Techie1

Telegraph: Police tell town they will not chase shoplifters who steal less than £100

Most of the DT story is almost word for word the same as the one carried by the Daily Fail so I wonder if it came from an agency and was just reprinted without any effort.  I've heard that newspapers have had to cut back on the number of journalists they employ to cut costs so I wonder if they see the irony of reporting that the the police have had to reduce service in some areas  due to budget cuts when newspapers have had to do the same.

My force has toyed with doing the same thing and IIRC didn't Devon and Cornwall propose that they would stop dealing with petrol station bilkings last year?  One positive side effect of this sort of policy is that larger shops at least might start trying to deter shoplifters rather than watching them come in and walk out with their stash before reporting it to the police.

I also heard a story on Five Live today about a journalist for Vice who had researched shoplifting and concluded that shoppies like to steal meat as 'everyone eats it,' it is expensive and easy to sell.  He made his discovery sound as if it was some sort of ground breaking discovery rather than something any probationer learns in their first week.

• Like 1

Positive effect!  The negative effect is the gross betrayal of the public. You know the ones we protect and the law that we are supposed to enforce. Nothing less than a disgrace. It us not the fault of the shop that the intricacies of the law require the thief to leave the store and there is no offence until thy fail to pay. 

As Trump would say - 'Fake news'.
The Sgt didn't put it very well, she may have got dragged into saying some arbitrary figure.
The truth is the police can't do everything and so must prioritise. She simply said that in the big scheme of things shoplifting has a lower priority over many other things. She did not say that the police will never deal with shoplifting ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my part of the world the police continue to arrest and process shoplifters no matter how small the value of the stolen property is but many of these cases are dealt with by FPN and when they do come before a court the penalties are usually derisory to the extent that shoplifting has, to an extent. been legalised.  

I know of one female who appeared in a court and pleaded guilty to shopliting and admitted 8 previous convictions over the previous 2/3 years for the the crime.  She was admonished on each occasion which means that although a conviction was recorded no penalty was imposed.  No much encouragement there to make her think again about mending her ways.  

8 hours ago, Reasonable Man said:

As Trump would say - 'Fake news'.
The Sgt didn't puthary well, she may wase got dragged  into saying some arb itrary figure.
The truth is the police can't do everything and so must prioritise. She simply said that in the big scheme of things shoplifting has a lower priority over many other things. She did not say that the police will never deal with shoplifting ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does not appear to be fake news, but I agree that she should have chosen her words more carefully, unless zhe was briefed that way. The report by the Inspectorate was certainly damning of Police. I belueve that the publuc are being let down by Police and Magistrates.

I did hear a C/Supt. suggest a £50 limit but thought the public would turn against the force so it never went any further.

This was the same person who told officers to issue D&D tickets but not to arrest them, over a weekend and all paid except one but this got stopped.

This is nothing new. My force wont investigate shopliftings unless the victim produces the evidence, such as CCTV and statements. They have to attend the station and produce the evidence, this also includes local, small shops, who cant afford the loss. the service they are getting is pathetic and shameful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keithboy37 said:

This is nothing new. My force wont investigate shopliftings unless the victim produces the evidence, such as CCTV and statements. They have to attend the station and produce the evidence, this also includes local, small shops, who cant afford the loss. the service they are getting is pathetic and shameful.

There is no legal reason why they should have to do that. If a shop reports a crime the Police are obliged to do something, You are right the treatment they are getting is pathetic.

Although this is doubtless a bad thing something has to give, lots of people on this forum have been retired some time and think nothing has changed, my force struggle to get to immediates, sometimes an hour or so after the event..we had just over 2200 officers five years ago now we have 1450 ish ...as for shopkeepers attending the station with cctv etc, why not ? there's  no legal reason why they shouldn't ..as I say something has to give ...face facts we can't carry on doing the same with 30% less people...what would you suggest we don't do?

• Like 1

On 10/03/2017 at 22:36, Zulu 22 said:

Positive effect!  The negative effect is the gross betrayal of the public. You know the ones we protect and the law that we are supposed to enforce. Nothing less than a disgrace. It us not the fault of the shop that the intricacies of the law require the thief to leave the store and there is no offence until thy fail to pay. 

TBH Zulu I agree with you but I also think that some shops have the capacity to help themselves a lot more by deterring known shop lifters.

2todo also makes a valid point about cutbacks leaving the front line bare.  I'll give you two examples from my force.  Firstly we are often taking 2 hours or more to get to shop lifters so shop staff sometimes release the thief before we get there.  Secondly a couple of week ago we had two stabbings on a saturday night in the city centre but we didn't have any staff left to go to the local hospital when the second victim presented himself there although he had three stab wounds.  Those situations were unthinkable a couple of years ago 

I agree, the buck stops with the Senior Command. The Federation pointed out to Mrs May at Conference that you cannot do more with less and she derided them for saying so. I did not notice the Chief Constable's standing up and publicly agreeing with the Federation or supporting them in any way. The person in the firing line is the front line officer and you can understand when he(she) decides to short circuit the system by doing nothing. The main problem is that the public do not realise just what a mess Government and Senior Command are making.

You cannot take criticism away from the MHIC's either as they should be screaming the faults in funding from the rooftops.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, keithboy37 said:

We do a similar thing with Drive offs, the garage must fill out a statement on line, copy cctv and then it will get allocated only if there are enquiries to do……..majority of the time, there is never any CCTV and it is a way of making the till balance!

We also do it with appointments, if a member of the public want an actual time to see an officer then they have to attend the station………….hardly anyone attends and job gets binned but it automatically gets crimed.

……...saying that, what other organisation goes and visits people 3 to 5 times to try and speak with someone who is clearly avoiding the police and they are the complainants……no one but we do………..we are mad.

A lot of the big shops annoyed me by setting 'traps' of high value items near the door ways and then wait and pounce on already known shoplifters when they took the bait.Rather than doing loss reduction work which of course is far more boring than catching people in the act.

Theft is theft but I believe there should be a balance.Where large stores have teams of store detectives and know the system they could do more than have an arrest at any cost policy.

21 hours ago, keithboy37 said:

Little wonder that regard for the police is much diminished in many places. I hear so many stories along these lines.

Several people have told me that when police officers arrived at their homes/places of business in response to complaints of various types the police officers told them almost immediately that there was nothing they could do or tried to talk them out of making a formal complaint, the latter being along the lines of, ``There are no witnesses'' or ``We don't have much chance of catching anyone'' etc. etc.

A couple of years ago I was in a neighbour's house when 2 police officers arrived in response to his complaint about theft of garden ornaments/furniture. The officers, from the very start, began to talk the neighbour out of complaining and although I thought their powers of persuasion were lacking they succeeded in their aim. 

Many complainers who receive this treatment conclude that the officers in question are simply lazy or incompetant and, although they may be correct in some instances, the real reason is that the Police Service appears to have lost its sense of priorities and forgotten that it is primarily a law enforcement organisation and not a social work department.

Only 2 weeks ago I heard an experienced officer boast  of his skill in talking people out of complaining and he said he always tried not record a crime that he did not think he could detect.  This is all part of the same strategy about making it appear as if there is less crime than there really exists and that has surely had the effect of assisting HMG in reducing police establishments etc.

• Like 1

There are 24 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE