Sign in to follow this  
Techie1

Scotsman: Police start using car-sharing club vehicles to cut costs

21 hours ago, Techie1 said:

Police officers have started using a car-sharing club which could cut costs and the size of its own fleet, The Scotsman has learned.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/police-start-using-car-sharing-club-vehicles-to-cut-costs-1-4409251 

Interesting move, hopefully it works out cheaper! 

Can't be cheaper than using  cars  seized from criminals as we do.  There never are enough vehicles available though even when we complement the fleet with a few hire cars.

• Like 1

Things continue to get worse. I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I hear these stories.

Still, one of my ancestors told the that my old force used to hire horses from a local undertaker many decades ago when they required a mounted detachment for events but they eventually decided to purchase horses for the mounted branch. Perhaps things will go the full circle and police forces will one day by their own cars.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldcopper said:

Things continue to get worse. I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I hear these stories.

Still, one of my ancestors told the that my old force used to hire horses from a local undertaker many decades ago when they required a mounted detachment for events but they eventually decided to purchase horses for the mounted branch. Perhaps things will go the full circle and police forces will one day by their own cars.  

I cannot see how they can save money.

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎04 at 17:56, Zulu 22 said:

I cannot see how they can save money.

Zulu

'The theory is that you only pay for the time you actually use the vehicle although, inevitably, the overhead costs are embedded in the hourly usage rate. Also, the cost per mile should be significantly cheaper than the mileage rate that is paid to casual car-users who use their own vehicles for business purposes. However, the down side might be that cars may not always be available when you want them. Maybe it will catch-on but I certainly feel uncomfortable about it unless it can be shown to save money which can then be spent on additional policing resources!

Yes they pay Casual and Essential car allowance but that is because they do not have enough vehicles to do their jobs. You get the extra costs as your own vehicles mileage increases, as well as maintenance and the rise in the Insurance when you notify for Police Use.

It will certain add a layer of administration and red tape. Someone has to administer it.

I guess the savings have been proved by the hospitals and universities using the scheme. Unless they all choose to use a more expensive way.
Surprisingly when I first changed my insurance for police use it was £3 cheaper!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk