Sign in to follow this  
Zulu 22

Beggars Belief

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/jessica-hussell-thomas-fendall-jailed-12760370

How could this happen, it shames us all. What on earth were they thinking, if at all. Not them first time either as serving officers have done similar in the past. Should the recruiting process have brought up alerts, whatever it beggars belief. 

Edited by Zulu 22

Where on earth are their brains, don't answer that. The damage that they do is irreparable, and they both deserved a far harsher sentence.

When I read this I was amazed at the ridiculously light sentence they both received. Apart from the multiple offences they both committed, their victim lost his job and his driving licence for two months - and I dare say, he has had to suffer a lot of trauma in just dealing with what these two characters have put him through. So, to me, a custodial sentence more akin to a minimum of 5 years would have been appropriate with an associated order to pay compensation to the victim.

On the wider issue, how the hell did these two get through the selection process; they do not appear to have any countervailing qualifications or attributes ffor the job; so presumably they must have reached some reasonable standard - or did they? 

• Like 1

We all know how they got through the selection process. Maturity, capability and a track record of ethical behaviour are no longer requirements.

I don't say this with any cynicism- these qualities have been deprioritised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

We all know how they got through the selection process. Maturity, capability and a track record of ethical behaviour are no longer requirements.

I don't say this with any cynicism- these qualities have been deprioritised.

Unless the minimum joining age is raised to, say, 30 then how can they be requirements?
I joined at 18 with little maturity, no proven capability and a very short track record of anything. At that time the average age of the intake was 21. A couple were shed early on and the rest made the grade.

13 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

But you need references and those references were checked and double checked.

Zulu'

To be frank, I think references are worthless unless they are properly examined - in the case of candidates for entry to any Police position (warranted or not), all referees should be visited and examined on their assessment of the individual (I wouldn't do this until the final stage when someone is seriously being considered for appointment). This used to happen - I know for certain that when I joined the Met Specials my three referees were personally interviewed by the then Manchester City Police. One was my former school headmaster who said I was unlikely to stick at it as my attention was quickly diverted - I saw this and the other referees' comments just after I received the first bar to my LS&GC medal (our Regular Liaison Inspector had a sense of the ironic in showing me the headmaster's comments).

To get back to the references issue - no-one gives a person as a referee unless they think they will give a good reference. I have done maybe 20+ referee visits and only once did someone suggest that the subject individual might be unsuitable. A lot of background checking these days is done on-line - social-media is a potential mine of information about attitudes, opinions, acquaintances etc but you cannot beat a face-to-face interview with someone who knows the candidate! 

One way or another, these individuals were either very lucky or "love" made them irrational .............. I'm a cynic - so I think the seeds of dishonesty and poor character were there all the time - they just weren't identified for whatever reason!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Reasonable Man said:

Unless the minimum joining age is raised to, say, 30 then how can they be requirements?
I joined at 18 with little maturity, no proven capability and a very short track record of anything. At that time the average age of the intake was 21. A couple were shed early on and the rest made the grade.

RM

I'm sure you had the makings of a reasonable man when you were 18 and this was noted!

If you know what you are looking for, you can see the seeds of maturity in an 18 year-old and make a judgement based on a range of information gained during a selection process. My worry today is that many interviewers are not hard-nosed - they are too afraid of "upsetting" candidates. But that'sjust a view based on seeing some folk in action and trying to teach effective interviewing skills.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2017 at 07:19, OldAfricaHand said:

Zulu'

To be frank, I think references are worthless unless they are properly examined - in the case of candidates for entry to any Police position (warranted or not), all referees should be visited and examined on their assessment of the individual (I wouldn't do this until the final stage when someone is seriously being considered for appointment). This used to happen - I know for certain that when I joined the Met Specials my three referees were personally interviewed by the then Manchester City Police. One was my former school headmaster who said I was unlikely to stick at it as my attention was quickly diverted - I saw this and the other referees' comments just after I received the first bar to my LS&GC medal (our Regular Liaison Inspector had a sense of the ironic in showing me the headmaster's comments).

To get back to the references issue - no-one gives a person as a referee unless they think they will give a good reference. I have done maybe 20+ referee visits and only once did someone suggest that the subject individual might be unsuitable. A lot of background checking these days is done on-line - social-media is a potential mine of information about attitudes, opinions, acquaintances etc but you cannot beat a face-to-face interview with someone who knows the candidate! 

One way or another, these individuals were either very lucky or "love" made them irrational .............. I'm a cynic - so I think the seeds of dishonesty and poor character were there all the time - they just weren't identified for whatever reason!

Totally agree with regard to references. Few people provide the name of someone as a referee without having first consulted them and ascertained that they will provide comments of a favourable nature.  I have only heard of one instance of a referee failing to support the candidate.

In my old force we always did unannounced home visits on candidates but I am informed this is no longer the case.  There is little doubt in my mind that this aspect of enquiring into the background of candidates had deteriorated.

• Like 2