Sign in to follow this  
Lrh677

Met police health assessment and previous mental health issues

Hi all,

I have my day 1 assessment coming up but I am concerned as to whether I would be able to make it through the health assessment if I pass the day 1 or if I should terminate my application and re-apply at a later date. I had anorexia for 4 years as a teenager and also panic disorder for about 6-8months. I have been out of MH services, maintained a healthy weight and not had a panic attack since 2012.  However I stayed on my antidepressant (used for my anxiety disorder) until October of last year. The withdrawal was difficult due to physical side effects however I haven't experienced any deterioration in my mental health, if anything I feel better since coming off of them. I have worked in and still currently work in a pretty high stress job (acute mental health support worker) and have completed a degree since being unwell. Would these factors be taken into consideration? I don't feel as though I struggle with my previous issues anymore, they were very much connected to a difficult time being a teenager! Just wanted some advice on what to expect to come up against in my health assessment and whether or not the outcome is bleak as I feel it may be after reading similar forum posts from other applicants. 

Thanks! 

When I read the first couple of lines of your question my thoughts were firmly that the police wouldn't be a suitable job for you but by the time I read the entire post I changed my mind, although I can't vouch for the force that you want to join.  It sounds that you have put a lot of thought into your application and have an acute awareness of your previous health concerns  as well as what the police might entail so hopefully you'll be OK.  I'd be as honest an upfront in your medical assessment as possible bearing in mind that the force will have asked for your medical records as part of the recruitment process.  You can also use what some people may look as a negative into a positive by showing how you coped and how the experience has helped your understanding of other people's mental health conditions.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, skydiver said:

When I read the first couple of lines of your question my thoughts were firmly that the police wouldn't be a suitable job for you but by the time I read the entire post I changed my mind, although I can't vouch for the force that you want to join.  It sounds that you have put a lot of thought into your application and have an acute awareness of your previous health concerns  as well as what the police might entail so hopefully you'll be OK.  I'd be as honest an upfront in your medical assessment as possible bearing in mind that the force will have asked for your medical records as part of the recruitment process.  You can also use what some people may look as a negative into a positive by showing how you coped and how the experience has helped your understanding of other people's mental health conditions.

Thanks for your reply! I'm worried that a similar thing will happen during screening - that they will look at my health declaration and think no way! In my current role in the NHS a similar situation nearly occurred until I was allowed an opportunity to explain the circumstances of my illness and that I was one of the lucky ones who has actually made a full recovery from an eating disorder. I hope the met do a similar thing. Fingers crossed! 

Sign in to follow this