larryd

Medical retirement advice please

Last year I had to take several weeks off work due to a neck injury.  I woke up one morning and literally could hardly move my head without pain.  It eventually settled to a level that I was comfortable enough to be able to go back to work.  However it has flared up again twice in the last month and I have had to be off work again.  I have no idea what could be causing this discomfort.  I asked my doctor for a scan but he doesn't believe it will show anything so has just referred me for physio.  The pain and discomfort now seems to be fairly constant although it can vary from day to day.  The situation has made me start thinking about the medical retirement process and what would be involved if I had to go down that route and what the financial impact would be.  What exactly would be involved?  If I was medically retired, could I start drawing my pension straight away? I have served 14 yrs.  I have heard somewhere that the job add 7 years on which would take it to 21.  Would I need the help of the federation also?  I subscribed for 10 yrs but I withdrew my fed subscription about 4 yrs ago.  Should I re-subscribe in case I need them?  Any help and advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

I'm no expert on ill health retirement, BUT, it is not a simple process. For a start you need to show that your condition is permanent, not merely something which rears it's head periodically. And the enhancement for a simple ill health retirement on the 1987 scheme is 3 1/2 years, not 7. There are enhancements for injury on duty but I have no idea how they work.

Best advice? Speak to the Fed.

Was this an IOD ( injury on duty) you don't say?? You would be extremely early to be thinking about early ill health retirement. My force was brilliant with me and I got 8 months or just over early retirement but the paperwork would have sank a battleship. Someone I am now acquainted with got the rough end of the deal but failed too keep copies of IODs failed to record ( tape on just after) interviews or photos or anything really who had no clue of the process got the bare minimum.Someone else ( who  I tutored in 1999) lost the leading hand thumb in a freak accident/ negligence ??? with cell block doors.She kept everything and had an air tight case and was pensioned off with he highest available payout.

ALWAYS submit injury on duty forms prior to finishing duty. Hardly anyone does, but in my opinion they are the most important forms that you will ever submit.

• Like 1