Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Sign in to follow this  
Pork Pie

Is the fitness test really this easy?

So I found out that level 5:4 is 525m of running in 3m 36s. I appreciate the turns make it more demanding, but this is over 11 minute mile pace.

This equates to over 34 minutes for a 5k, and you only have to run a tenth of the distance!

I haven't done the test for a few years - is it really as easy as it sounds?

No.

I have whats commonly known as policemans foot plantar facitis,arthritis in the feet and probably a hip replacement requirement.

They won't accept a tougher swimming alternative.So hopefully my service will be up before it actually matters.

I'm 50 and I can do it, how I will fair nearer 55 or older will be interesting!

It's easy if you can do it and impossible if you can't...

It is a government tool to divide those who can police operationally from those who can't

Those who can't face a pay drop after 12 months of 3K, then UPP year two. If they don't fight UPP then will be transferred to a police staff job. If they fight UPP they will transfer to a police staff job after they have lost the UPP process...(Winsor betrays his plan here and doesn't even allow for the possibility of an officer winning at the end of the UPP process). The penalty for fighting UPP is you only get a police staff job if one is available, though you will have had an extra year's police officer pay whilst fighting it and therefore an extra year on your pension...mind you, if you become police staff your police pension will be put off until you are, well, who knows...

If those failingg the bleep test or those not eligible to take it happen to meet the definition of being permanently restricted from operational policing on the basis of disability, they will receive a medical pension, rather than getting a police staff job...

No.I have whats commonly known as policemans foot plantar facitis,arthritis in the feet and probably a hip replacement requirement.They won't accept a tougher swimming alternative.So hopefully my service will be up before it actually matters.

Join the club. Arthritis is a specific disability under the act, which means the equality act applies...that should or will result in permenant restriction and ultimately a medical pension...which may not suit everyone, but...

There remain a number of restricted officers who still police operationally. If for medical reasons they can't do the bleep test, there WILL be an alternative laid on

PST is the test of deployability, not the bleep test. If you can complete PST, but fail the bleep test, you remain deployable, though subject to UPP, though physical fitness is only a small part of the bigger picture of your skills...

Edited by Picard999

Unless you're disabled its so easy it feels like a complete waste of your time, it has been done 3 legged and running backwards. 

I agree with Picard, it's not a test of deployability. That test would mean you are fit enough to climb over a small wall or restrain someone, maybe jog more than 40 yards to catch someone. You get the idea, I think its a joke!

I agree, the fitness test is indeed easy...........for some. I have no problem completing it. However I have quite a few pals who are infinitely fitter tha I who struggle with it, due to the turns. It's a joke.

As some have said, it's easy if you can pass it & difficult if you can't!

It doesn't matter how fit I am these days. I do aerobic exercise 3 times a week, but not for as long as I used to as my muscles don't seem to recover as they did, but I can pass this test.

What I can't do however, in full body armour, is stand a chance of catching a fleeing criminal aged 10 upwards!! They are off like poo off a stick, I am left shouting 'I know who are you..........' Or occasionally 'Stop!! Police dogs.......'

I appreciate being fitter may enable me to grapple with someone for longer, but running? For any great distance? At 50? Narp.......

Here's a real test.

Cop 43yrs old, grappling with 20yr old scaffolder. It was touch & go. Made easier by the arrival of traffic, even took their hands out of their pockets! :-[:-[

• Like 1

It's easy if you can do it and impossible if you can't...

It is a government tool to divide those who can police operationally from those who can't

Those who can't face a pay drop after 12 months of 3K, then UPP year two. If they don't fight UPP then will be transferred to a police staff job. If they fight UPP they will transfer to a police staff job after they have lost the UPP process...(Winsor betrays his plan here and doesn't even allow for the possibility of an officer winning at the end of the UPP process). The penalty for fighting UPP is you only get a police staff job if one is available, though you will have had an extra year's police officer pay whilst fighting it and therefore an extra year on your pension...mind you, if you become police staff your police pension will be put off until you are, well, who knows...

If those failingg the bleep test or those not eligible to take it happen to meet the definition of being permanently restricted from operational policing on the basis of disability, they will receive a medical pension, rather than getting a police staff job...

So do you think there shouldn't be a fitness test? Or a different one? I seem to recall that Winsor suggested going over to the N Ireland one. What about that?

It's a simple and cheap mass health screening, designed to root out and deal with the chronically ill and injured.

Running at an average speed of 5mph for three minutes is not a test of 'fitness' to be a police officer. It is pitched at a level that I honestly think many under 10s or over 70s could complete. Obviously, that does not mean that a small child is 'fit' to be a police officer. It is ridiculous.

I used to do the firearms fitness test every year and often got tagged onto the 'new recruits' session. Every time one of them would drop out at the point the rest of us were still chatting to one another. We'd only just finished a fast walk and were just starting to jog slowly! It wasn't an injury, they were genuinely out of breath. We used to do fat percentages, now that would be telling!!!!!!!!!!!!

So do you think there shouldn't be a fitness test? Or a different one? I seem to recall that Winsor suggested going over to the N Ireland one. What about that?

I have no issue with the test, but the politics behind it concern me.

When I say it's not a test of deployability that's not me talking - it's my force's Winsor Implementation Team. The literal test of deployability is personal safety training. If you can't complete that, you can't be deployed, so for the purposes of the government's initiative, they may as well have just used PST as the screening tool, rather than spend £10m nationwide on this test that IMHO adds nothing to the equation in that there are restricted officers who can't do PST but can well pass the bleep (can run, but don't have the grip for a baton), just as you can be sure there are those who pass PST (because unless you are medically prevented from taking part, certainly in my force you can't fail) but wouldn't have a hope of passing the bleep (because they are massively unfit and or overweight). For me, it just adds an extra layer of bureaucracy and legal challenge later..

If there's anyone worried about restriction / bleep / UPP / disability, take it from me, by the time its sorted in July it will be so diluted that it won't make a material difference. I'm very confident about that.

Re the PNSI test - that has already been rejected...PAT said, 'we'll evaluate this bleep test and decide where to go from there...'

Edited by Picard999
  • Like 1

I think a lot of people on here have used the same, including banging and barking against the side of a van. :D

I am left shouting 'I know who are you..........' Or occasionally 'Stop!! Police dogs.......'

Sign in to follow this