cop in canada

transfer to canada

Hi all,

Im new to the site so may have messed up my postings! (i cant find it) apologies if its repeated. sorry moderator! hope this is in the right place now!

if anyone is interested in transferring to calgary in canada, i have some excellent contacts and can walk you through the whole thing. you wont lose your pension, you will be paid in recognition of your uk level of service and you dont need to worry about "points". This is a window of opportunity that will soon close. timeline for move is 6-9mths from now. contact me for more info. (also, no cost!) the government may even pay your resettlement costs.

Im an ex met officer who served almost 20 years. I wish we had done this sooner than a couple of years ago. Fantastic life here!!

Hi

I am new to this forum. I'm very interested in moving to Canada.

I am a serving met officer with 4 years service, would it be possible for you to put me through to one of your contacts.

Hello,

I have been making a lot of enquiries now with regards to moving to canada to be a Police Officer. I am 24 years old and have served 5 years now in Lincolnshire. I would really appreciate any information u can give me on making this move as most of the departements i have contacted state you must be a Canadian resident or landed immigrant.

Cheers Jared

Hiya,

Could you give me some advice and tips about transferring from the Uk to canada. I have just under 3 years service and with no dependents or mortgage I feel I am in a good position to consider the move.

I really am in the early stages of researchign this and just keen to know the facts and procedure as I cant seem to find any practical advice elsewhere.

Would also be keen on how the job compares to over here etc.

Many thanks

I did 17 years in the UK and have done two in Canada.

I am in Ottawa so my experiences are limited to there but I get the impression that most cities are close enough in attitudes etc, although crime rates vary a lot.

Policing here is great. Very little paperwork, excellent equipment and massive public support. I have never looked back.

My standard of living is amazing compared to what I had in the UK.

My house there would be between 500K and a million sterling and I paid about 165k 2 years ago!

I have a massive V8 4x4 and a V8 muscle car for summer fun.

If you like a good lifestyle, open roads, not much traffic, being able to park! and lots of open space you should enjoy it here.

Its very cold in the winter and missing family and friends is an issue but for me thats a small price to pay.

I would suggest a visit for some research.

Calgary are making it easy at the moment but a lot of forces in Ontario will take you too. Ottawa ,OPP, Toronto. Peel to name a few.

Good luck!

I am seriously considering a career in a force in Canada Calgary seems to come to mind any advise or contacts . My wife is in Nursing so we would both look at emigrating any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I am a serving police officer and l considering transfering to the Canadian Police. I would be grateful for any help or information. Mank thanks.

Like everyone else above i have started looking at transfering and would appreciate some help/advice/tips....Please help, there is So much info out there i am lost!!

Hi guys,

Check the other posts and topics in the Canada forums, I have posted LOADS of info in there that hasn't changed since posting it then. Feel free to send me a PM and I'll be happy to help. Canadian Copper is another great source of info.

I have been here 6 years now and love it ... BUT .... there are pitfalls you can avoid before coming here and risking it all and making the mistakes we did. Remember eveyones opinion is based on what THEY tolerate. Personally I cant stand the snow!! and the winters are a big downside, but one guy here from Ottawa loves it, so he will give a different view to me on that :)

I can tell you about cost of living etc ... it is much safer than the UK here, but you do make sacrifices for that safety. They say the grass is always greener on the other side. If we had the money to come back home we would have done a few years ago, but once you drop off the UK property ladder it's tough to get back on. Now after 6 years we have settled, although unless I am a millionaire I can't see me retiring here, it's too expensive and unpredictable. things are not regulated like in the UK, each town seems independant, able to operate how they see fit.

For Canada you MUST think long term, right now it may be ok for you but consider healthcare (very very poor, no matter what you hear! trust me it's bad and very expensive) you will hear the word 'benefits' mentioned, that's a form of healthcare coverage that some employers give, most emplyers avoid paying it by hiring people part time so they don't have to pay it, but they have the person doing full time hours. The police benefits is good but not as good as you may think, there are lots of restrictions .... e.g. a friend of mine tripped and fell broke his front tooth, the dentist bill was $2000 to fix it and his benefits didn't pay it as it wasn't covered.

Living expenses are high ..... retired people here still have to pay property taxes which are quite high, I pay $3000 a year for mine.

One other thing, don't compare it to pounds, I did that and there is NO comparrisson. Yes your home and car will be cheaper and you get more for your money than you do in England with them, but how many cars and houses do you buy? it's the everyday costs that you get hit with here.

So .... if you're not rich when you come, then it will be difficult to become rich, because your income will likely just support your outgoings. But having said that, you can enjoy the long warm summers and safety (depending where you go of course). It is worth it, I would just like to help people come with an open mind and consider everything, not just listen to one persons opinions and experiences. It is a big move and you want it to work out.

I came here as a skilled worker and did not use a solicitor, I did it myself.  I know there are PNP programs now, but I don't know much about them.

Bye for now and have a great day!

Hi I am a serving officer in Gwent Police with 8 years service. I am 43 and am contemplating a change. What advice do you have...just looking and do not know where too start..just fed up with the red tape  and pc brigade.

Hi I am a serving officer in Gwent Police with 8 years service. I am 43 and am contemplating a change. What advice do you have...just looking and do not know where too start..just fed up with the red tape  and pc brigade.

PM me, I might be able to help with some info.

Hi All,

I have been thinking of moving to Canada for a while now.  I am a serving Special Constable with 2.5 years under my belt.  Can this be used in order to aid me gain a place within the Canadian police

Hi Stiq2k16,

I think it would be taken into consideration when you apply for any police service, but you have to remember in Canada they are called 'Auxiliary' and they have no police powers at all. They literally are just a physical presence.

You would have to make it clear that the Special Constable is similar to a Part-Time Police Officer. Albeit the training is significantly less than a regular colleague, you do have powers of arrest and I knew a few Specials who worked harder than some of the regular colleagues and notched up some signifcant arrests. (no offence guys!) But if you have been one of those Specials you will need to get that across in your CV, or they will assume it the same as Canadian Auxiliary which won't do you any good at all.

Hi,

I have read your post regarding recruitment in Calgary, I am looking for a transfer to OTTAWA. I have over 7 years service with the Cumbria Police Force and I am hoping to move to Canada within the next two years. I am planning a three week stay this time next year with my family, so my family can see for themselves what a great country Canada is before they are happy with the move.

I am very knew to this and have no family in Canada and would be happy with any tips you can offer me, in applying and transferring to a Canadian Police force, also adapting to the Canadian life and things I need to know before making this big step.

Thank you for your time in advance

Kev Latham

Hi,

I'm currently a detective constable in Leicester Police with 5 years service and am considering Canada. I have two boys aged 9 and 6 and want them to get the most out of their youth. My husband is also keen to move. as fed up of the wet british summers!!

What I would like to know is there an opportunity of continuing as a DC in Canada, or are they just recruiting uniform officers???

I have many questions and would love some advice.

Thanks,

Mary Gracey

There are 21 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE