Radu

Change of Career

1. Hi.

Im thinking to change my career from Staff Nurse to PC.

Why? I always dreamed to be one.The only problem is that I'm not sure about the future as a PC.

For this reason,I have 3 questions if you can be kind to help.

1. If accepted and passed,is there a permanent job offer??or do you need to look for jobs?
  2. If you get the job,is that in your area where you live?
  3. Is this  a guaranteed job? I dont want the fear of being send home due to staff cutts

Hi @Radu

It might help to mention where you might apply for - e.g. which police forces are near you (if you don't mind sharing that!)

Yes, if you pass all the recruitment stages and vetting, medical etc, you'll be offered a particular job in a particular area. 

Some forces start officers off in Response, others neighborhood, it may vary. 

You may get to specify your preferences for areas you want to work in, but no guarantees you'll get what you want - it depends on where they are short on officers.

A lot of people advise don't work on the area you live (for safety reasons) although the chances of someone recognising you without your uniform on are probably low. 

As for the future, difficult to tell. Compulsory redundancy isn't a concept (yet) as you would not be an employee you would be a crown servant. 

However there has been talk of bringing in such options.

But realistically, with officers retiring and officers being forced out after 30 years service in some areas, plus quite a few officers choosing to leave midway through service, hopefully you'll be ok!

• Like 1

Hi Techie1

Thank you for your response.Im from Suffolk , Kessingland. Im applying as I'm keen to become a CID or Detective and I noticed that they recruit from September.Now I haven't spoken with them regarding the roles available in this area,  but like I mentioned, I'm afraid leaving a secure job for something I don't know what to expect for my future

Can I ask? How long will this process take?the recruitment stages and vetting, medical etc, and are you paid straight after?I'm asking as I have a family and mortgage to pay

And what about the preparation for the test centre,I've noticed there are  a lot of books to learn from,do you know any in particular?

On the Suffolk site I noticed ,,Suffolk have signed up to the College of Policing program to accept applications for Direct Entry into the police at inspector level. As 'I'm new in this field,is this something worth applying? or better go for the normal route?

If the Recruitment lines are opening again in September, how long do I have if accepted to get ready for the tests?Sorry but I have so many questions to clarify before I will make the step.As we'll I noticed that,  you can apply as  well as  part time

Cheers 

Some forces offer direct entry to become a DC but most current PCs are very cynical about that route.  Most forces still expect new recruits to work on a response shift, neighbourhood or local investigation unit for at least two years whilst they build experience before applying to be a DC, but some forces such as the Met are struggling to fill DC roles so their attitude is different.

Recruitment takes as long as it takes and can vary tremendously.  My experience was good with the whole process from attending a recruitment night to being attested taking 12 months but I trained with people who had taken 2 years for the same process.  Tightened budgets have also contributed to a start/stop long winded process nowadays.  There were loads of steps for my recruitment from attending an open evening, taking a simple test, passing the paper sift (application form),  medical, eyesight test, fitness test, assessment centre, vetting, and a  final interview.  You only get paid as a PC once you start work and also watch out for some forces which pay probationers different rates depending on whether they have previous police experience or not, although everyone moves to the same pay point after 6 months. 

An assessment centre course would be a good idea as the police assessment centre is nothing like any other assessment centre I have had experience of.

Direct entry to Inspector is another very diversive  topic just like direct entry DCs and again it is not popular among the rank and file.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your response. I will apply in September once the lines are open.

Do you have anu recommendations regardint the aplication,tests,fitnes exam? do you know any study books that worth buying ?

One more thing,they mention that you need to have a diploma, or Nvq level 3,now as a Staff Nurse I already have the requirements or is anything I need to wory about?

Cheers

Most people with a basic level of fitness will cope with the fitness test but you can download a bleep test from the www if you want to practice.  I'm not sure what I can suggest to help with the push/pull but again the target for that isn't high and unless your technique fails you it is easy to pass.

Some forces run free 1/2 assessment centre course so its worth asking the force you are applying for or failing that google police assessment centre courses.

At the moment you don't need any specific level of qualifications to join the police although that is going to change in the near future.

• Thanks 1

By the way.

Regarding Vetting,is there any problems if you have a credit card  but is not paid off in total,or overdrafts, or if you have loans or mortgage?

Cheers

Finances are looked at to see if officers would be open to corruption but small or manageable levels of debt are OK.

• Thanks 1

Thank you skydiver.My lons are manageable, but are there.As far as I read on the site,people are declined without  reasons.Is anywhere  where I can find out for sure about my finances before applying? or who to call? 

Cheers

I worked with recruits 05-08 and so long as you had no ccjs or being declared bankrupt you should be OK.Missing a few credit card / mortgage payments over the years didn't seem to matter.One lad had 70K gambling debts but he had to go when we found out.As long as your finances or OK you should be ok. Go to clearscore for a free monthly credit check.The main problem was probationers thinking they had won the lottery by being accepted as a cop and then getting into megadebt once in, cars,houses,holidays of a lifetime every year etc and then deciding policing wasnt for them.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your replay.I dont have any problem regarding my loans or mortgage,  and I never missed a payment so I should be fine. Thank you

In your experiences as a PC,what can you call the positive and negative ways regarding the job.

And did you had the chance  to advance in your role? As I mentioned, I'm applying  as I'm looking to become a CID or DC.Is anybody in this role and how do you find it?any informations will be much appreciated .

Cheers

The positive was catching criminals in the act usually on nights .Having no bosses around enthused me no end! Big down side was 2004 CPS became involved in charging decisions this meant a 45 minute shoplifting job became a 3 day nightmare cps were shyte and spoiled everything.The assaults in my case were horrendous and caused me to leave 9 months early with ptsd. Now though its the internal scrutiny of PSD and the IPCC .these people have eteral time to scrutinise everything you do with the agenda they want you in jail.If my adult kids wanted to do what you are doing I would talk them out of it! but good luck!

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your honest response  hiramabif.So in your experience, you dont recommend  joining the PC?

Seems like from the comments I read, there are more negatives  ways  then positive if you  join the PC. I'm just trying to think, what makes people so keen to join the force? 

Dont get me wrong I enjoyed 90% of it.Plus I am now 2 years out of the job with no contact with serving cops.So I just see and read the negative side of things.

Paid Membership Required

There are 8 hidden replies in this thread. To unlock the forum you will need to be a registered member and have a paid Membership Plan or Recruitment Pass. Click HERE for full details.