We have detected that your browser is using AdBlock

Police Community is a not for profit organisation and advertising revenue is key to our continued viability.

Please disable your AdBlocker on our site in order to continue using it.
This message will disappear once AdBlock has been disabled.

Thank you for your support - we appreciate it !

If you feel you are getting this message in error please email support@policecommunity.co.uk


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 06/02/18 in all areas

  1. 1 point
    Patrick Gibbins was nicknamed "Pat the Cat" by his colleagues in Scotland Yard's Flying Squad because he survived so many battles with violent criminals unscathed. A familiar figure in London policing during the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies, Gibbins investigated armed robbers and gangs including the Richardsons, who ruled swathes of the South London underworld. Gibbins twice won the British Empire Medal. The first awarded after the capture in 1964 of Walter Probyn an armed robber and habitual escapee whose exploits captivated the newspapers of the Fifties and Sixties. The second award followed six years later. Probyn had broken out of prison for the 15th time when Gibbins and a police team were tipped off that he was hiding in East London with his wife. The couple were seen to go into a shop in Poplar and the police moved in to arrest him. Probyn fired nine shots as he tried to evade capture. His wife was carrying 174 rounds of ammunition and repeatedly urged her husband to kill Officers. Gibbins managed to grab Mrs Probyn and hold her against the stolen car in which the couple had been planning to escape. Probyn, on the other side of the car, fired twice at Gibbins but missed. Probyn was later sentenced to 12 years for attempting to murder Gibbins. Gibbins was given his second award in 1970 after a gang of robbers tried to ambush a cash delivery to a firm. Gibbins and another officer went after two members of the gang. Both suspects were armed with iron bars and had a bucket filled with ammonia. One robber swung his weapon at Gibbins but the detective knocked him over by swinging the car door at him. As the second man came at him wielding his iron bar Gibbins knocked him down with a punch, but the first robber then smashed Gibbins over the head with his iron bar. Gibbins, blood flowing down his face and clothes, chased after him for half a mile before collapsing through loss of blood. The blow to his head left Gibbins with permanent injuries and he was forced to retire. He had earned 14 Commissioner's commendations, nine commendations from Old Bailey judges and a commendation from the Director of Public Prosecutions. Patrick Gibbins was born in Kenton, North London, in 1930. His father was a publican and he was brought up in Berkshire. He completed his National Service as a Corporal in the Royal Air Force Police and joined the Metropolitan Police in 1950. Patrick Gibbins, BEM and Bar Died on May 25, 2013 aged 83
  2. 1 point
    Based on the Information she had at the time - bearing mind she had only taken over the reigns 20 mins before - her decision making was found to be faultless. The result was bad but that's another matter. We often hear, and read on here, about junior officers who make decisions and then are castigated by the 'nine o'clock jury' who have the luxury of time and hindsight to find fault. Ms Dick was subjected to the greatest possible scrutiny and found to be blameless for her decision making. Quite rightly her career has not been halted by the end result of that decision being unfortunate. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. 1 point
    Let's not forget that there are hundreds just like him, who took Policing seriously and put protecting and serving the public as the first priority. The public owe so much to people like him.