed" it makes sense.

We use Niche all the way in Canada (someone once told me it was a Canadian system, if that's true... you're welcome!)

The thing is, the bosses here realized pretty early on that it was very user unfriendly, so they created a 'Gateway', which is is really good interface with Niche. It means that on the road in the cars we have access to most of Niche but if we need to come into the station to have a really detailed look at a statement or a court document, we can access the 'full' Niche directly. Apparently our 'Gateway' was so good someone sold it to the RCMP, but again I have no idea if this is true or not.

As a side note, we've recently adopted CARM which has had our members cursing British police. A British expat recently came over for a ride-along and spent a long time showing everyone how to use it correctly!

Niche is a brilliant tool. It takes a long while to get your head around and 6 years on, I am still learning! The great thing about Niche is everything is linked. There have been questions asked of Niche and why all police forces won't buy into it at one time. People seem to think this will never happen because if all forces are using the one system, Niche are likely to hike up their prices.

I'd personally like to see EVERYTHING recorded on Niche in future rather than having a million other systems and passwords too.