Robin

Pc wanting to emigrate

Hello all,

I'm a Met (W)pc and am researching into immigrating to Vancouver Island, BC, Canada, where I have lived and holiday'd before many times and have family.

I have an OH, and two kids aged 14 & 8 and want to show them that there is another kind of living to the lifestyle that we have in suburban North Surrey before they have grown up and finished school, and before my teenage son committs some kind of offence by hanging around with the 'wrong crowd'. I know this could happen elsewhere but it gets him away from the influences here that I don't like.

I have 22 years of pensionable service but joined in 1981. I've worked part time and had a career break which explains the difference if you do your sums.

I am a member of http://britishexpats.com/forum/ and have been in touch with an ex pc on that forum. He has said that we are able to use our police training, 2 year probation and any courses to qualify us for education points on the skilled workers permanent residence application form as a 2 year trade certificate/apprenticeship. These extra points are vital to my eligibility as a skilled worker because I do not have any other educational qualifications.

An immigration consultant has also said that this may be possible.

I've joined here to see if anyone out there on this forum has immigrated to Canada successfully by evidencing our policing skills this way to gain these points and if so, how was it for you?

so Are there any expat expcs out there who have done this?????

Look forward to hear from you

Robin Big%20smile

Welcome to the forum. You should take a look at the World Police section of the forum. Check out the Canadian police section. I think you'll be able to get a lot of information there.

Hi Robin,

I tried that way when I first wanted to emigrate and althoughwhat you say sounds right I was told it wouldnt work so .... I went through the University of Portsmouth and did the Higher Education Certificate in Policing and Police Studies. It was just 6 months and cost me 250. I had the books at home and you do the course online, the condition of entry is that you have to have completed your probation period. At the end of 6 months you do an exam, it was as easy as that. I took that as a trade certiicate for 3 years due to the fact you had to do probation and the study prior to passing it.

Another option for you is to bypass the points system and gain employment first. There are lots of police services doing that now and hiring direct. It depends where you want to go but is something worth considering.

Let me know if I can help any more and good luck!

As Canada said - trying for the Provincial Nomination Process might be a lot quicker for you if you can secure employment here. There are at least two services that I know of for sure assisting emigration that way (Calgary and Edmonton).

Vancouver Island is all RCMP except for Victoria Police, and I don't know if they are recruiting from the UK.

PM me if you have any interest in Calgary - I know it seems a long ways from Vancouver Island, but it isn't that bad...

We had another English PC riding along with us looking to emigrate yesterday...

Thanks Canada, I had also been advised by immigration lawyers that I wouldn't qualify, even at the 'Emigrate' show, but this week I discovered that there are a few police officers that have been successful without doing any extra courses, just based on their 2 year probation.

I've joined this forum to see what others have done to qualify, so to hear of this course is really useful, not only to me but to others in the same  predicament, (as in joined the job at 18 and have no other educational qualifications).

I really don't want to join another police service, we want to go to Canada to join family there on Vancouver Island, where the kind of lifestye is so different to how we live in Surrey, where my son will be spending his free time much more constructively than he would be by hanging around with mates on the streets here.

Life would revolve around me at training school in Alberta and shiftwork if we went there. In Black Creek we can buy a plot of land of at least 2 acres with a decent house on it with the proceeds of the sale of our house here, and still have change. Alberta house prices would mean another mortgage - no thanks.

Thanks for sharing your experience of qualifying for the skilled worker route into Canada.Star

Robin

Thanks Canada copper, I think we were both writing at the same time there but I had a phone call in the middle.

I've probably answered your post with my response to Canada.

I have been researching  PNP for BC by finding my OH a way to get a job as a 'gas fitter'. What I have been finding is that employers want to see a face and hear of Canadian experience before employing within a trade, and anyway he would need to get his skills recognised by doing a course out there first.

Thanks for your response. This thread may help any others researching ways to emigrate to Canada. Smile

....And for any that are, I recommend joining http://britishexpats.com/

Robin

Robin - Good call for wanting to go to Vancouver Island. It is an extraordinary place - I just bought a small acreage in the Gulf Islands between Vancouver Island and the Mainland that I hope to use for retirement. Right now my parents get to use it in theirs!

If you could stomach a 'stopover' in Alberta for immigration purposes, the entire province is aching badly for skilled trades, and depending on the conditions of the PNP contract, might be an option.

Best of luck

Hi Canadian Copper,

I wonder which Island? my brother is a sailing instructor so has stop-overs in most islands. We've had a few cruises amongst them too.

Did you sponsor your parents or do they just have long visits?

If we go sooner rather than later than my mother would be on her own here and we have been discussing ways of getting her over too. The wait for parental sponsoring is 5-8 years! At her age of 76 that seems to be about her lifetime! As things are she can visit for 6 months at a time.

Robin

Hi Robin,

Just for your info, we sponsored my mother in, and .... when I asked in London for my skilled worked application they said as long as the application was made outside Canada i.e. apply in the UK, she could then move with us to Canada and give London that as her forwarding address. It still took 3 years, but at least during that time she was enjoying life here not stuck on her own in the UK. You just have to renew the visitor permit, the intial one on passport is 6 months, but you apply for a new one about 6 weeks before the 6 month period is up. As she would be going through the immigration process they would give 1 year visitor visas from that point on.

Hi Canada,

Now that is interesting to know. My brother, who is the canadian citizen is in the process of filling in the forms to apply to sponsor her, and just today we were wondering jokingly whether she would live long enough to be allowed to live with us there!

I will let him know that once he applies, then she can go out on a 6 mth visitors and get it extended on the basis of her application for sponsored PR. What did your mother do for edical insurance in the interim?

Hi Canadian Copper' date='

I wonder which Island? my brother is a sailing instructor so has stop-overs in most islands. We've had a few cruises amongst them too.

Did you sponsor your parents or do they just have long visits?

If we go sooner rather than later than my mother would be on her own here and we have been discussing ways of getting her over too. The wait for parental sponsoring is 5-8 years! At her age of 76 that seems to be about her lifetime! As things are she can visit for 6 months at a time.

Robin 
[/quote']

I am afraid I cannot help too much with the immigration/sponsorship thing - I was born here and my parents got their citizenship before I was born.

My place is on Gabriola Island -just off Nanaimo, so no doubt your brother has been to Silva Bay on many occasions - perhaps you as well if you have sailed with him. It is a very popular stopover for sailing cruises in the summer - there is a nice restaurant and pub overlooking the marina.

I have a beautiful view lot on the island, looking East out to the Sunshine Coast mountains and Vancouver. I would love to spend more time there, but at least it is easy to get to, despite being about 1100km away. Just a 1 hour flight to Vancouver, then a 20 minute seaplane jaunt to the island right from Vancouver International.

One of my police classmates is living out near there now having jumped ship to the RCMP. It is kind of tempting at times, but I am still loving urban policing among other reasons.

Hi Robin, when we first came over we paid for 12 months coverage based on the residency fact but .... 'technically' you should be able to buy visitors insurance as she would be visiting right? We just didnt figure that out at the time and once we were here it was too late :)

Anyway, thankfully there werent too many occassions when we needed medical assistance and it turned out cheaper than if we had paid insurance. A doctors visit will vary ... usualy $35 to $50 per visit for a non resident but if you are a resident and have a family doctor here its $18 for a visit. Medication is expensive for everyone and only those with 'benefits' or 'insurance' will get a percentage paid for them regardless of residency.

Within our first 3 weeks of arriving I got sick with a chest infection as the weatehr was so cold. I got antibiotics that cost me $20 and cleared it up in no time.  One thing though you cant buy medical insurance here unless you have provincial coverage so ... its one of those things .... I believe the likes of Sainsburys will provide cover for 2 years, now whether you would take a trip back to the UK to renew it or not I dont know, but you would hope the application would be complete by then! ours would have been quicker but we hit a snag and got taken 'out of the loop', it wasnt anything bad but once youre out of the loop the deadlines are way way extended.

Let me know if I can help any more and good luck :) just out of curiosity would there be any family left in England once you came out?

Hi again Canada,

No my father died last June after a long deterioration, during which mum was a full carer for him. He was bedridden for 4 years so she wasn't even able to visit family in Canada.

She cannot afford to live nearer to us in Surrey, so is still near Weston-Super-Mare, but says that the costs of just living in her modest ex-council house on a council estate, are too expensive for her to maintain long term living solely on her state pension.

Her sister is older than her at 80 years, and lives in Bristol, about 40 miles away, but apart from that, no all of us kids will be in Canada on Vancouver Island, supposing that I am successful with my application.

One of my brothers has a small cabin on his land that he currently rents out, but that would be her home if she could move there, then as she gets older she has us around to help her with the life that she has left in store. Sounds calculated but that's how life is - we get old, then eventually die, better to be looked after by those that love and care, then be stuck in a nursing home, with family thousands of miles away. We may then be able to plead undue hardship/compassionate grounds I guess.

I have been advised that her application would take 6-8 years from the time of submitting the sponsorship application which would/could mean that she would find travelling on her own much harder, certainly harder to think about organising the sale and transport of belongings.

She told me today that getting medical insurance over the age of 75 would not be possible from the company that she used last year so I will be researching that for her on the net. I'll try Sainsbury's based on what you've said so thanks alot for your input. Thank goodness for the medium of the internet to share information.

I appreciate this,

Robin

There are 9 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE