Toptaff31

Change of heart about a career in the police: any advice?

Hi all,

I'm a recent university graduate who's been going through the SEARCH DC recruitment process for the Hampshire Constabulary, and passed the first assessment day a month or so ago. Since then, having done a lot more thinking into the shift work, effect of relationships/social life, etc, which comes with a job in the police, I've come to the decision that my heart's no longer in it anymore. I know these kind of u-turns do happen, but I'm still angry with myself for throwing in the towel. I understand that to be a DC, you've got to really, really want to do it, and unfortunately that's not me right now.

My final assessment day is in a few days time, but my partner still thinks I should go anyway because she believes it's a great opportunity and that the job might bring me out of my shell, and that the is experience of another assessment day is a good thing. I feel as though I shouldn't waste their time and that it's unfair on those who do want the job to be in competition with someone who's only going to turn round and say 'thanks, but no thanks' should they pass the final assessment day. 

What advice would you guys give? I don't want to disappoint my partner and come across as a flake, but at the same time it's not right to put on a facade and attend something which will ultimately be futile.

You appear to have serious reservations about the job you are applying for and that appears to me to manifest a lack of the commitment necessary for such a post which leads me to believe you should withdraw from the selection process.  It does you credit that you realise you might be wasting everyones' time if you continued merely for the sake of the experience and I have to say I can see some use in that line of thinking. 

I suspect you need more time to think about what you want to do with your life and which profession you wish to follow.     

• Like 1

If you have got such serious reservations now I'd say the job isn't for you and sometimes you have to act on a gut instinct so maybe that is the case now.  There's no point going into a job where you can get into serious trouble or have a massive influence on someone's life whilst having second thoughts.   I would also have thought that you could get a graduate job in another industry and get paid a lot more than with the police whilst having a lot less tress.  I'd also say that although experience of an assessment day can stand you in good stead for other assessments, the police one is very different from just about every other assessment centre I've ever seen, so you may not be able to take too many lessons from it apart from teh ability to deal with the pressure of the day.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• Like 1

As the above two posts. Do not waste their time or yours. If there is one position for ruining relationships it is the CID.

Many thanks all for your replies! I didn't go 

On 7/21/2017 at 11:49, skydiver said:

If you have got such serious reservations now I'd say the job isn't for you and sometimes you have to act on a gut instinct so maybe that is the case now.  There's no point going into a job where you can get into serious trouble or have a massive influence on someone's life whilst having second thoughts.   I would also have thought that you could get a graduate job in another industry and get paid a lot more than with the police whilst having a lot less tress.  I'd also say that although experience of an assessment day can stand you in good stead for other assessments, the police one is very different from just about every other assessment centre I've ever seen, so you may not be able to take too many lessons from it apart from teh ability to deal with the pressure of the day.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Many thanks for your reply. Yes my first assessment day was certainly a bit of a shock to the system (not necessarily in a bad way, but it was certainly very intense). Got a 51% pass in it, which although was just about a pass, didn't really fill me with much confidence. I did decide in the end not to go, and I feel as though it was definitely the right choice. 

The bit you say about the graduate jobs is probably true, but as a languages graduate, the chance of finding a high paying job directly linked to my course is not as high as with other degrees. In fact, earning £23,000 starting during my 2 year training for a DC role was one of the higher bands salary wise that i'd been offered. But as you say, my reservations are too strong to go even further.