Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

BIkerider

Death by Prank

The nurse who took the hoax call from Australia where two persons pretended to be members of the Royal Family has been found dead. The death is being treated as 'unexplained' but it thought generally to be suicide as a result of what happened. If this is correct I hope those two morons responsible are pleased with themselves.

• Like 7

Apparently the two Aussie twats have been suspended, however, the "joke" is still doing the rounds in the outback. About time we gave them what they want, and got shot of them, as there seems to be little to no respect from them.

yes it is sad, but I was disgusted at what this so called 'joke' had resulted in. Absolutely thoughtless and only self interest in mind. They need introducing to a red back spider!

Very sad for the nurse's family and colleagues but let's keep some perspective on this. The radio presenters did not kill her, the prank was just that, a prank similar to hundreds or thousands played around the world every day.

Noel Edmunds, Candid Camera, Jeremy Beadle etc etc played much more annoying pranks on people without such sad consequences. Millions of people find that highly amusing.

I think that Ms Saldanha must have had more serious problems than this call, unfortunately it may have sent her over the edge. Of course her death may have nothing at all to do with the prank.

If she was not dead people would be laughing at the joke and/or condemning her for being so foolish to believe it was really the Queen on the phone.

• Like 1

Very sad for the nurse's family and colleagues but let's keep some perspective on this. The radio presenters did not kill her, the prank was just that, a prank similar to hundreds or thousands played around the world every day.

Noel Edmunds, Candid Camera, Jeremy Beadle etc etc played much more annoying pranks on people without such sad consequences. Millions of people find that highly amusing.

I think that Ms Saldanha must have had more serious problems than this call, unfortunately it may have sent her over the edge. Of course her death may have nothing at all to do with the prank.

If she was not dead people would be laughing at the joke and/or condemning her for being so foolish to believe it was really the Queen on the phone.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well I for one wasn't laughing at the original 'prank'! What they did was irresponsible, stupid and the product if a totally insensitive mindset.

So tell me this Reasonable Man, how many times has someone been killed elsewhere because someone else did something which on the face of it was harmless(?) and this act resulted in a death. Whether it was by the deceased's hand or someone else's matters NOT ONE IOTA!!. How were they to know what the reaction or end result was likely to be? How were they to know that the deceased lady had a nervous and probably very sensitive disposition? No they wouldn't, but I bet they didn't one single thought that this may be the case and didn't give damn before hand.

The lady obviously took the situation so seriously that she came to the fatal decision and she must not be condemned for that, but those Aussies, well that's a different matter

The lady was not originally from this country and was obviously convinced who the caller was, so put yourself in the position she was in. What was she to do when the call came through? Tell them to piss off and try something else? Just imaging the outrage if it had ACTUALLY been the Queen. So that tac doesn't hold water.

Overall it just goes to show that media intrusion of the worst kind is still prolific all over the world.

Apart from that what was to have been a very happy time for the two members of the Royal Family has been forever tarnished.

• Like 4

I have always hated the TV pranks. Cringeworthy and embarrassing at best. But for this poor lady to take her life like that wasn't predictable.

I know of someone who killed himself recently, appartently very happy. It's frightening.

The radion station has done similar before, apparently wiring up a 14yr old girl to a lie detector who revealed she had beed abused aged 12 , if radio stations have to stoop so low and resort to childish pathetic pranks it just shows how little talent the presenters have.

The presenters could not have imagined the results of their actions, but people need to realise that actions have consequences, in this case for them, their possible sacking and loss of revenue for the station.

It would be something if these two twits came on TV and made a public apology instead of hiding away

• Like 3

Apparantly the station has given the excuse that the independent radio stations are at war for ratings which in turn affects what they can charge for advertising.

The presenters should be sacked.However how many people will tune in online to this station as a direct result to see what they are up to.God knows how many you tube hits the conversation has now had.All advertising for the station.It must be the most famous radio station in the world at the moment.

British TV is a world leader in pranking shows right back to candid camera,game for a laugh, beadle,the gotchas and the recent dirge by Dom Joly.

Also in a thrust for viewing figures the BBC can hang it's head in shame with Noels house party in 1986 when in an outrageous stunt during that series when viewing figures were dropping Michael Lush lost his life.

So tell me this Reasonable Man, how many times has someone been killed elsewhere because someone else did something which on the face of it was harmless(?) and this act resulted in a death. Whether it was by the deceased's hand or someone else's matters NOT ONE IOTA!!. How were they to know what the reaction or end result was likely to be? How were they to know that the deceased lady had a nervous and probably very sensitive disposition? No they wouldn't, but I bet they didn't one single thought that this may be the case and didn't give damn before hand.

I don't know how many people have died as a result of a direct, indirect or very tenuous link to some other action by some other person. In my 30 years I have been subject and instigator of several in job 'pranks'. Getting the probationer to qualify as a pursuit cyclist on the the station's push bike, sending them up on the roof of the nick on 'fire watch', being given a lift by the area car and fooled into getting out several miles from the nick to see that car drive off, phone back Mr G Raff (the number is for the zoo) etc etc.

Mates in other jobs talk of the classic asking stores for a tin of tartan paint, sky hooks, a skirting ladder, a long weight (wait).

Maybe someone, somewhere has been very upset by these cruel and heartless acts where the prankster gave no thought as to how sensitive the target was.

You seem to advocate an end to all such acts. What a dull world that would be.

• Like 2

Targeted pranks are OK, but this was so random, that they did not know who would answer the phone, and that is where things can go wrong and lead to the current result.

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20651246

I think we all agree the nurse taking her life is a terrible tragedy, but I am getting rather uneasy about the level of vituperation aimed at the presenters. Yes, it was a crass thing to do, but I don't think anyone would have believed someone would take thier life over the matter. Other serious consequences, yes, perhaps, such as loss of a job, which would be serious enough, but to suiicide over it seems an extreme reaction and as such, unpredictable. I think they predicted a flea in their ear, not to be put through.

Yes, they made an error of judgement, but we need to remember that they will be feeling awful about this. We don't want to see two more exrtreme reactions... how would we feel then? Because those tweeting and shouting will be as culpable as these two are in the nurse's death.

People are rightly angry, but ti's really a bewildered upset, and as such, we lash out at the nearest suitable target.

Listeners to the radio station have some responsibility because if they truly didn't like the pranks, they either would not listen or would make their feelings known.

The fact that the station has been criticised twice before also makes me uneasy. What culpability has the management here?

And what culpability do we have as viewers and listeners to crass TV and radio? We all like a joke, and jokes sometimes cross the boundaries of decency and what is right.

I think we need to be careful of internet mob violence.

• Like 3

I can't believe the vitriol in some of the comments aimed at the radio presenters. They rung a hospital and pretended to be the Queen and Prince Phil'. There were pretend Corgis barking in the background and someone pretending to be Charles, saying "Mummy! Mummy!" and offering to take the Corgi's for a walk.

Now reading some of the comments there are some out there who want the DJ's charged with murder!!

I think some people need a reality check. It was a meaningless prank; nothing more.

Personally the fact that the nurse died IMHO has nothing/very, very little to do with the prank. She must have had far more serious issues.

I've been working in the Motor Trade for 25+ years............ I should have killed myself a dozen times over by now!

Sent out for Antifreeze for a Beetle, a long weight, a left handed screwdriver, a wick for an old headlamp, spark plugs for a diesel. A hundred different things done to my desk and computer including some interesting screen savers.....

All that needs to happen now is for something bad to happen to the DJ's.Then we can blame the Queen as it was her voice that caused all this in the first place........

• Like 3