Bullet76

SPEED limits Motorway

Can anybody tell me if there is a legal minimum speed that you cant drive on the motorway, A friend tells me he only drives at 50 mph because he feels he is a safer driver for this. I have argued that he infact could be causing more of a danger and hazzard to other users and infact could be commiting an offence in doing so.

Could someone please put me out of his missery because he wont accept i might well be right. If im wrong then fine.

Bullet,

Sorry  He's Right, Your wrong.

See Highway Code Rules 234 / 235 re this,  There is only the Mention of a Maximum and not a minimum.

The speed your friend drives at is actually what is generally considered to be a suitable Patrol speed on the Motorway, as everyone has to pass you and you can give them the once over, and the HGV's can also pass without it taking 3 miles for the overtake.

Thankyou for clearing this up for me, as expected the gloating has started that i was wrong, but im pleased i have learnt something new!

Sorry to hear They are Gloating, just ask them ' Are they a fully paid up member of MLOC ?"

Middle Lane Owners Club ??

Not wanting to drag this issue out but wouldnt there be a case for dangerous or driving with out due care and attention if one was driving to slowly, ( I admit the original question was about 50 mph ) but just for my curiosity. Also now going away from motorways i have stopped cars that have been driving uneccesarily below the speed limit and advised them accordingly, was i wrong to do so?

I still can't bend my head around the people that stick to 40mph in a national speed limit and then upon entering a 30mph continue at 40mph.

It's not usually over-cautiousness, its probably a combination of laziness and not having confidence in driving above a certain speed!

Bullet76, in response to your question Careless and Inconsiderate can just be driving a mechanically propelled vehicle without reasonable consideration for other persons usin the road or place as opposed to the standard driving without due care and attention.
So technically you were not wrong to do so, but it would be for the magistrates to decide whether their standard of driving was below what was reasonably expected of a normal driver.

You might get it to court, but that take action? Likelihood is no, but I haven't put it before a magistrate so honestly I don't know how far it would go?
Anyone else have any ideas?

I think you would. I have stopped a car for doing 30mph in a National speed limit. Too slow could be construed as driving without due consideration for other road users. I would also be asking why they are driving that slow.

This particular bloke did'nt know what the limit was and as i was behind him he stayed at 30mph.

I confess that I thought there was a minimum speed of 30mph on the motorway, but I haven't looked at a highway code for erm, 25 years Embarrassed

I confess that I thought there was a minimum speed of 30mph on the motorway' date=' but I haven't looked at a highway code for erm, 25 years Embarrassed[/quote']

Time to look at it again, then.

The Highway Code

Go to Signs and Markings/Signs Giving Orders and scroll down to near the bottom. You will see some blue signs with white writing. There is a round one with the number 30 on it and marked "Minimum Speed". This is the sign (with the correct speed, of course) that you will see when there is a minimum speed limit.

Yes, i remember that sign, though I haven't seen one for years. I just thought it was automatically min 30 on the motorway.

Grumble, moan, I'll have a look,

Hmn, wonder where I got the min 30 idea from then. (Not that I'd dream of travelling at that speed unless the road conditions dictated it.) Perhaps it was something to do with only vehicles capable of 30 being allowed on the motorway. I shall fret over this now, you'll see.

Re This Minimum of 30,

Have never been stuck behind a wide slow moving load  ?

We Move these regually in my area and sometimes we are glad if the thing makes 25 MPH not bad  considering it may be weighing in excess of 400 Tonnes all up and 200 feet long.  I Love em, Overtime all day and buggering up everyone who can't read the advance notice signs along the route!!!!!

When I go for a walk, I am the wide, slow moving load.

I seriously don't know where I got that 30mph idea from.

There is no mention in legislation of a general minium speed limit on motorways. 

Class 1 vehicles, which are one of the classes of vehicle which are allowed to use the motorways must be capable of acheiving at least 25 mph.  This does not make 25 mph the miniumum speed limit however.

Slow moving farm vehicles and other vehicles holding up traffic by driving on normal roads at speeds that can be shown to be unreasonable can be prosecuted for 'Driving without reasonable consideration for other road users'.  Clearly, attempting to prosecute slow motorway driving using this legislation would require an objective assessment of 'reasonable'.  Slow inappropriate motorway driving could also be 'Dangerous driving' or 'Driving without due care and attention' but other objective assessments would need to be made.   

I drive fairly slow on motorways because I have an old car with a lot of miles on the engine and am constantly getting tailgated by very fast saloons and sports cars that are driving over the speed limit but instead of overtaking by going into the faster lanes on the right they flash me. It just seems a power or ego trip to try and prove you can drive faster & nothing to do with the law or safety. Leave slower drivers alone they are doing nothing wrong . It's the power drivers that are breaking the law by tailgating and flashing that are inconsiderate and driving without due care and attention