Sign in to follow this  
Eternal

Missing person mandatory information

Hello,

If an adult over the age of 18 cuts of all contact with their relatives and is reported by them as missing and the police locate you, what are the police legally obligated to tell your relatives when they find you are safe and well? Are they legally required to tell them you're in the UK?

I'd prefer my family not even know I am in the UK anymore but I don't think they police would be allowed to tell them a lie, so what are they legally required to tell my relatives once they've located me and I'm safe and well?

Thanks.

We are happy for this topic to continue providing you read and understand the below.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. The forum disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - any documents available for download.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

I accept that the information provided here is not professional legal advice.

Please provide a general answer if possible. Thanks.

Generally providing you're over 18 the information the police give to the person who reported you missing is down to your discretion. You can choose to have no information fed back at all as you are legally an adult and providing you are safe and well you're not actually "missing" in the true sense of the word. 

Had a case just like this. The family was told that the police were satisfied that the person concerned was safe and well but did not want their family to be told of their whereabouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree we would just tell them that the person was well and was not a missing person. I would however add that I might disclose that they were safe and in this country, if there was concern that the person could be in danger if abroad. But, generally just inform them the person was safe and well.

TBH the police probably would not look for anyone over 18 assuming there were no issues (mental health, self harm, suicide, honour based violence, suspicious circumstances etc) or at most would class them as low risk would would mean that we'd only carry out cursory checks.   

Thanks for the replies. If I tell the police to say "we've located the person you reported and they are safe and well but that's all we're allowed to disclose" would the police be ok with this?

2 hours ago, Eternal said:

Thanks for the replies. If I tell the police to say "we've located the person you reported and they are safe and well but that's all we're allowed to disclose" would the police be ok with this?

Yes that should be ok. If the Police have already spoken to you they would not divulge your location against your wishes. However, if this is not so, you could save a huge amount of time and energy time by going to the Police and saying, A, and B have reported me as a missing from home.  I am here and I am safe and well, but I do not want them informing of my whereabouts.