Toblerone

GMP V MET (I am a currently serving officer)

I am in the process now of becoming a DC in the Metropolitan Police Service, and due to personal reasons I am being drawn to move up north to Manchester for at least two years, but it could well end up permenant. I am moving with an open mind though don’t get me wrong! 

I never before considered leaving the Met, as we know the opportunity to get stuck into some serious and exciting stuff here is abundant and being an officer in the Met very much is what you make it. 

I know with regards to all the civilian side of life, I’d be just as happy in Manchester as I am living in London etc. What I am concerned about is my work life. 

What’s it like being a DC in GMP (as opposed to in the Met if anyone here has experience of both?)? Is there an abundance of opportunity like in London? Is there organised crime in GMP etc.? What about gangs and gang issues? Dealing county lines?

As silly as it sounds, will being a “Southerner” hold me back in GMP? I know their recruitment have been very friendly to me but then, most forces in England and Whales are suffering a shortage of detectives.

I’m just very concerned that I’ll hate being in GMP as opposed to being a CID officer in London where exciting things happen very often and I am very scared of deeply regretting moving. 

If anyone has any experience of the CID in Greater Manchester Police, the good and bad points etc. I’d greatly appreciate some advice, either here or in a DM if more appropriate. 

Many thanks and kind regards,

Toblerone. 

I am in the process now of becoming a DC in the Metropolitan Police Service, and due to personal reasons I am being drawn to move up north to Manchester for at least two years, but it could well end up permenant. I am moving with an open mind though don’t get me wrong! 
I never before considered leaving the Met, as we know the opportunity to get stuck into some serious and exciting stuff here is abundant and being an officer in the Met very much is what you make it. 
I know with regards to all the civilian side of life, I’d be just as happy in Manchester as I am living in London etc. What I am concerned about is my work life. 
What’s it like being a DC in GMP (as opposed to in the Met if anyone here has experience of both?)? Is there an abundance of opportunity like in London? Is there organised crime in GMP etc.? What about gangs and gang issues? Dealing county lines?
 As silly as it sounds, will being a “Southerner” hold me back in GMP? I know their recruitment have been very friendly to me but then, most forces in England and Whales are suffering a shortage of detectives.
I’m just very concerned that I’ll hate being in GMP as opposed to being a CID officer in London where exciting things happen very often and I am very scared of deeply regretting moving. 
If anyone has any experience of the CID in Greater Manchester Police, the good and bad points etc. I’d greatly appreciate some advice, either here or in a DM if more appropriate. 
Many thanks and kind regards,
Toblerone. 
I'm in Cheshire , so whilst I don't know GMP too well, I know there are loads of OCGs, plus plenty of Cross border work that goes on virtually every night.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

You do not have to worry as there certainly is organised crime in the GMP area. I have not worked in the Metropolitan area but have attended the Met CID training. I will be quite honest I could not wait to get out of the smoke. We also found that we had a greater spectrum of work and in many cases a bigger work load. I am not sure whether you would transfer immediately into CID as you may have to transfer into uniform to prove yourself. You will find that officers, like elsewhere will be supportive but, do not be offended if you get referred to as "That Southern Jessie" It is all banter.

Serving in GMP is a large spectrum of Policing between City Centre, Town centre and rural Policing. Area's of Wigan, Rochdale, Oldham, Tameside, Stockport, Trafford all have their own individualities. 

I do not know if you are married with family, or single. If you are married then your family would have to be fully supportive and research where you want to live as a base.

What ever you decide, good luck to you, you Sothern Jessie.:D

Sorry to ask silly questions, but when you say you had a greater spectrum of work and a bigger case load, do you mean a greater spectrum in the Met or a greater spectrum in GMP? 

“Southern Jessie” ahahaha :clap:

Thanks. 

The Met lads in the Met were amazed at the amount and varied work that we did. I think that all we did was deal with the odd shoplifter and th occasional common assault.

As an outside observer and a Mancunian, I would suggest that there are parts of Manchester and Salford, particularly, that are as rough and ready as any part of the Met. Having served in Paddington and Kilburn (albeit many years ago), they are certainly no different - very diverse populations and related crime - to inner city and peri-urban areas in Manchester in terms of diversity, general attitudes of population etc. Gun and knife crime is very prevalent and drugs abound and some of the worse cases of sexual grooming appear to have happened in Rochdale and surrounding areas. In Salford, there is a core of scallywags who think themselves "gangsters" and even a few middle-aged dickheads who think they are "Mister Big" - they are neither smart nor agile enough to be ahead in their game. Sadly (and Zulu' will hopefully forgive my comment) long gone are the days when if you were a scallywag in Manchester or Salford, you might meet a real "Mister Big" a 6 foot copper who would give you a pasting if you stepped out of line. The old ways were often the best :tongue_cheek:

As far as Manchester is concerned as a city - it is vibrant, the people are down-to-earth and generally friendly (even to Southern Jessies) and there is so much close at hand - great coastlines - west and east, amazing countryside, and Londoners can even get to the city in about 2 hours by train. If you're a sports fan, there's a lot of football and rugby around and cricket in the summer. I live 6,000 miles away but have to come home once a year to get my fill of Manchester - it's never enough but keeps me going.

I hope you have a successful career whatever route you decide.

Cheers

(and Happy New Year to everyone on the Forum)

• Like 1