Sign in to follow this  
Techie1

Telegraph: Police squad deployed to protect NHS staff from attacks

I guess it is a nice gesture but, if the team is three officers covering four hospitals, it seems nothing more than a gesture. A lot of the aggravation particularly in A&E departments comes out-of-hours; so such a small team can really do little unless they are on-duty at the time. In the past, a number of Met divisions put Specials' patrols at hospitals during critical times - late Friday and Saturday evenings when drunkenness, assaults etc caused A&E staff particular problems. This was useful and ensured a dedicated presence that provided reassurance - that happens when action is taken as problems arise! 

I always made a point of visiting A&E Departments when on patrol and as a sgt & inspector I frequently instructed my PCs to do likewise. Quite often, if  trouble occurred there were already police officers in the A&E Departments already dealing with RTCs, assaults etc. that had occurred outwith the hospital and they would always intervene if necessary to deal with any disturbances occurring within A&E.

Eventually, my old force paid officers overtime to police A&E Departments on Friday and Saturday nights but in the present financial situation I understand this no longer happens.

I always thought it was a disgrace that people (usually patients) would act in an abusive manner towards medical staff but when alcohol enters the equation (and it usually does on these occasions) then all logical thought evaporates.

• Like 3

Likewise O.C.  As far as I am concerned there should be a zero tolerance regarding any form of violence in our hospitals. Like you I visited and encouraged visits by my officers. Nothing like a cuppa and  personally knowing the staff.

• Like 3

Its a sad indictment of society that NHS staff and paramedics can't be expected to get through their shifts without being assaulted.

• Like 4

That is because hospital security do nothing, they stand back and watch, a complete waste of money.

PC's already in A&E with prisoners will help out if there is trouble………what, leave their prisoners and help others. The last PC that did that got hell from their Insp. as prisoner legged it out the door in handcuffs. He was caught and security staff only said sorry. 

Seemingly 10% of all ambulance calls, police are asked to attend due to information on their system saying occupants are violent and the job has nothing to do with the police………and surprise, surprise, when police attend at the address and ask, where is the ambulance, they are told one has not been allocated but with a police presence at the address, this counts as if ambulance are in attendance……naughty, naughty, naughty.

In the old A&E at the Royal in Glasgow they had a permanent PC and a Red phone………….I believe it has all gone now.