Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yorkshire

Going part time?

52 posts in this topic

Could anyone please offer their opinion on how going part time might affect my pension?

I joined in 1998 and I was on the 1987 scheme until moving to the 2015 CARE scheme along with everyone else. In about 5 yrs time I can retire early at age 50 and take the 25yrs service pension, as long as I stay in the current new scheme.

But if I decided to go part time for my last few years would this have any effect on my 1987 pension that is supposed to be locked away safe? Or would it just affect my 2015 CARE pension?

Thanks.

No it wouldn't affect your service, 25 years is 25 years whether full or part time. Obviously you'll get less in the end. As far as I am aware the Pension you get is based on the full time equivalent salary.  

Thanks, so my 1987 pension is safe and would still pay out the same regardless, and only my recent CARE pension would be reduced for going part time?

You might just lose a lot of respect from your colleagues. Just saying.

7 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

You might just lose a lot of respect from your colleagues. Just saying.

Why?

what a load of rubbish...... that shows how out of touch you are with policing today. Your mindset is back in the good old days😎

I work with males who work flexi hours for childcare, females work part time and it is not really a problem. A colleague has just reduced her hours again and it is down to the Chief Insp. to agree to it, nothing to do with Sgt or Insp. so it is fair across the board.

We even have a Sgt who works flexi to play golf every Thursday😀....... is his name Cheese...

You won't find a station in my force without a smattering of part time workers. Over all there is more respect for them than full timers as the majority are more productive in the time they are there than most full time colleagues.
The same has been known in private industry for years. Part time cops is sign of the police slowly moving into the 20th century, as mentioned elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I miss that! It was a fantastic pattern. Actually it was the Friday I had off. I felt that two days wasn't enough for a weekend so the Friday made it more relaxing.

I think (hope) that Zulu is joking. 

I remember coming across someone who only worked Sat and Sundays. Never did mon to fri as he was doing some course during the week. Worked well for him.

I couldn't care less what colleagues think, and I honestly don't think they have any cares either. I just fancy more time to myself but wouldn't want it to effect what my 1987 pension is set to pay out. My CARE pension will only be giving me £200/month anyway, so hardly a noticeable amount even if it gets reduced by half. 

1 hour ago, Yorkshire said:

I couldn't care less what colleagues think, and I honestly don't think they have any cares either. I just fancy more time to myself but wouldn't want it to effect what my 1987 pension is set to pay out. My CARE pension will only be giving me £200/month anyway, so hardly a noticeable amount even if it gets reduced by half. 

And continuity of jobs?  follow ups

11 hours ago, cheese_puff said:

I remember coming across someone who only worked Sat and Sundays. Never did mon to fri as he was doing some course during the week. Worked well for him.

What about if  he had cases requiring Court appearances?

41 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Court trumps everything, Specials go to court on days they're not working there isn't really much choice.

zulu, are you real. Discriminating against part timers now......... I am glad you are out as there would be a que of people wanting to argue with you on my shift😁

Regarding the original topic, will he not just get 20yrs at age 50 in the 1987 scheme, as he can't get the 2015 pension until age 55. 

As the 1987 scheme is a final salary scheme, is his salary worked out when he left the 1987 scheme or at age 50, when he will be part time?

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

I believe he did a lot of Aid so relatively few court appearances. But obviously he had no choice if he was giving evidence.

3 hours ago, Mark101 said:

zulu, are you real. Discriminating against part timers now......... I am glad you are out as there would be a que of people wanting to argue with you on my shift😁

Regarding the original topic, will he not just get 20yrs at age 50 in the 1987 scheme, as he can't get the 2015 pension until age 55. 

As the 1987 scheme is a final salary scheme, is his salary worked out when he left the 1987 scheme or at age 50, when he will be part time?

Mark, I am merely repeating the opinion that I heard at the ground level from the lads, and lasses who saw it as someone taking an easy ride. Many got closeted away in back offices facing angry cups of coffee. If some are working 24/7 facing danger on a daily basis and they see colleagues having a relatively easy life it does breed discontent.  Just saying, so don't try shooting the messenger.

The lad I had who was most against it was my best worker, always had prisoners for worthwhile jobs, and in doing so picked up his fair share of complaints and investigations. His view was, why should he take all the risks, all of the time when they generally put a shine on their trousers.

Edited by Zulu 22
1 person likes this

There are plenty who work full time shining their trousers, Zulu. A little unfair to aim that accusation at part time staff.

Things have totally changed in the police and certain people will remind you of policy & procedure and don't discriminate, this is now the big thing going to get evidence for promotion.

I do laugh when I hear someone say my best officer, the one who had all the arrests. This has totally changed now and the best officers are the ones who don't arrest, they carry out voluntary interviews and get back out on the streets to deal with the next incident..... it is all about 'outcomes' now. No one is interested in number of arrests, failed priority times, court appearances etc.......so part timers can do the same work, pro rata, as it does not takes days to finish jobs now and with the new bail act coming in, there are going to be no one on bail....... this will be interesting.

Lots of part time workers on duty groups where I work, its become the norm, nobody batts an eyelid. They don't get cushy back office jobs (there aren't any these days) they work front line on a duty group, pushing panda cars around the beat. 

Those that try to get all the arrests, whilst picking up all the complaints are laughed at where I work, but then I've always laughed at them for doing that anyway. At some point in their career they suddenly realise nobody cares about their arrest figures, certainly not the organisation.

Part time is the future ;)

Edited by Yorkshire

8 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

Mark, I am merely repeating the opinion that I heard at the ground level from the lads, and lasses who saw it as someone taking an easy ride. Many got closeted away in back offices facing angry cups of coffee. If some are working 24/7 facing danger on a daily basis and they see colleagues having a relatively easy life it does breed discontent.  Just saying, so don't try shooting the messenger.

The lad I had who was most against it was my best worker, always had prisoners for worthwhile jobs, and in doing so picked up his fair share of complaints and investigations. His view was, why should he take all the risks, all of the time when they generally put a shine on their trousers.

I presume this was a while ago. Part time now, just seems to mean that you do less hours in the same role, nothing more, nothing less.

It's ideally suited to response team where there is no carrying of jobs. You book off at the end of the day and start afresh the next time you're at work, the same as everyone else.

Presents slightly more of an issue in the CID where there is a caseload, but still perfectly manageable. 

Cheese, we have heard on here from Response Officers who not only respond but carry many jobs. They parade on duty and are given a shed load of carry on jobs. Many of these will be from part time officers. Forces vary so much. I know in ours most of the part timers are in safe non confrontational positions which, frankly, annoy some officers. Perhaps we can get criminals on part time as well.

14 hours ago, Yorkshire said:

Lots of part time workers on duty groups where I work, its become the norm, nobody batts an eyelid. They don't get cushy back office jobs (there aren't any these days) they work front line on a duty group, pushing panda cars around the beat. 

Those that try to get all the arrests, whilst picking up all the complaints are laughed at where I work, but then I've always laughed at them for doing that anyway. At some point in their career they suddenly realise nobody cares about their arrest figures, certainly not the organisation.

Part time is the future ;)

Then hang your head in shame. Remind me, are you being paid to act as a Police Officer. No wonder the public bitch on.

1 person likes this

52 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Cheese, we have heard on here from Response Officers who not only respond but carry many jobs. They parade on duty and are given a shed load of carry on jobs. Many of these will be from part time officers. Forces vary so much. I know in ours most of the part timers are in safe non confrontational positions which, frankly, p1ss some officers off. Perhaps we can get criminals on part time as well.

Then hang your head in shame. Remind me, are you being paid to act as a Police Officer. No wonder the public bitch on.

I think it just shows the disparity of different forces. Ours, response officers just drive from call to call and whatever they deal with gets handed over to the relevant unit. Mispers, high risk to the CID, others to the Misper unit, arrests to the relevant investigation department, crimes with suspects again to the relevant department. At the end of the day they hang up their uniform and start completely afresh the next time they are on duty.

Whilst I can see the merits of it, it does foster a handover culture and there is no real interest in seeing a professional job done. People would be arrested who didn't necessarily need to be arrested, most statements started with the dreaded 'I am the above named person and I live at an address known to police' type thing.

We don't really have that many non confrontational positions and those that exist are generally taken up with restricted (health or discipline wise) full time officers. 

However I accept that forces have different procedures. 

Cheese, I fancy a job at your place………..what part of the country are you in?

Just reading the above now explains some of the others posts. Our Response teams go out and deal with all jobs. I work with a caseload of between 15 -20 crimes, from S18, fraud, thefts , domestic violence & daily S136, hangings,  etc……We don't have any other departments to take work off us other than CID, proactive & reactive, PPU & Adults team for DV. Other than that there is no one. That is why, when we attend at a job that is a CID job we contact them direct and they come out to their job i.e. Burglary , street robbery etc…….we don't have the time to deal with these in detail due to our workload. The days of CID not coming out are over, and they must attend. There workload has certainly shot up and they are busy.

The government use to give Response officers a payment at xmas £1200 and all that happened was that CID changed their rota so they could claim it as well. There should be no payment for skills but payment for workload!

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

Its not about arrests these days. If I arrested at every opportunity id have my SGT on the radio asking why. Theres usually only 6 of us covering a very large city centre.

90% of crimes I attend the suspect is dealt with there and then at the scene by MG15 interview on our Nokia phones or Panasonic laptops, and reported on summons. Everything is done at the scene using our phones, including statements, criming, RTC reports, traffic tickets, pocket book entries etc. There are far too many incidents to attend, meaning that to arrest them you are out of the game for the day putting more workload on your colleagues. Of course arresting them is much easier, gives you a break from being on patrol and allows you a cup of tea whist waiting for the solicitor. But most of us dont take that option unless theres no choice. But perhaps those that do ought to be hanging their head in shame? They know who they are!!

More and more beat cops are going part time, the number of cops where I work that have applied for voluntary redundancy is staggering. Theres been massive changes in recent years where the job has changed beyond belief. Part time seems to be actively encouraged by the organisation and theres certainly no shame amongst colleagues, more likely to encourage jealousy.

Edited by Yorkshire

2 hours ago, Yorkshire said:

Its not about arrests these days. If I arrested at every opportunity id have my SGT on the radio asking why. Theres usually only 6 of us covering a very large city centre.

90% of crimes I attend the suspect is dealt with there and then at the scene by MG15 interview on our Nokia phones or Panasonic laptops, and reported on summons. Everything is done at the scene using our phones, including statements, criming, RTC reports, traffic tickets, pocket book entries etc. There are far too many incidents to attend, meaning that to arrest them you are out of the game for the day putting more workload on your colleagues. Of course arresting them is much easier, gives you a break from being on patrol and allows you a cup of tea whist waiting for the solicitor. But most of us dont take that option unless theres no choice. But perhaps those that do ought to be hanging their head in shame? They know who they are!!

More and more beat cops are going part time, the number of cops where I work that have applied for voluntary redundancy is staggering. Theres been massive changes in recent years where the job has changed beyond belief. Part time seems to be actively encouraged by the organisation and theres certainly no shame amongst colleagues, more likely to encourage jealousy.

I stand by my previous comment, but it is no wonder the public are losing confidence with responses like that. So glad that we stopped at the Yorkshire Border.

4 hours ago, cheese_puff said:

I think it just shows the disparity of different forces. Ours, response officers just drive from call to call and whatever they deal with gets handed over to the relevant unit. Mispers, high risk to the CID, others to the Misper unit, arrests to the relevant investigation department, crimes with suspects again to the relevant department. At the end of the day they hang up their uniform and start completely afresh the next time they are on duty.

Whilst I can see the merits of it, it does foster a handover culture and there is no real interest in seeing a professional job done. People would be arrested who didn't necessarily need to be arrested, most statements started with the dreaded 'I am the above named person and I live at an address known to police' type thing.

We don't really have that many non confrontational positions and those that exist are generally taken up with restricted (health or discipline wise) full time officers. 

However I accept that forces have different procedures. 

They sure have got vastly different policies. One of our problems was/is that they have taken that many officers into squads that there is a minimal number of officers who are left on the street. This might not be so bad if those in the squads actually did their fair share of the work. As a supervision I more than sympathised with the opinions of my officers. The huge problem was telling those in higher ranks what a mess they were making. The officer on the street was full time and the part timers were getting away with murder as they had learned how to work the system. Any objecting voices were decried under various discrimination and quoting present day work practices.:angry:

Your Force seem to have enough squads, Mispers units, arrest depts., etc,etc. that I would think that you have no one left for response Policing and certainly no on for reactive Policing..:(

45 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

They sure have got vastly different policies. One of our problems was/is that they have taken that many officers into squads that there is a minimal number of officers who are left on the street. This might not be so bad if those in the squads actually did their fair share of the work. As a supervision I more than sympathised with the opinions of my officers. The huge problem was telling those in higher ranks what a mess they were making. The officer on the street was full time and the part timers were getting away with murder as they had learned how to work the system. Any objecting voices were decried under various discrimination and quoting present day work practices.:angry:

Your Force seem to have enough squads, Mispers units, arrest depts., etc,etc. that I would think that you have no one left for response Policing and certainly no on for reactive Policing..:(

It's precisely because there are all these units that there are plenty of people for response policing. Everything is handed over and they are back out again for the next job as opposed to being tied up for the rest of the shift.