jmc195

Various traffic questions for a traffic guru...

First of all I do apologise for the following barrage of questions. In the last couple of weeks of my initial training and I'm going over my weakest area and there's a few things I need answering/help with. 

Firstly, driving without a licence and insurance. I have noticed both of these offences are on the list for TOR's. But I've been told by some people that you report for a summons instead of issuing the TOR and letting someone else decide. Any thoughts on this? Say if someone had a licence but no insurance then I guess a TOR would be appropriate and a seizure of course. But if a driver had neither DL/insurance would a TOR not be appropriate as that's two offences ? 

Secondly, having no MOT results in the issue of a fixed penalty notice. So let's say an officer issues the notice but it is impracticable for the driver to book an MOT on the spot or to leave their car in a safe place until one is booked (live out the area). Then technically every time they drive that vehicle they are committing a fresh offence so how would you deal with that situation ?

Lastly, if a drink-driver departs their car and enters a house what power of entry do we have? Would sect 17cover it only if there has been an accident ? 

Thanks in advance sorry for being a pain!!

You can TOR licence/insurance as they can issue a fixed penalty of £200 and 6 points (at least that's how much it was last time I did one) but summons is equally an option.

regarding the MOT it would depend on if the car is safe to drive or not for me.

s4 RTA has a power of entry under S17 PACE Just remember your going in to arrest not breathalyse. 

• Like 1