Welcome to PoliceUK.com

PoliceUK has been online since May 2002 and since that time has grown to be the number one resource for police recruitment information in the UK.

Every year thousands of people apply to join any one of 55 Home Office and non-Home Office forces in the United Kingdom. Only a fraction (approximately 8%) of these applicants are successful. PoliceUK has the information to give you the best possible chance to be a part of that 8%!

This site focuses predominantly on the career path of a Constable however there are several other career options, some of which you can find information about on this site. Want to provide a visible presence on the streets? Reassure the community and tackle antisocial behaviour? The role of a Police Community Support Officer could be for you! Want to support your front line colleagues by performing vital support roles behind the scenes? How about one of the many roles performed by the Police Support Staff? PoliceUK has information on all the careers available in the UK Police Force. You can navigate around the site using the navigation menu to the left of your screen.

The PoliceUK Forum was launched on May 2003 and has become the most popular area of the site. The site has 8,000 registered members who have contributed almost 150,000 posts to nearly 11,000 topics. We have a diverse range of users in the forum, from those who are interested but are yet to apply, to experienced Constables with several years service. If you have a recruitment related question but cannot find the answer at PoliceUK then you are bound to find the answer in the PoliceUK Forum.

We here at PoliceUK love to hear your views about the site. What have we got right? What could be better? Use the Guestbook or contact us by Email through the Contact Page.

BBC: May to face leadership challenge 12 December 2018 UK Prime Minister Theresa May will face a vote of no confidence in her leadership later on Wednesday This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version. You can receive Breaking News on a smartphone or tablet via the BBC News App. You can also follow @BBCBreaking on Twitter to get the latest alerts. View the full article Read this BBC: Pressure mounting on Theresa May from Tory MPs Pressure mounting on Theresa May from Tory MPs 11 December 2018 Image copyright PA Tory Brexiteers have told the BBC they are increasingly confident they will have enough support to trigger a no-confidence vote in Theresa May. However, there is no official confirmation that the threshold of 48 letters from Tory MPs has been reached. Several sources, including a cabinet minister, have told the BBC they believe 48 letters have been submitted. The BBC has also been told that senior backbencher Sir Graham Brady has asked to see the PM on Wednesday. Sir Graham Brady, the chair of the backbench 1922 committee to whom MPs have to address their letters, would make no comment. Downing Street sources are playing down an imminent move and say they have had no contact from Sir Graham. Kuenssberg: Is PM about to face a confidence vote? Mrs May has spent the day meeting EU leaders and officials in The Hague, Berlin and Brussels, in efforts to salvage her Brexit deal - which faces major opposition in Parliament. Her decision to delay the vote on the terms of the UK's withdrawal from the EU, which had been due to take place on Tuesday, has caused anger across the party. The prime minister is due to travel to Dublin on Wednesday after hosting a weekly meeting of her cabinet and facing Prime Minister's Questions. View the full article Read this BBC: Russell Bishop jailed for 1986 Babes in the Wood murders Russell Bishop jailed for 1986 Babes in the Wood murders 11 December 2018 Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionKaren Hadaway and Nicola Fellows disappeared while out playing Convicted paedophile Russell Bishop has been jailed for life for the murders of two schoolgirls 32 years ago. The Babes in the Wood killer will serve a minimum of 36 years after being found guilty at a second trial on Monday. Bishop, aged 20 in 1986, killed nine-year-olds Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway in a woodland den in Brighton. In 1987 he was cleared of their murders, but within three years kidnapped another girl and left her for dead, the Old Bailey heard. "Finally, justice has been done and Bishop has been seen as the evil monster he really is," Karen's mother Michelle Hadaway said following the verdict. Bishop, aged 52, who was already serving a life term for attempting to murder the seven-year-old girl at Devil's Dyke in 1990, had refused to attend court for his sentencing. In his absence the judge Mr Justice Sweeney, described him as a "predatory paedophile" who had shown no remorse. 'Cowardly' killer's three decades of lies How Russell Bishop walked free in 1987 "The terror that each girl must have suffered in their final moments is unimaginable," he said. Bishop was told he would face a new trial for Karen and Nicola's killings under the double jeopardy law, after a DNA breakthrough in the case. A sweatshirt discarded on his route home linked him to the scene while a sample from Karen's left forearm revealed a "one in a billion" DNA match, the jury heard. Image copyright Sussex Police Image caption Bishop was originally cleared of the girls' murders in 1987 In a victim impact statement Nicola's mother, Sue Eismann, said her world "turned upside down" after Bishop killed her daughter. "I have lived with the pain, the loss and sheer hate towards him for what he had done for the last 32 years," she said. "Russell Bishop is a horrible, wicked man. No child is safe if he is allowed to be free." Det Sup Jeff Riley, of Sussex Police, described Bishop as a "truly wicked man". "Bishop will hopefully spend the remainder of his life behind bars where he truly belongs and never darken the streets of Brighton again," he said following the sentencing. "This significant term of imprisonment will of course never make up for the loss of Karen and Nicola but I hope their families will take some comfort from it." View the full article Read this BBC: Man held by armed police at UK Parliament 11 December 2018 Image copyright Reuters A man is being held by armed police officers inside the grounds of Parliament in Westminster. It is not understood to be terror related. BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg says she saw the man on the ground when she first saw the disturbance. He is back on his feet in handcuffs and talking to officers, she tweeted. View the full article Read this BBC: Brexit: Theresa May to meet EU leaders in bid to rescue deal Brexit: Theresa May to meet EU leaders in bid to rescue deal 11 December 2018 Related TopicsBrexit Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionTheresa May announces Tuesday's planned Brexit deal will not go ahead: "I've listened very carefully" Theresa May will meet European leaders and EU officials later for talks aimed at rescuing her Brexit deal. She will hold talks with Dutch PM Mark Rutte and Germany's Angela Merkel after postponing MPs' final vote on the deal. The UK PM has said she needs "further assurances" about the Northern Ireland border plan to get Commons backing. European Council President Donald Tusk insisted the EU would "not renegotiate" but said leaders would discuss how to help "facilitate UK ratification". Work and Pensions Secretary Amber Rudd said further talks with Brussels would focus on the Brexit "backstop" on the Irish border, which Mrs May earlier admitted had caused MPs "widespread and deep concern". Kuenssberg: Now what? Backstop changes 'not possible' - Irish PM Sturgeon: Brexit vote delay is 'cowardice' The PM's abrupt U-turn - after days of repeated insistence that the vote would go ahead - prompted Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to secure a three-hour emergency debate on Tuesday. "It cannot be right that the government can unilaterally alter the arrangements," said Mr Corbyn, who earlier accused Mrs May of "losing control of events". No date has been set for the deal to again be put before MPs, although Mrs May indicated the final deadline for the vote was 21 January. In other Brexit developments: A Labour backbencher was expelled from the Commons after grabbing the ceremonial mace in protest Former Prime Minister David Cameron insisted he had no regrets about calling the referendum, saying he had "made a promise" to do so The Brexit secretary said policy "had not changed" despite a European court ruling the UK could cancel Brexit without permission from the other 27 EU members So, what next for Mrs May? The prime minister told MPs on Monday that a number of European leaders had "indicated that they are open to discussions to find a way to provide reassurance" over the backstop. However, Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar said it was not possible to renegotiate the Irish border backstop proposal without "opening up all aspects" of the Brexit withdrawal agreement. And Mr Tusk pointed out in a tweet that time for discussion was running out. Image Copyright @eucopresident @eucopresident Report Image Copyright @eucopresident @eucopresident Report European leaders were already due in Brussels at a summit on Thursday but Mr Tusk's spokesman said they would now meet specifically to discuss how to prepare for a no-deal scenario. Mrs May will set off on another intense round of diplomacy before then, travelling to The Hague and Berlin to meet her Dutch and German counterparts on Tuesday. She will then meet Mr Tusk and European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker in Brussels. The BBC's Brussels reporter Adam Fleming said Mrs May was "trying get more legal oomph behind the language" in the withdrawal agreement about the EU using "best endeavours" to get a trade deal which would remove the need for the backstop to be used. What do critics not like about the deal? Dozens of Conservative MPs had been planning to join forces with Labour, the SNP, the Lib Dems, Plaid Cymru and the DUP to vote down Mrs May's deal. The Tory rebels and the DUP do not like the Northern Ireland "backstop", a legally-binding proposal for a customs arrangement with the EU, which would come into force if the two sides cannot agree a future relationship which avoids the return of customs checkpoints on the Irish border. Tory MPs say it is unacceptable because it would result in new regulatory barriers between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK and could continue indefinitely, because the UK would not be able to leave without the EU's approval. DUP leader Arlene Foster said she had told the prime minister in a phone call that the "backstop must go". Will Labour now table a vote of no confidence in the PM? Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionJeremy Corbyn says the government has "lost control" and was in "complete disarray". Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn had been hoping to force a general election if Mrs May had lost Tuesday's planned vote, by tabling a vote of no confidence. In his reaction to Mrs May's announcement that the vote would be delayed, he urged the PM to stand down because her government was now in "chaos". But Labour has rejected calls from the SNP, the Lib Dems and some of its own MPs, to hold a vote of no confidence in the prime minister on Tuesday. A Labour Party spokesperson said it had more chance of success when the deal came back before MPs. However, Labour will seek to keep the pressure on the PM in an emergency debate in the Commons - which was granted after MPs were denied a say in the cancellation of Tuesday's vote. Please upgrade your browser Your guide to Brexit jargon Enter the word or phrase you are looking for Search View the full article Read this NCA: Fugitive who was tracked down to Spain jailed for nine years Home News Fugitive who was tracked down to Spain jailed for nine years Return to News 7 December 2018 A fugitive who was tracked down to Spain following an operation involving the National Crime Agency, Metropolitan Police and Spanish law enforcement has been jailed for nine years by a UK judge. Jamie Acourt, 42, of no fixed abode, was arrested by armed officers as he left a gym in Barcelona in May this year (below right). His arrest followed an international intelligence-led operation which saw the NCA working with the Met and Spanish partners to track him down. Acourt was wanted following an investigation by the Met’s Organised Crime Command into a network of drug traffickers transporting cannabis by road and supplying to dealers from their stronghold in Eltham, south-east London. In February 2016 detectives moved in, seizing 100 kilos of cannabis and £40,000 in cash duriong raids in Northumbria and south-east London. Five men were subsequently convicted and sentenced for their part in the conspiracy, in February 2017. However, Acourt had fled the UK before the arrests took place. He was tracked down to Barcelona and arrested under a European Arrest Warrant (EAW). At the time of his arrest he was living with another British fugitive, Michael Lloyd, 31, from east London. Lloyd, who was wanted by the NCA for conspiring to import class A drugs, would also later be arrested, returned to the UK and jailed for more than seven years. Acourt initially denied the charges against him, but changed his plea to guilty midway through his trial, at Kingston Crown Court, on 6 December. The following day he was sentenced to nine years in prison. The National Crime Agency’s Regional Head of International Operations, Steve Reynolds, said: “Jamie Acourt was tracked down to Barcelona following an intensive intelligence-led search operation involving the NCA, Metropolitan Police and our law enforcement partners in Spain. I’m delighted that today he has been brought to justice. “His conviction and sentencing sends out a message that we are relentless in our pursuit of wanted fugitives, we have the international reach to track you down, and no matter where you go you will never be able to stop looking over your shoulder.” Detective Chief Inspector Mark Bedford of the Met’s Organised Crime Command, said: "Today’s conviction is the culmination of several years’ of complex investigation by Met detectives. Diligent policing work has enabled the team to build a case which has disbanded a drugs network valued around £4 million. Their tenacity has ensured that six members of the drugs network have now faced justice. “The support provided to our officers by the NCA and the Spanish authorities was invaluable in locating Acourt and extraditing him to the UK and is a great demonstration of how we work with our international partners across international borders to fight crime.” Share this Page: View the full article Read this BBC Metrolink to use undercover staff to tackle bye-law breaches Now whilst I'm all for byelaws being looked into... Lord knows I do love a good byelaw... I also generally like the idea of local authorities both public and private stepping up and taking on more responsibility to ensure their areas of control are properly protected and rules are enforced BUT with all that said I can see this being recipe for disaster... It is hard enough for non-warranted uniformed officers to gain compliance from the public... Just what chance does a 'plain clothed' officer from a transport firm hope to achieve when they 'badge out' with no additional powers in law to detain outside of any person and no access to PPE? (Atleast I don't believe Sec 16 of the Railway Act applies on Trams, could be wrong of course, so no additional arrest power for fare evasion.) This to me strikes as a bad idea that will lead to complaints and possibly assaults on staff. Thought it'd be worth posting up for discussion. Read this BBC: Surge in gas and ram-raid ATM attacks 7 December 2018 Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionOne gang used oxy-acetylene canisters to cause an explosion Thieves are increasingly trying to smash or blast their way into UK cash machines - with the number of attacks on ATMs nearly doubling in four years. Attempts to steal cash have risen from 400 attacks in 2014 to 723 last year, according to a report by ATM operator Cardtronics. It said one in five incidents in Europe occurred in the UK. Thieves are generally unsuccessful, with 41% of cases resulting in cash being stolen. "For the first time, we have proof that the wider damage caused by these attacks is far greater than the direct impact to cash machines or the building they are in. ATM attacks are not victimless crimes," said Tim Halford, managing director of Cardtronics UK and Ireland. The report suggested that nearly half of all attacks could be considered as dangerous, in that heavy force was used. This could include ram-raids and gas explosions to blast out the ATM. These "dangerous" attempted thefts have risen from an estimated 129 in 2014 to 342 in 2017. Last year, a seven-man gang that blew up cash machines across the UK, stealing hundreds of thousands of pounds, were handed jail sentences ranging from 10 years to life imprisonment. Would-be thieves in Liverpool blew up a cash machine but were unable to take any money from it on Monday. Other dramatic cases included raiders using gas to blow up a cash machine outside a Matalan store in Darlington last year. Image copyright Google Image caption The cash machine had stood outside Matalan inside a kiosk Image caption The explosion was reportedly heard several miles away The report said industry data showed that in 2018 almost 70% of gas attacks on ATMs took place on petrol station forecourts, adding an extra level of potentially dangerous consequences. Community concern The report said that rural communities, where there are are already issues over access to cash, were being targeted. One in four attacks occurred in communities which had only one or no bank branch in the vicinity, it said. It could take more than four months for the ATM to reopen. Who do we trust after cash? The High Streets with 'too many' ATMs Cardtronics is the largest operator of non-bank cash machines in the UK, and receives a fee from banks each time one is used. It run brands such as Cardzone and Bank Machine which operate on forecourts, It is one of the various operators closing ATMs. Network co-ordinator Link has said more than 250 free-to-use cash machines are disappearing a month as operators shut unprofitable ones. There are more than 50,000 free machines in the UK - but the number is shrinking at a record rate as people use less cash. View the full article Read this Read More Police News