Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cheese_puff

Marine conviction overturned.

5 posts in this topic

I believe that it was a military Court that found him guilty by a vote of 3 to 2. In a Civilian Court that would have been a reasonable doubt. It was also report the  3 voting to convict were non operational officers and the 2 voting to acquit were war zone officers.

I was surprised that they were appealing sentence only, but irrespective Sgnt Blackman should be freed a.s.a.p.

From the information that is now coming to light - no assessment made of his mental health, suppressed evidence of the environment and the situation in his particular duty location, barring a senior RM officer who was critical of the local command and supervision, and a trial by his "peers" who were not actually anything like his peers - three of the panel being HQ RN officers not operational RM officers - suggests to me that justice could not have been at the forefront of the mind of the Military Prosecuting Authority. Perhaps they do training attachments with the CPS.

It is difficult to defend someone who is intent on murder but all the circumstances suggest that any other service person might have done the same in those circumstances when they were under extreme pressure and had been badly let-down by their superiors - having seen pictures of the checkpoint that C/Sgt Blackman commanded, it was almost undefendable - low walls, no cover except sweltering hot metal containers, no toilet facilities and no defences again mortars, RPGs, not grenades / IEDs.

I am with Frederick Forsyth when he suggests that someone needs to investigate not just the court process but also the chain-of-command.

I was amused to see the PM say that the MoD have been supporting the Blackmans throughout the trial and appeal - what an absolute load of b#ll#cks. I rarely use this sort of profanity but this case is definitely an exception where only such a word can describe what was said! :-(

2 people like this

I agree. It was the MOD who hung him out to dry. They decided, in their wisdom, to make an example. I attended the funeral some time ago of an old soldier, A Chindit, who served behind Japanese lines, said of how they had to leave injured soldiers in the jungle. They would be left with a revolver just in case they were about to fall into enemy hands. In cases of hnopele3ssly injured soldiers then they were actually despatched by their own colleagues to save them from a long slow death. 

As you say the military court panel of 3 non operational military and 2 operational. I think you are allowed the profanity of saying Bollaux.;)

I believe it was a great mistake and injustice to put this Marine of trial in the first place and hope the fight may be continued in some way to eventually have his conviction overturned altogether.

I hope that he and his family manage to recover from the injustice which I feel has been perpetrated against them and manage to live a normal life.