Good evening, 

I have recently registered my interest to join my local force and I’m to attend an engagement event on the 19th of October, I’m incredibly excited as being a police officer was my childhood dream. 

I believe I carry all the necessary skills and qualities of a police officer. My current job requires decision making, effective communication and empathy etc. 

My only real concern is my height, I’m 175cm or 5’9. I know the restriction used to be 5’8 until the 90s, but still I’m anxious at how well I’ll be able to do the job. I’ve recently began focusing on fitness to improve my upper body strength and stamina. I currently weigh 154 pounds, so I’m well aware I’m not the biggest. 

Is this going to put me at a disadvantage? 

Maybe im being too self-critical, but I would just like to hear what officers think and from officers of a similar build, and how they cope with the job. 

If it helps, I'm only 5'08". I joined when there was a height restriction! Most of my shift were old school and all were above 6 foot.

I've managed quite well for my near 27 years service so don't worry at all. Just set yourself up for a lot of "Little Man Syndrome" quips.

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys, it wouldn’t stop me applying regardless! Just needed to hear what people thought. My main worry was public confidence and my ability to do the job, thank you! 

When I joined, over 50 years ago, the height limit for most police forces in the UK was around 5'10'' with 2 or 3 requiring candidates to be 6'0''.  It was necessary in those days for police officers to be large persons as we lacked the excellent equipment which today's officers are issued with to defend themselves or summon assistance quickly and frequently had to depend on our physical prowess to carry out certain aspects of policing.

However, things have moved on and given the kit which today's officers are issued, physical prowess and appearance are not as necessary as they were at one time. I see many officers on the streets today who are les than your 5'8''.  Good luck.'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for this! I’m 5’9 so only an inch over what was the minimum not too long ago. Even if I was shorter, I’d definitely still apply as it’s my dream job! I must admit, I’m anxious but excited. 

Tutored females 5 feet one and 2 with size 2 feet and this was in 1999-2001.The equality laws were in place by then but mother nature decreed most blokes were bigger than most women. You have nothing to worry about physically.nut this site can only reassure you.You will only be happy when the tick in the box is there from recruitment and we can say to you we told you so!!! good luck.

• Thanks 1

On 13/10/2017 at 16:04, hiramabif said:

Tutored females 5 feet one and 2 with size 2 feet and this was in 1999-2001.The equality laws were in place by then but mother nature decreed most blokes were bigger than most women. You have nothing to worry about physically.nut this site can only reassure you.You will only be happy when the tick in the box is there from recruitment and we can say to you we told you so!!! good luck.

Here’s hoping eh? Thank you for this!