PIGSICK

QUESTION RE IOD AWARD.

Hi everyone,

Just hoping someone can give me a bit of correct advice on the following.

I was medically retired in 2005 having been diagnosed with PTSD and secondary depression. I was very ill. I got an ill health pension. I did not realise until last year that I should be in receipt of an IOD award. I applied for one and have recently been informed that I will get one but that it will only be backdated to last year when I applied. The police authority were aware of my claims that it was caused through work when they retired me, Several psychiatrists have backed up my claims over the years.

I wish to challenge the date of backdated award and believe that it should be from the date I retired because as stated they knew at that time that I was claiming the injury was caused through work.

I have read the Police (Injury Benefit) Regs 2006 which seem to indicate that I should be paid from the time of my retirement.    Anyone have any knowledge or thoughts please?  Thanks very much. 

Try Pipin.org.uk which is a Web site run by retired IOD officers and is full of useful information. I would recommend that you also seek an appointment with your Federation and an officer from the JBB officers. If the injury/ illness was as a result of being on duty you should still be entitled to full backing. I was Fed but a lot has changed in the last 5 years.

You do need advice as, among other options they could try and recall you to duty.   The Piping Web site has valuable information and links. I have several levy arch files with regs and stated cases, which are now a little dated but, all the info is available through Piping.  NARPO could also help but, it essential that you get advice from an expert who is intimate with the Regs and details.

Hope everything goes ok for you. The Piping step has a Forum with many experienced heads, and us worth joining.

Edited by Zulu 22

I have been declared permanently disabled so know I will not be recalled to duty. I have been assisted by the fed rep but he seems to agree with the HR manager.

I thought the IOD procedure was covered by the Police (Injury Benefit) Regs 2006 and Reg 43(1) states  should get paid from the date I retired.  Am I wrong?

3 hours ago, PIGSICK said:

I have been declared permanently disabled so know I will not be recalled to duty. I have been assisted by the fed rep but he seems to agree with the HR manager.

I thought the IOD procedure was covered by the Police (Injury Benefit) Regs 2006 and Reg 43(1) states  should get paid from the date I retired.  Am I wrong?

I believe that you are right but, as I say I am a little out of date so would be loathe to comment. However your JBB Federation Officers should know. A Local Fed. Rep, however dedicated, does not have the intimate knowledge required. Contacting the NARPO office in Wakefield could also be helpful.

Check out the PIPPIN web site and their Forum which carries a lot of information and contacts.