53 replies to this topic

#1 geordiepcso

geordiepcso

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:37 PM

is it against the law or not for private security officers to carry or use handcuffs?
Just  returned from Alton Towers Theme Park and was amased to see an security guard with handcuffs strapped to his belt walking around

any views ?

#2 ex-job-ex-pat

ex-job-ex-pat

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2976 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:05 PM

is it against the law or not for private security officers to carry or use handcuffs?

Just  returned from Alton Towers Theme Park and was amased to see an security guard with handcuffs strapped to his belt walking around

any views ?

I'm a bit behind with some laws, but I cannot think of any that he would be contravening if he could show "lawful authority or reasonable excuse" for carrying them.
Which, as a security man in potentially violent situations, he can.
I'm open to be corrected though.

Stan Still shows excellent accurate knowledge to - and I'm not saying that to suck up to mods - because I don't!Tongue

Shootist usually loves these lawful or unlawful carrying of batons, firearms, gas, etc. ...Brace yourself for some long posts.Wink

ex-job-ex-pat2008-02-28 08:50:16

#3 Penbwlch

Penbwlch

King of Penbwlch

• Moderators
  • 67924 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:08 PM

and I'm not saying that to suck up to mods - because I don't!Tongue

You should try it some time.Wink

I used to be conceited. Now I'm Perfect Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 M&MBM

M&MBM

Forum Member

• Moderators
  • 68280 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:12 PM

I thought we'd had a discussion on this a while back... along side a discussion on PCSOs carrying handcuffs.

Pen, you shocker.

M&MBM2008-02-24 23:13:10
MOP, Joker & reformed character. Honest. Posted ImageI moderate with purple prose

#5 Penbwlch

Penbwlch

King of Penbwlch

• Moderators
  • 67924 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:15 PM

Moi?

Nos da

I used to be conceited. Now I'm Perfect Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 M&MBM

M&MBM

Forum Member

• Moderators
  • 68280 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:17 PM

Mais oui. Vous.Stern%20Smile

Nos da.

MOP, Joker & reformed character. Honest. Posted ImageI moderate with purple prose

#7 trent

trent

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:26 PM

I wouldn't say it's against the law to carry handcuffs, however anyone actually using them might leave themselves open to assault allegations. They are a weapon of offence for the purposes of aggravated burglary, but not an offensive weapon per se. I had a brief look on some other sites and the most interesting one was from a rock festival site which said this

"The possession of handcuffs is not prohibited by law. However, use of handcuffs amounts to an assault and is unlawful unless it can be justified. Justification can only be achieved by establishing a legal right to use handcuffs, and good objective grounds for doing so. Use of force must be reasonable, necessary and proportionate.

It therefore strikes us that security firms who are using handcuffs are treading on very thin ice and that the use of handcuffs against members of the public would, in most circumstances, constitute assault.

This being the case our advice to anyone who finds themselves detained and handcuffed by security personnel is to report the matter to the police – more importantly we strongly advise them to take legal action – the use of handcuffs by security personnel would (in our opinion) in most circumstances be illegal."

That would appear to me to be quite good advice.

"See if you can detect me a nice packet of garibaldis"

DCI Gene Hunt

#8 exmetskipper

exmetskipper

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5038 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

hmmmmmmmm ............ good question , and i suggest that other places like Legoland , seem to have a private police force too ! They also carry handcuffs ...... no offence as mentioned per se , but lets not forget , that police officers are NOT authorised at law to carry such items also ( even though they are listed as appointments )..... it is to assist them in detaining persons suspected of an offence , ( reasons must be reasonable ........violent, potentially violent ,unknown risk ) and may be required to explain their use of such force before a court of law.  It is an assault by whomever puts cuffs on a detained person , but a security guard as an MOP can use reasonable force to effect an arrest ( as so for constables and therein lies the crux ...there is no difference between either parties effecting an arrest) ...... so, personally speaking , if that is their job on private prems ...... where's the problem with that as long as they use them in circs that  they can justify such use before a court ???     exmetskipper2008-02-27 21:18:03
"Anarchism is a game at which the Police can beat you."

George Bernard Shaw

"Slytherin" subversive

#9 rocket1

rocket1

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:06 PM

False Imprisonment springs to mind possibly???
Unit's standby, we have Police requesting urgent assistance Hotel Tango Section, units to assist MP over

#10 Tradinstan

Tradinstan

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:35 PM

I would have thought that any security personnel on private property, where there is no regular police presence, such as Alton Towers, would have the power to take any reasonable action to restrain any person suspected of committing an offence (there is a fair amount of theft and assault goes on there). A set of handcuffs would appear to be just the job to restrain such person, until handed over to the Police at the gate.
Me, however, handcuffing an errant greengrocer would, IMHO, not be approved of.

Wide awake and ready for anything!

#11 geordiepcso

geordiepcso

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:18 PM

Thank you for all your replies

#12 Graham

Graham

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14663 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:00 PM

The use of handcuffs by security guards & other members of the public has been discussed many times in this part of the forum.

As a security guard (a supervisor) I can tell you that cuffs may only be used by members of the public to restrain someone in certain limited circumstances. They may only be used to stop someone from harming other people, themselves or from damaging property, if physical restraint by security staff, or other MOP's, has been tried & failed. The only type of cuffs allowed for use by members of the public is the chain-linked type. Fixed linked cuffs are only for use by police & certain other statutory undertakers, as they are for controlling a resisting subject.

Incidentally, handcuffs are not the only restraints that may be used. Cable ties, provided they are of sufficient width to avoid injury may be used (indeed that is what they were invented for, by the Israelis) & rope may be used, with the proviso that they are only put on tight enough to restrict the subject's movement of his/her hands.

A member of the public using cuffs should be cogniscent of the damage they could do if put on incorrectly, & anyone using them is liable for prosecution, criminally & civilly if they get it wrong, so he/she should only use them if every other means of restraining someone has failed.

If in doubt whether you're justified in using them, or whether you can put them on successfully - don't use them, is what I've advised people who've asked me.

We all make mistakes. Even monkeys fall out of trees... but often only after they've tried scratching their butts with both hands.

#13 catprincess

catprincess

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

I think they can.. I am aware of door staff in my area who carry cuffs.. they have a special cuff licence!

The big boy did it and ran away

#14 exmetskipper

exmetskipper

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5038 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

CERTAIN airlines have kwik cuffs ( rigid ) issued for use of cabin staff who are trained in their use.   
"Anarchism is a game at which the Police can beat you."

George Bernard Shaw

"Slytherin" subversive

#15 Tradinstan

Tradinstan

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:18 PM

As a mop using cuffs I would not want to be arrested for using them - mind you, what me and my girlfriend get up to at the same time would probably get us on the front page of the news of the screws!Embarrassed
"TSO and barrister in pink fluffy handcuffs scandal".Shocked

Wide awake and ready for anything!

#16 Graham

Graham

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14663 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:55 PM

One last bit of advice. If you are going to use handcuffs, or any other type of restraint, you must have the means to release your prisoner with you (a key, scissors or knife - depending on what you've used), for their transfer into police custody.
We all make mistakes. Even monkeys fall out of trees... but often only after they've tried scratching their butts with both hands.

#17 Shootist

Shootist

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:32 PM

As a security guard (a supervisor) I can tell you that cuffs may only be used by members of the public to restrain someone in certain limited circumstances. They may only be used to stop someone from harming other people, themselves or from damaging property, if physical restraint by security staff, or other MOP's, has been tried & failed.

That is not correct. If 'other means' of restraint have been tried and have failed, then you could be getting your head kicked in. Conversely, if there is still a means of restraint in your repertoire, then you may not use handcuffs.

As a practical approach to self defence, and control and restraint, you are advocating a dangerous practice.

All you have to justify is that it was necessary to apply handcuffs. Bear in mind also that you first have to restrain someone in order to apply handcuffs.

The only type of cuffs allowed for use by members of the public is the chain-linked type. Fixed linked cuffs are only for use by police & certain other statutory undertakers, as they are for controlling a resisting subject.

By causing pain, which makes them an offensive weapon. That is the reason you can't carry quick cuffs in public. Ordinary handcuffs are just as much for controlling a resisting subject, but not though causing pain.

A member of the public using cuffs should be cogniscent of the damage they could do if put on incorrectly, & anyone using them is liable for prosecution, criminally & civilly if they get it wrong, so he/she should only use them if every other means of restraining someone has failed.

Like I said. By then it could be too late. The use of force to restrain requires you to choose an appropriate level of response, not to escalate through every level available until you win (or lose!)

This animal is dangerous. If attacked, it will defend itself.

-----

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

George Orwell

#18 Shootist

Shootist

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:33 PM

As a mop using cuffs I would not want to be arrested for using them - mind you, what me and my girlfriend get up to at the same time would probably get us on the front page of the news of the screws!Embarrassed

"TSO and barrister in pink fluffy handcuffs scandal".Shocked

I had to handcuff her to the bed your honour, it was the only way I could get some kip on the setee.

This animal is dangerous. If attacked, it will defend itself.

-----

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

George Orwell

#19 Marine Polizei

Marine Polizei

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:44 PM

rope may be used, with the proviso that they are only put on tight enough to restrict the subject's movement of his/her hands.

What else are you using the rope for if it is not to " restrict the subject's movement of his/her hands"?

Kind of defeats the object if the hands are NOT restricted doesn't it?
Marine Polizei2008-03-15 13:13:48
Es gibt keine Gerechtigkeit, es gibt nur das Gesetz.

#20 M&MBM

M&MBM

Forum Member

• Moderators
  • 68280 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

I think Graham means tight enough as opposed to too tight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users