Sign in to follow this  
Bondirob

Realistic at my age?

Hi,

I'm considering applying to West Yorkshire, however I am 43 so would it be a realistic second career at my age? It's sort of now or never I've been an engineer since leaving school but it's not something I'm passionate about. Where as I see joining the police as my way of helping others and contributing to society in some way.

Im not considering joining the police for financial reasons as I would be taking a huge pay cut, but how long is it before the initial training is over and the first pay raise comes into effect? I ask because should I be successful I'd be right on the limit financially at 22k

Thanks Rob

Hi Bob.

I joined 8 years ago as a 40 year old after working in a few other jobs since uni and to be honest I have loved every minute.  Its hard work, it can be rewarding, its thankless, its boring and exciting, its funny, its disgusting, you see the best and worst of people, its perverse in that the pay is not nearly enough for the responsibility you have or for the effects you can have on peoples lives, the government generally don't support us and you'll miss a lot of your family.

I took a big pay cut to join and now after 8 years I'm earning what I was prior to joining although when you take inflation into account my wages still haven't caught up.  You'll also be working rolling shifts and doing a lot of lates and nights so you'll really have to be in the position of wanting to do the job if you take it on.

I've spent most of my time on response, but I've had a a period regging as a temporary sergeant and I'm now a DC, so you can move around quite a bit and get experience in different areas and roles.

IIRC you get your first increment after 12 months, although that may have changed due to government 'reforms, then every 12 m after that with top wack being achieved after 7 years.  Also are you sure that your force starts on £22k because not all do.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to reply Skydiver. If it is realistic for me and I can afford it I will apply.

I'm currently doing continental shifts so im doing weekends Sat night etc. I do miss family life at times but I tend to make it up in other ways like being able to do the school run on occasion.

It does sound really interesting compared to what I do now. I'd love to have the chance to move around. In my current position I'm fairly stuck because they struggle to backfill so as a consequence there's really nowhere for me to go. I want the extra responsibility I'm tired of doing my job almost on autopilot.

Can I ask what Response entails?

The only other thing is I am the main earner and as such I've always wanted to earn as much as I can to look after my family and I do feel a bit selfish in taking a pay cut to follow what I want to do. However my wife is very supportive and thinks it would suit me down to the ground.

Thanks for letting me know about the 22k I've just checked and West Yorkshire are offering that amount.

Opps just realised I called you Bob rather than Rob...:blush:

Most people start on response partly because if you can hack that you can handle most other police roles in terms of the grief you get and the long hours.  Response respond to grade 1 and 2 calls i.e. emergency and priority calls so fights, burglaries, shop theft, that sort of thing. It also involves dealing with missing people from your average truculent teenager in care to the 80 year old with dementia and although the former does get tedious you sometimes can come across child sexual exploitation and other serious crime as part of doing the initial response or debriefing  them when they return.  It also involves all manner of very tedious jobs such as constant watches in custody or bed watches in hospital, as well as scene preservation, or house to house.  You also get pulled from pillar to post with control wanting you to finish every job before you're ready in order to go to the next one, as well as other departments wanting you to do their boring jobs for them. Depending on your force you may have a crime q to manage i.e. some more of the straight forward investigations that come your way, or you may work for a force where respond just respond, arrest and take statements before handing over.  You may also do some shifts in the night time economy so prepared to get bored telling people that pregnant women can't piss in your helmet and having your picture taken with 1001 drunken revellers, as well as breaking up fights, refereeing arguments and arguing with people who think they know the law but quite obviously don't. Oh and driving fast after a 3 week standard driving course which is a massive amount of fun.  Depending where you are based you may be a very long way from back up so you'll have to rely on your silver tongue, whit and sparkling repartee in order to avoid getting assaulted, or you may have 20 PCs just minutes away at the touch of an emergency button, both of which will sometimes influence the way you deal with people.  Response used to be able to proactive work but those days have pretty much gone with all the cuts we've suffered, however you still may be able to deal with the odd drink driver.

You sound realistic about the hours which is good and you are right in saying that you will have a lot more responsibility, but there is also a lot of scrutiny of what you are doing.

• Like 1

Thanks once again Skydiver.

Bob is fine it's what I was always called back in my coal mining days😁

Response sounds how I imagine police work to be. That sort of thing would be right up my street. I want to be kept busy and I've always liked variety at work. Plus I'm very patient and don't get sound up easily.

Is this something I could do after the 2 year probation is up?

Most probationers start on response then move on from there.  I was on a cohort of about 22 people and I think that about 18 or 19 went straight onto response to be tutored and even those who were tutored in a neighbourhood shift moved over to response when they were signed off as independent.  Most of the tick box stuff in the SOLAP folder is also easier to do on response than in other departments.  I can't remember what SOLAP stands for but it is there to demonstrate your ability to do a range of activities needed in your role, such as arrests, presenting a prisoner to custody, statement taking, dealing with conflict etc etc.

Things change though and now in my force students spend time on response and in a local investigation unit getting tutored swapping half way through their 10 week in company period, and remain in that unit for 6 months when they are signed off.

I know some people who have never left response in 20 plus years whereas others move on as soon as they can as they hated it so much.  I must admit that the novelty of having my baldness, glasses and my similarity to a ladies privates being pointed out constantly for hours on end does get boring sometimes.

• Like 1

WYP is an excellent employer.I have tutored someone older than you when he joined he is still going I think? ( however the only one of 11 I tutored I didn't get on with!). Ex squaddies and ex miners always seem to do well in WYP. Just be careful every key stroke is monitored and everything you do must be regarded as recorded in HD. If I joined today my biggest worry would be falling in the crap and hung out to dry.You will need the constitution of a lion to tough out the complaints.But good luck its mainly still good I think!

2 minutes ago, hiramabif said:

WYP is an excellent employer.I have tutored someone older than you when he joined he is still going I think? ( however the only one of 11 I tutored I didn't get on with!). Ex squaddies and ex miners always seem to do well in WYP. Just be careful every key stroke is monitored and everything you do must be regarded as recorded in HD. If I joined today my biggest worry would be falling in the crap and hung out to dry.You will need the constitution of a lion to tough out the complaints.But good luck its mainly still good I think!

Thanks for that stupid question I know but what is hd?

What do they record private life as well as work?

11 hours ago, skydiver said:

Most probationers start on response then move on from there.  I was on a cohort of about 22 people and I think that about 18 or 19 went straight onto response to be tutored and even those who were tutored in a neighbourhood shift moved over to response when they were signed off as independent.  Most of the tick box stuff in the SOLAP folder is also easier to do on response than in other departments.  I can't remember what SOLAP stands for but it is there to demonstrate your ability to do a range of activities needed in your role, such as arrests, presenting a prisoner to custody, statement taking, dealing with conflict etc etc.

Things change though and now in my force students spend time on response and in a local investigation unit getting tutored swapping half way through their 10 week in company period, and remain in that unit for 6 months when they are signed off.

I know some people who have never left response in 20 plus years whereas others move on as soon as they can as they hated it so much.  I must admit that the novelty of having my baldness, glasses and my similarity to a ladies privates being pointed out constantly for hours on end does get boring sometimes.

Thanks again Skydiver your a great help as well as being funny😁

I can't apply till some time in September so I'm going to spend the next few weeks doing some due diligence on everything from the application process, the job itself and how the police operate right through to pensions. It's clear to me there is so much I need to learn and I want to make the right decision before I apply.

15 hours ago, Bondirob said:

Thanks for that stupid question I know but what is hd?

What do they record private life as well as work?

HD means high definition both on the publics phones and police body cams.Social media is heavily monitored by those in charge and be careful who your friends are once you join.

22 minutes ago, hiramabif said:

HD means high definition both on the publics phones and police body cams.Social media is heavily monitored by those in charge and be careful who your friends are once you join.

Ahh got it thanks thought it was some hr dept

One more thing Rob.  Your tutor will probably be a lot younger than you and I can guarantee that when you go to domestics people will look to you for advice rather than your tutor because you will look like the experienced one out of the two of you.  Been there done that, but equally I often cringed when a 19 year old student I tutored tried to give marriage advice to a 40 year old couple, so it works both ways.

47 minutes ago, skydiver said:

One more thing Rob.  Your tutor will probably be a lot younger than you and I can guarantee that when you go to domestics people will look to you for advice rather than your tutor because you will look like the experienced one out of the two of you.  Been there done that, but equally I often cringed when a 19 year old student I tutored tried to give marriage advice to a 40 year old couple, so it works both ways.

That's not a problem I'm there to learn regardless of my tutors age. Hopefully being a bit older might come in handy at times

Sign in to follow this