Sign in to follow this  
Mark101

Mopeds used in Crime

I see in the news there has been a large increase in thefts of phones by people on mopeds in London etc.

Bosses say officers are chasing these thieves and there is an increase in pursuits over the last year.

Officers are saying that they are not chasing thieves as bosss will not support them, if any happens to the thieves.

Why are Bosses not telling the truth and stop lying to the public, making them thinking the police are doing something.

I have never seen such a split between Bosses & officers on this subject....... I just wonder if the government applies pressure to Bosses to say things to support their agenda.

I would like to see the IPCC investigate the lies and this might focus their minds, to tell the truth or face losing their job/pension.

Edited by Mark101

The pursuit policy does allow a pursuit of a motorcycle, indeed, we can deploy a stinger device on a motorcycle. However, only on authority from a control room Inspector of above. This does not happen, simple as. If a motorcycle makes off, if a stolen motorcycle makes off, there is no pursuit, at all. This is common knowledge, hence the increase in two wheel related crime. I'm just a thick traffic man but even I can see the pattern here. I'm sure that someone with an 'ology will be able to correct me and tell me that no, it's not because of that, and attempt to explain something completely irrationally.

Our force made a huge push on being open, honest and transparent a few years ago. There are many things that have happened since that have led me to believe that this only applies to those of the rank of Sgt and PC. Pips and above can be more selective.

Tpac quite clearly states if you have no tactics to bring a collision to a safe conclusion, there is no pursuit. Period. As such, the general rule of thumb is no pursuits of motorcycles, and anyone who does pursue one is likely to find themselves in a whole heap of bother.

The only departure from the general rule of thumb is if the circumstances are so exceptional as to merit stopping an offender on two wheels that the benefit in doing so outweighs the risk.

Bosses just do not like acknowledging a hue problem. I would not describe them as mopeds, they are motor scooters. It is well known that they can escape down entries and paths anytime.  They have to be stationary at some time, and that is the time to hit them. A large majority are stolen and using false plates.