Sign in to follow this  
Reader12

Serious GBH in home - Job for Detective Inspector's?

Hi. I am proofreading a novel and have a few questions. 

The author has stated that 2 Detective Inspectors liase with the family in the hospital after serious GBH and briefly question the victim's girlfriend in one scene. 

Would two Detective Inspectors investigate this? Or would it be one detective alone? Or some other rank of officer or a mixture? Would they be wearing plain clothes?

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure I get this right :) 

Any help is appreciated!

Nowadays you'd be lucky to get one overworked DC to cover a GBH let alone 2 DIs.  Sergeants and Inspectors tend to have a management role in investigations and in their departments as opposed to being hands dealing with suspects and witnesses.  

I'm have never known one Det. Insp. attend hospital for a GBH case let alone two. If the case was serious enough then they might, might get a D.Sgt, and D/C.  It is usually the lower ranks that do all the donkey work, usually D.C's but occasionally a D.S.

D.I.'s are usually in the office to supervise over seeing cases and admin.

Edited by Zulu 22

Dealt with many GBH (section 20 or section 18) on my own as a uniform beat PC.Where I policed they were 10 a penny.Nor were they rocket science.So long as the court file was right you never heard from a CID supervisor other than closing comments that they had overseen it on the closing comments screen.This isnt disrespecting CID who would have been involved if the case had been messed up.

21 hours ago, archermav said:

CID dealing with a wounding, it's like something off the telly. :unsure:

Yes, ours should have done but they were too busy.:thumbdown:

Ok, thanks for all your replies. You have been very helpful. Will report back to the author with this, sounds like he will have to rework things a bit!

Thanks again :)

2 hours ago, Reader12 said:

Ok, thanks for all your replies. You have been very helpful. Will report back to the author with this, sounds like he will have to rework things a bit!

Thanks again :)

it really depends what he is looking for.  If he is looking for a Midsummer Murders or Morse style murder mystery then it would be spot on but if he is trying to write a realistic police procedural then he is miles away from anything realistic.

• Like 1