Disable-Adblock.png

We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk

Bouncer

Car interior lights on at night

I have just come in from walking the dogs. Whilst I was walking on an unlit pavement, an oncoming car drove up onto the pavement in front of us, nearly hitting us. I engaged the driver in polite conversation - not - and noticed that his interor light was on. He claimed not to have seen us.

I know bus drivers have a screen to cut down reflections in their screen from lights in the bus, but is it legal to drive a car at night with the interior light on? Just being in a room with the light on makes it darker outside, and I am sure it must have an effect, especially as the light is shining into the drivers eyes.

Sorry to go on, but I am livid.

Surely the driving onto the pavement is the careless bit, his admission to not seeing the ped, is secondary.

On the OP, no offence of itself but with enough supporting evidence it may be a factor - but that supporting evidence would probably have tocome from the driver.

Your original query re light. I'm certainly not aware of this rule within the road vehicle lighting regs 1989. The only scrap of a chance may be if the interior light is white AND it is showing to the rear (which I would doubt) so that it is visible from outside the rear of the vehicle. The offence there is 'showing a light other than red to the rear'.

When you think about it a car has numerous lights with in the cockpit nowadays, one more located in the roof probably won't make much difference. (Sat-navs, instrument dials, radios etc)

AS already pointed out, he has committed an offence of (1) Driving on the footway (Sec 72 Highways act)1835); (2) Depending if you were in-convenienced another more serious offence of Driving without reasonable consideration for other road users (sec 3 RTA '88) This would also tie in with the Due Care.

If you are greeted with unforunate circumstances again you have the power (even as a civillian) to require the drivers name and address, if you were to have reasonable grounds to require them, if it is alledged that person has committed and offence dangerous or careless driving. (Sec 168 RTA '88) similarily this aplies to cyclists as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks folks. In my car the interior light is very bright, and would be (IMO) a distraction whilst driving. Since it happened, I have noticed a number of people drive with their interior light on. Won't bother to try it myself though!

There are map reading lights as well, these aren't as bad as they are a more directional beam.

Don't like driving with interior lights on at night personally.

There would be no offences in itself for driving with the interior light on, but this coupled with the other circumstances could be a Section 3 careless or even a Section 2 dangerous.  A potential distraction isn't an offence until it actually distracts and something else results.  Tuning your radio or swapping your CD is a distraction, which most people can do whilst driving without any problems.  Some however make a meal of it and cause an accident.

Just heard on our news about a bloke who caused a fatal accident, reaching into the passenger footwell to pick up his phone, which had fallen off his dashboard.  His 6 year stretch might make him think about distractions, although he'll probably only do 3.

There would be no offences in itself for driving with the interior light on' date=' but this coupled with the other circumstances could be a Section 3 careless or even a Section 2 dangerous.  A potential distraction isn't an offence until it actually distracts and something else results.  Tuning your radio or swapping your CD is a distraction, which most people can do whilst driving without any problems.  Some however make a meal of it and cause an accident.

Just heard on our news about a bloke who caused a fatal accident, reaching into the passenger footwell to pick up his phone, which had fallen off his dashboard.  His 6 year stretch might make him think about distractions, although he'll probably only do 3.

[/quote'] At least he got disqualified for TWELVE YEARS, thats more realistic than most disquals.

At least he got disqualified for TWELVE YEARS' date=' thats more realistic than most disquals.[/quote']

True, but he can apply for restoration of his licence after just 5 years.