john60wales

Fiearms Certificate

Hello there,

I hope non-police are welcome here...if not I'll quietly leave:-)

Anyway I have a query & I was wondering if someone could help me with it?

I currently hold a FAC...& its up for renewal in a few months time. My force [South Wales Police] is taking a hard line on any non-disclosed convictions...which as you probably know includes old driving convictions. I ordered a PNC check [which came back clean] but it did not mention any old driving convictions. I know I had a speeding ticket sometime in the 80s & possibly a driving without care & attention around the same time. I cannot for the life of me remember whether I had a verbal warning or it went to court.

To be honest I don't want to put down the wrong info on my renewal form [not with this hard line they are taking]...so how can I find out about any old endorsements etc I may have had? I've been on the DVLA site & all it shows is I currently have 0 Penalty Points!

Thanks in advance

John

What did you declare last time, I suspect that you did not include those in 1980.  Not too sure of the wording now in the questions but I would suspect that as you are only renewing the certificate you would not declare two driving convictions nearly 40 years ago that you cannot remember the details of.  The think that the only one you would need to declare would be a conviction like Driving over the drink drive limit.

But, this is only the advice that I give and I could be wrong having retired 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply Zulu22. Last time I did indeed declare my driving convictions...but with the caveat that the timings were approximate. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to cut much swathe now...SW Police want to know exact dates [or so I've been told].

cheers

John

5 hours ago, john60wales said:

Thanks for the reply Zulu22. Last time I did indeed declare my driving convictions...but with the caveat that the timings were approximate. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to cut much swathe now...SW Police want to know exact dates [or so I've been told].

cheers

John

If you declared them last time then it is essential that you declare them this time. If the motoring convictions were as far back as 1980 I would be amazed if they would decline to renew your firearms licence.  Just make sure that you can account for the firearms and the amount of ammunition held.

As you said S.W. Police are taking a hard line on undisclosed convictions. You have already disclosed them. It appears that some people may not have been disclosing past convictions and it is those where a problem and crack down arises.