Sign in to follow this  
Westie

Manchester attack

Of course, it goes without saying, that my condolences are to the families who lost loved ones in the Manchester Arena attack, RIP all those who lost their lives, and I wish a very speedy recovery to all those injured too. Having said all that, I have just seen Sky news, and it was announced that one of those who was killed was a serving police officer. As a retired police officer now, I would also like to say the same to that officer and their family too. On the report that I saw, it did not say whether it was a male or female officer. It matters not. They were killed carrying out their duty, and whether past or present, it could have been any one of us. As I said, RIP.

• Like 2

It was a female officer there with her husband and two children. Manchester is strong, when you hurt one, you hurt us all but, we will survive and refuse to yield to terror.

Condolences to all caught up in  the atrocity.

I just got back last weekend from two weeks at home in Manchester. The area around the Arena is very familiar to me and i was round and about there a few times during my stay. I spent much of yesterday making sure my family and friends were safe; fortunately, they were.

As Zulu' said, Manchester is a strong city; it is also a very diverse city and i am always heartened when I hear a broad Manc' accent spoken by someone who looks Asian, Chinese, African or from some other part of the globe - somehow, it seems to show the city we are - very international with historic ties to many places and a deep history of social justice and innovation - Emmeline Pankhust (a great x 4 relation) - a great emancipator, Tom Kilburn, Tommy Flowers and Alan Turing - the three leading lights in the development of the world's first computers; Messrs Rolls and Royce, A V Roe and many engineers who led the world; not forgetting our sport - Man United and Man City (not forgetting our most heroic foreign player - Bert Trautmann, a German former PoW who played the last 20 minutes of the 1956 Cup Final with a broken neck). That's the city we Mancs are proud to call home.

To the families and friends of those killed or injured no words will ever put right their loss and hurt. How unfair that they should suffer because of the warped ideology of a few. For a family to be injured and also lose their Mum, an off-duty Police Officer, and for two Polish sisters to lose their parents seems incomprehensible. May they all Rest In Peace and families eventually be able to remember only the good times with their loved ones.

GMP seem to be on top of the situation - arrests have also been made in Libya (the suicide bomber's brother and father). perhaps this atrocity could have been prevented if adequate resources were available - we will probably never know. What was obvious to me was that however slim the resources, on the night as people fled from the scene, men and women from GMP were running towards the unknown to provide whatever aid they could and uphold their oath of office.For that we can be very thankful and for the ambulance and fire crews and the NHS teams who are still working on some of the worst injuries.

Manchester aand UK are at their best when backs are against the wall. 

• Like 5

Zulu 22 stated that Manchester is strong, when you hurt one you hurt us all.
I'd like to extend that to the whole of the UK.
Hurt one, you hurt us all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The murdered officer has been named as DC Elaine McIver, a Cheshire officer. Her husband has been critically injured and their two children also injured - although it seems not critically. There are really no words that can adequately express the sorrow and despair that will be felt by so many at this loss and the family's situation.  May Elaine's soul Rest In Peace and let us hope that her husband and children recover. My sympathy to all their family, their friends and Elaine's colleagues. 

• Like 2

I am posting a second message because I did not want to tarnish Elaine's memory with any other remarks. However, I think the time has come for firm action to be taken against the threat-within that exists in many of our big cities.

In the short term, all immigration of young men, that is anyone who claims to be from 12 to 35, from Muslim countries must be halted until we can get a grip on the situation. Those on the watch-lists need to be dealt with - if they are not born in UK, they should be removed to their home country immediately - no appeals, no false-flag human rights crap. Remember, this current suicide scrote was born in UK of a Libyan father who himself was an Al Qaeda activist who got UK refugee status on the basis that he opposed Qaddafi; he's now back there working for the police in one of the Islamist stronghold (but even they don't trust him as he has been arrested by them along with his other son).  Those born in UK should be removed if they are of foreign parentage. If they are not they must be screened, tagged and subject to tight curfews and restrictions on travel outside their home.

At the same time, all mosques must be subject to review - any that have even a hint of extremist views needs to be told that they must remove the extremists or be closed. This isn't an attack on Islam because the perversion of extremism isn't found in the normal interpretation of the Koran nor the teachings of their prophet.

This sounds draconian and "not the British way" - well, so be it, It isn't the British way to allow our children to be murdered because of a perverted ideology and idly standby whilst the perpetrators look for more opportunities to harm the country and its people. This situation has been developing for some time; now is the time to stamp down very hard and remove the rot. this can be followed by more efforts to integrate all children into a non-religious education system where rights go along side-by-side with responsibilities and loyalty.

• Like 4

On 25/05/2017 at 13:35, OldAfricaHand said:

I am posting a second message because I did not want to tarnish Elaine's memory with any other remarks. However, I think the time has come for firm action to be taken against the threat-within that exists in many of our big cities.

In the short term, all immigration of young men, that is anyone who claims to be from 12 to 35, from Muslim countries must be halted until we can get a grip on the situation. Those on the watch-lists need to be dealt with - if they are not born in UK, they should be removed to their home country immediately - no appeals, no false-flag human rights crap. Remember, this current suicide scrote was born in UK of a Libyan father who himself was an Al Qaeda activist who got UK refugee status on the basis that he opposed Qaddafi; he's now back there working for the police in one of the Islamist stronghold (but even they don't trust him as he has been arrested by them along with his other son).  Those born in UK should be removed if they are of foreign parentage. If they are not they must be screened, tagged and subject to tight curfews and restrictions on travel outside their home.

At the same time, all mosques must be subject to review - any that have even a hint of extremist views needs to be told that they must remove the extremists or be closed. This isn't an attack on Islam because the perversion of extremism isn't found in the normal interpretation of the Koran nor the teachings of their prophet.

This sounds draconian and "not the British way" - well, so be it, It isn't the British way to allow our children to be murdered because of a perverted ideology and idly standby whilst the perpetrators look for more opportunities to harm the country and its people. This situation has been developing for some time; now is the time to stamp down very hard and remove the rot. this can be followed by more efforts to integrate all children into a non-religious education system where rights go along side-by-side with responsibilities and loyalty.

We are told to celebrate diversity and multi-culturalism and these issues do, indeed, have positive aspects, but there is also a downside.

When a country has a significant number of individuals within its boundaries who were born abroad (or whose immediate ancestors come into that category) and have a different culture, religion, and ideology there is always a potential risk that these individuals will have split loyalties, or no loyalties whatsoever, to the host country. This is particularly the case if these individuals harbour some type of grudge (real or imagined) against the host country.

I think it apparent that we have such a situation in the UK now and although the vast majority of immigrants and persons whose ethnicity is not British will probably not fall into this category I believe there are certain segments who do and pose a continuing threat if actions similar to those outlined by OAH are not brought into being. I believe we are destined to have years of continued terrorist acts in the UK but we could perhaps reduce the number of these incidents if we took decisive action now.

If the sheer numbers of persons of interest to our Security Services in respect of suspect terrorist activity, of whatever type, are to be believed then we have a situation that our current methods of monitoring and policing cannot realistically deal with.

• Like 1

It depresses me to say so but, the Government must withdraw the EHRA so that they can deport anyone partaking in terrorism, in any way.

• Like 2

On 27/05/2017 at 13:12, Zulu 22 said:

It depresses me to say so but, the Government must withdraw the EHRA so that they can deport anyone partaking in terrorism, in any way.

Totally agree, and if things continue to deteriorate I would hope that HMG give some consideration to internment where appropriate.

• Like 2