OldAfricaHand

Cressida Dick to be new Met Commissioner

Recommended Posts

Apparently the appointment has been announced this afternoon. She has certainly done well for herself. I think it was a shoe-in really - she had been sent to The Foreign Office to "widen" her experience.

We live in interesting times!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent news. A break from the old guard. I can't think of a better candidate but thought 'they' may have stuck with the middle aged grey man.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

For me she has too much baggage, i.e. De Menezes

I suspect that any news stories / comments about her will always bring up the Stockwell shooting. It certainly is a lot of baggage/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

For me she has too much baggage, i.e. De Menezes

There are criticisms that can be aimed at her but that would be an unfair one- She had no part of the errors that led up to his misidentification...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but she was gold command but denied her order to stop him at all costs meant to shoot him. Is this a diversity appointment?  Are we neutral, or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We shall probably never know what she really meant by that remark but the officers who carried out the shooting obviously took it to mean that shooting De Menezes if necessary was permissable and carried out their duty in good faith and without regard to their own safety.

I suspect there may well be something of the `diversity appointment'  involved in this matter and it was probably inevitable that an appointment made with regard to gender, sexual orientation or race etc would be made with regard to the job of Commissioner of the Met. 

However, the decision has been made and I think we should wish Ms Dick every success in her new appointment and see how she performs in her new and highly important role. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should be a script writer. Right on cue the same old ill informed comments, tinged with a little mysogony.
I've seen the records she made of her decision making made at the time of the incident, and it a better example would be very hard to find. Even from a man!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Reasonable Man said:

I should be a script writer. Right on cue the same old ill informed comments, tinged with a little mysogony.
I've seen the records she made of her decision making made at the time of the incident, and it a better example would be very hard to find. Even from a man!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not surprised at your reply. But I am entitled to my opinion If there were no better candidates then we are in a poor state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She is definitely the preferred choice. Good at her job, good decision maker (yes she made an incorrect one - somehow I don't think she's the only person in the Police ever to do that) doesn't hate detectives like the last one, apparently a good people person and also was a well respected officer whilst in the lower ranks. Even though she was on the accelerated promotion scheme! 

For the first time since John Stevens, I think the right choice has been made. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, oldcopper said:

I suspect there may well be something of the `diversity appointment'  involved in this matter and it was probably inevitable that an appointment made with regard to gender, sexual orientation or race etc would be made with regard to the job of Commissioner of the Met. 

There were two male and two female candidates. I call that pretty much a 50/50 chance of a female getting the job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cheese_puff said:

She is definitely the preferred choice. Good at her job, good decision maker (yes she made an incorrect one - somehow I don't think she's the only person in the Police ever to do that) doesn't hate detectives like the last one, apparently a good people person and also was a well respected officer whilst in the lower ranks. Even though she was on the accelerated promotion scheme! 

For the first time since John Stevens, I think the right choice has been made. 

 

It was a rather disasterous  decision which cost an innocent man his life, and added to the trauma of Firearms officers who were the potential scapegoats. I was close to a Counter Terrorism head in another force who did not have much regard for her. In the 7/7 event his team gave assistance to the Met.

Edited by Zulu 22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the Information she had at the time - bearing mind she had only taken over the reigns 20 mins before - her decision making was found to be faultless. The result was bad but that's another matter.
We often hear, and read on here, about junior officers who make decisions and then are castigated by the 'nine o'clock jury' who have the luxury of time and hindsight to find fault. Ms Dick was subjected to the greatest possible scrutiny and found to be blameless for her decision making. Quite rightly her career has not been halted by the end result of that decision being unfortunate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 19 hidden replies in this thread that you do not currently have access to as a Guest User of our forum. To unlock the forum register for an account for FREE today by clicking HERE

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.