Sign in to follow this  
Ck01

Passing on the left? Offence?

Find my self in this situation daily. Many of the roads I drive are two lane duel carriage ways, with roundabouts roughly every mile/ half mile. Here’s the situation, I’m traveling to the limit, conditions are good, speed is safe, using lane 1. As I’m making progress in light/ no traffic and I’m passing cars on the left who feel the need to do 40/50 in a 70, am I wrong in passing all these drivers on the left? Or should I be moving into lane 2, flashing them to move across. To pass them to then move back into lane 1? The HC Isn’t very clear on these situations, sorry if there’s already a thread for this, I couldn’t find it, and the few I’ve found on other sites have never had any clear answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no clear answer. It depends on the exact circumstances at the time and the opinion/attitude of the police officer who sees you doing this.
The Highway Code allows for traffic moving faster than that in a lane to the right to pass the slower traffic but the HC is not the law and some eager beaver could say you are driving carelessly or recklessly.

8 hours ago, Ck01 said:

Find my self in this situation daily. Many of the roads I drive are two lane duel carriage ways, with roundabouts roughly every mile/ half mile. Here’s the situation, I’m traveling to the limit, conditions are good, speed is safe, using lane 1. As I’m making progress in light/ no traffic and I’m passing cars on the left who feel the need to do 40/50 in a 70, am I wrong in passing all these drivers on the left? Or should I be moving into lane 2, flashing them to move across. To pass them to then move back into lane 1? The HC Isn’t very clear on these situations, sorry if there’s already a thread for this, I couldn’t find it, and the few I’ve found on other sites have never had any clear answers.

Basically yes you are wrong and dangerous drivging, unless it is a slow moving queue of traffic.

So you’re saying If you were in my position, you’d match the speed of the vehicle in lane 2 and not pass slowly on the inside? Causing tailbacks in lane 1 and reducing the speed of the carriageway to 40 for no reason, say a traffic cop observed the passing on the left, who would he pull? Me for passing on the left, or the other driver for not keeping left and lane hogging, which is equally inconsiderate driving, and in my eyes worse than what I do.

What you describe would not be dangerous driving -
A person drives dangerously when:
~ the way they drive falls far below the minimum acceptable standard expected of a competent and careful driver; and
~ it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous.
Thousands of people do what you describe every day without being prosecuted.
You may become unstuck if one of the slow movers on your right decides to move into lane 1 as you are passing and there is a collision. You will argue that they should have looked first and they will say you shouldn't have been undertaking. You are likely to get done.

2 hours ago, Ck01 said:

So you’re saying If you were in my position, you’d match the speed of the vehicle in lane 2 and not pass slowly on the inside? Causing tailbacks in lane 1 and reducing the speed of the carriageway to 40 for no reason, say a traffic cop observed the passing on the left, who would he pull? Me for passing on the left, or the other driver for not keeping left and lane hogging, which is equally inconsiderate driving, and in my eyes worse than what I do.

I am a retired officer but at one time was a traffic cop. I would have reported you for Dangerous, Reckless, or Careless driving with no problem. Read the Highway Code, sections 138 tom 145 and the legislation over taking is to the right of the vehicle in front, not to the left. The highway code clearly says "Only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is indicating to turn right, and there is room to do so." Whe you applied for a licence you did certify that you were conversant with the highway code.

I checked with an ex colleague who is now a driving test examiner, he stated that had you done that on a driving test you would have failed and your test would have been terminated immediately.

How would you prove the driving is dangerous, reckless or careless? It’s clearly not if done safely. As id more than likely be dead or banned by now if not. But I’m still here and with a clean licence. 138 refers to a 3 lane carriageway, and it says “you may use the middle or right lane to overtake” not MUST. And everything upto 145 is irrelevant after that. Undertaking is not illegal. Only if done dangerously

And I’m not alone in passing these cars, everything following me does the exact same, surely if you’d go after anyone it’d be the person right lane hogging.

I am a retired officer but at one time was a traffic cop. I would have reported you for Dangerous, Reckless, or Careless driving with no problem. Read the Highway Code, sections 138 tom 145 and the legislation over taking is to the right of the vehicle in front, not to the left. The highway code clearly says "Only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is indicating to turn right, and there is room to do so." Whe you applied for a licence you did certify that you were conversant with the highway code.
I checked with an ex colleague who is now a driving test examiner, he stated that had you done that on a driving test you would have failed and your test would have been terminated immediately.

How would you approach this situation as a member of public wanting to pass this car? Seems like catch 22, undertaking is bad, also getting behind them and flashing lights could get you done for aggressive driving by bullying?

It cannot be done safely though. Have a read of the Highway Code, or perhaps this does not apply to you. Two wrongs do not make a right. 

If it was me and still working the car hogging the outside lane would be reported and the car undertaking would also be reported.  Too many drivers seem to feel that the law does not apply to them and that they can do whatever they want. That type of driver does not deserve to hold a driving licence. 

The highway code states that you overtake on the right only, unless you are in a slow moving traffic queue. I am surprised that you have no penalty points as you soon may have.

I’m saying if you were a member of the public, how would you go about passing this person? I’m asking solely to improve my own driving ability’s

It cannot be done safely though. Have a read of the Highway Code, or perhaps this does not apply to you. Two wrongs do not make a right. 
If it was me and still working the car hogging the outside lane would be reported and the car undertaking would also be reported.  Too many drivers seem to feel that the law does not apply to them and that they can do whatever they want. That type of driver does not deserve to hold a driving licence. 
The highway code states that you overtake on the right only, unless you are in a slow moving traffic queue. I am surprised that you have no penalty points as you soon may have.

The Highway Code is not the law, just guidance.
I undertake like this nearly every day on my way to work. There's a 3-5 mile section of motorway that is very busy approaching two busy junctions half a mile apart. The middle lane usually goes along at about 50 mph with lanes 1 and 3 doing about 40. When you pass the first junction lane 1 speeds up and goes faster than lanes 2 or three.
I often undertake in close proximity to a marked police car as there is a traffic centre just off the motorway. Those officers could stop hundreds of us drivers if they thought it was a serious crime, but then they'd have to stick themselves on as well.

3 hours ago, Ck01 said:

I’m saying if you were a member of the public, how would you go about passing this person? I’m asking solely to improve my own driving ability’s

Wait, two wrongs do not make a right.

1 hour ago, Reasonable Man said:

The Highway Code is not the law, just guidance.
I undertake like this nearly every day on my way to work. There's a 3-5 mile section of motorway that is very busy approaching two busy junctions half a mile apart. The middle lane usually goes along at about 50 mph with lanes 1 and 3 doing about 40. When you pass the first junction lane 1 speeds up and goes faster than lanes 2 or three.
I often undertake in close proximity to a marked police car as there is a traffic centre just off the motorway. Those officers could stop hundreds of us drivers if they thought it was a serious crime, but then they'd have to stick themselves on as well.

Do you remember anything about your Police Driving Course(s). You would have failed.

Do you remember anything about your Police Driving Course(s). You would have failed.

I did what I needed to pass and then drive like the rest of the cops after their course.
'Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.'

There are 8 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE
Sign in to follow this