Good morning to everyone, 

I am an Italian translator who is struggling with the translation of a crime fiction novel from English into Italian. The reason why I am struggling is because - as you can guess - the Italian police system is way different from the English one, so I was wondering if you could help me out here. 

I don't understand what a superintendent actually does, what are his\her responsibility? Is it a prestigious position? 

Same for the position of Sergeant: what he\she does? I understood it is a lower rank compared to the superintendent, but is there a huge difference in ranks between the two? 

And could you explain also to me which one is the most prestigious position in the UK police system? 

I am truly sorry to bother you with all these questions but all the material I've found on the Internet is quite confusing for somebody who came from another country, therefore you were my most viable option. 

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide, 

Alessia

Hi Alessia 

In short, Superintendent is three ranks above Sergeant. 

Superintendents are more likely to be dealing with the strategy and budgets etc, along with signing off (authorising) certain processes and Sergeants will be a lot more on the operational side, close to front line policing and being the immediate supervisor/manager to police constables. 

I'm sure someone else will come along and give a better version of the above, plus in the mean time, I think these two pages give a good idea of the ranks and responsibilities, although the first one is written to focus on mental health issues. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/mentalhealthcop.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/police-rank-and-roles-explained/amp/

https://www.how2become.com/blog/police-service-ranks/

• Like 1