ChickenSoup

Zlob Trojan

Big%20smileFirst Post for 2007!Tongue

I have done the following...so far to try to get rid of it:

1)Gone into Safe mode and logged on as the administrator

2) Switched off System Restore

3) Run Spyhunter and Spybot...which identified the trojan and then I deleted it

However, when I go back into normal mode I do not have any access to my control panel. This message comes up:

C:Windows/system32\rundill32.e...
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

In addition, I cannot get onto the internet in normal mode. In safe mode, as the administrator I am fine (can use the control panel and internet explorer).

My laptop...which I am using at the moment.... was also infected with the same trojan. However.....access to the control panel and internet explorer in normal mode was not affected. I was therfore able to do steps 1-3...and then switch system restore back on. I have re-run spybot and Spyhunter and ....no more trojans or other nasties seem to be on the laptop.

I just have this horrid feeling that in the case of my desktop....more horrid stuff has happened!!!!. When I first noticed a problem a few days ago I thought it was the new version of mcafee I had just installed....as it can slow down your computer. So I uninstalled bits (including virus protection) and did a systems restore....and thats when I started having trouble with gaining acess to my control panelConfused 

If you have any advice...please let me know. I am a technological virgin (he he he...Big%20smile) so any advice needs to be clear and in steps ...so I can understand. Ta!

Oh yeah....Windows Defender and Windows Malicious Spywear Tool did not detect the trojan on my laptop. Neither did Mcafee...(I am actually unsure whether I should keep it?) . The only two things that detected it on my laptop...was Spybot search and Destroy and SpyHunter.

On my desktop...in normal mode...I can't access Spyhunter, Spybot search and destrpy either. Its only when I am in safe mode (logged on as the administrator that I can scan my desktop). If I click on the icons for these malware removers in normal mode...for my desktop...I get that message again...saying I don't have acess permissionOuch

ChickenSoup2007-01-01 13:56:42

This sounds a very difficult one. Re the desktop, it may be that 1) the trojan is still there and hiding (you may not have fully removed it), 2) there is another virus, 3) you may have damaged the registry.

First, some information. 1) Spybot and SpyHunter are designed as anti-spyware programs. Although they may find the odd virus, that is not their main purpose. 2) Mcafee has not got the best of reputations (neither has Symantec). Two very popular anti-virus programs are AVG (which I use) and Avast. AVG has a free version and I believe that Avast also does.

I would recommend downloading one of the decent anti-virus programs and getting rid of Mcafee. Then see if the anti-virus program finds anything.

If your computer is clear of both viruses and spyware, you could then try cleaning the registry. Download RegSeeker (freeware) and run "clean the registry".

If this does not work, it looks as if your registry has been corrupted and you may have to consider re-installing Windows.

Penbwlch2007-01-01 14:06:56

Hi Pen,

Thanks for the info. ....Big%20smile. I still had the Zlob downloader part on my computer. I have got rid of it now. I have returned Mcafee and got AVG Anti Spywear and Anti-virus protection instead. I have just set up a new account and transfered my files over from my corrupted user account. I have got the Sunbelt Kerio firewall too. I returned Spy hunter as apparently it has a unreliable reputation. They should invent something to smack my hands when I get a bit frisky ......as none of this would have happened if I wasn't looking at naughty sites....Embarrassed. ....he he he.

Hi CS, I'm please you have your computer sorted out now.

Re your other problem, you could always ask a friend to install some parental control software.Wink

Not come across that problem before, try the steps Pen has mentioned, but it does sound like the registry is damaged. Unless you know some super tech person that knows regedit in and out then probably your only other easy option is to re-build the computer using the disk provided with it when brought (back-up all your files onto an external drive before!!!)- there may well be another way/s but re-build seems to work for me when I screw up my registry.Wacko

After thought.....I usually read erotic fiction leaves more to the imagination lol. Just got a bit too curious....as you can hear all the moaning etc (which turned me on) but you can't see anything until you click on the button asking you to download extra bits for Windows Media Player. Going to stick to racy litrature in future.....Big%20smile

ChickenSoup2007-01-08 14:37:50

I know this really goes without saying and is most unhelpful but I'm going to say it anyway.Wink

There's nothing like the real thing.Smile

I know this really goes without saying and is most unhelpful but I'm going to say it anyway.Wink

Surreal - we've gone from Trojan Horse viruses, via internet sex, to Coca Cola. Tongue

With the right person...yeah I'd agreeSmile

ChickenSoup2007-01-10 21:42:52

I too would go for avast or you could try this link to your specific  problem http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2005-042316-2917-99&tabid=3 I dont know your operating system but remember to turn off the System Restore facility so its not saving anything.

Failing that let me know. Trojan Horses an certain Virii work on common signatures, that is AntiVirus (AV) sometimes only scan for that common signature, most are using different scanning techniques now but you have to remember you can tinker with a Trojan Horse to make it more difficult or impossible to remove. Hope that helps