Dimples

Damage Caused By 'Big Red Key'

Hi everyone,

I have recently been watching the police program 'Police Interceptors' and I just wondered who paid for the damage caused to an address when the Police have used the 'Big Red Key' or any other method of gaining entry, such as smashing windows or doors.

Thanks in advance peeps x

Hi everyone,
I have recently been watching the police program 'Police Interceptors' and I just wondered who paid for the damage caused to an address when the Police have used the 'Big Red Key' or any other method of gaining entry, such as smashing windows or doors.
Thanks in advance peeps x

I cant recall if its arrested or charged but if so the owner/landlord pays if no arrests Police will end up footing the bill via a claim for damages.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Owner of property…………….we do not pay out now, changed days.

Is that still he case even if the 'offender' is found to have not committed any criminal offence?

From what I am aware, and it is not view of any force, the owner of the premises,  be it private or rented,  must still pay for damages caused if damage was caused with a legal policing reason. 

On 17 April 2017 at 03:36, Dimples said:

Is that still he case even if the 'offender' is found to have not committed any criminal offence?

Yes it is. It isn't confusing really. Police will not pay out if the warrant/power of entry was lawfully obtained and executed, irrespective of the outcome; i.e. whether anything was found, any offences committed or anyone arrested. However even in cases where the wrong door was broken down - No. 14 instead of No. 24, if the information was obtained in good faith then the Police will still not pay out. If the Police were found to be negligent, maybe the warrant said 14 but they broke down 24 because they misread the warrant, then the owner may have a case.

The biggest problem in situations like this, are Police officers like Traffic Rat above (TR - not an attack, just using you as an example), in an attempt to placate the owner of the property, who say to them 'don't worry mate, just ring x, y or z, and the Police will sort your door out, we'll pay for it'. That's not the case and hasn't been for some years, but it still seems to have persisted amongst the ... ahem... 'older' members of the Police. 

The instructions are not to admit any liability whatsoever and to manage their expectations. Which means simply that if everything has been done properly then they have to pay for it themselves. 

I remember being guided to the door of a house by a local cop whilst executing a warrant, I forced the door through and a full team ran into the house. I ran into the living room and it was clearly an old persons house, and not the address we wanted. An old woman was sat in the living room having her hair cut by a neighbour. We all ran inside, said sorry, and ran straight back out again. The local cop looked again at the warrant, and we ran next door and entered the correct house. Our Sgt remained in the wrong house to sort the mess out, appologise, and the old woman got a new front door paid for. Fun times. And that was just one of many:D

Edited by Yorkshire
  • Like 1