Zulu 22

Where have they gone

Where have all the old contributors gone to. When the site changed in January I found great difficulty in accessing the forum. I had registered originally with an email address I no longer used because it had been hacked. I could not change my password or anything. It was fortunate that I was able to contact the administrator and Moderators and they managed to sort out my new (Well old secure) email address and for me to set a new password.

But where on earth are Quokka, Westie, Itoldyouonce, Cheese, Reasonable Man, GManc,Spider, etc,etc.

I have joined one of the sister sites but it appears to be mainly Specials and PCSO's who know everything about everything, whilst, at the same time, knowing nothing. Experience is scorned as a dirty word. There do have to be different opinions, otherwise you would have a sterile environment with every poster saying "Yes I agree" agree, agree.

I do hope that the old posters on here have not disappeared for good. Come back we need you.

This edit was made after someone clicked "Like" The sister also seems to be very much Met orientated and they seem to work off different rules and even laws than the rest not us Plebs. And before someone replies, I am not anti Met, but there is life north of Watford Gap.

Edited by Zulu 22
  • Like 3

Great and greetings, thought you were out playing golf;)   The other site is full of Specials who know everything about nothing, and nothing about everything.:tongue_cheek:

1 hour ago, Zulu 22 said:

Great and greetings, thought you were out playing golf;)   The other site is full of Specials who know everything about nothing, and nothing about everything.:tongue_cheek:

23 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

I have joined one of the sister sites but it appears to be mainly Specials and PCSO's who know everything about everything, whilst, at the same time, knowing nothing. Experience is scorned as a dirty word. There do have to be different opinions, otherwise you would have a sterile environment with every poster saying "Yes I agree" agree, agree.

Your opinions and you are welcome to them.

I must say though the polcomforum is not just for PCSO's or Specials, regular officers who have got ALOT of experience are some of our most regular contributors,just because they don't agree with you does not mean they "know nothing" 

As for this forum, yes it is quiet, it has been very quiet for a number of years now, however hopefully in due course it will pick up.

What might be more constructive than insulting members from a different forum is to give your ideas on how this forum could be improved?

• Like 2

I've been a member of the three sites for several years and dip in and out but I don't post a lot, only on subjects I have an interest in.
This forum has been dying a slow death for a couple of years. I, and others have said so before. I have tried starting some different discussions but the regular posters (only a handful of those) seemed to have no interest in those. Most new members will ask a question that goes unanswered - usually about recruitment - or they get told how rubbish the job is now.
The moderation is/was so tight that certain subjects were locked, that are allowed on other sites.
Police online is a buzzing community with many posters who are interested. A lot know a lot about a lot. Some are inexperienced but ask for advice. Not everyone knows everything about everything.
I can see the three sites being merged into one, don't know if that is allowed or technically possible but it would make sense to me. I have all three on my Tapatalk feed so it's like one site for all intents and purposes. Just a bit confusing sometimes when the same subject is being discussed on different sites and get them mixed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Reasonable Man said:

The moderation is/was so tight that certain subjects were locked, that are allowed on other sites.
Police online is a buzzing community with many posters who are interested.

I can see the three sites being merged into one, don't know if that is allowed or technically possible but it would make sense to me. 

I do agree that moderation under the previous regime was OTT and did not provoke debate, we have unlocked a number of threads as you rightly say were locked for no reason.

Hopefully our style of moderating will be more relaxed, the police community forum has been a huge success since we launched just over 3 years ago, i dont see why we can't make a success of this one as well.

As for merging the forums, as i understand it, i don't think that option is on the table, we want to make a success of all 4 forums as separate entities.

• Like 1

Yet this topic has been moved to an obscure heading, where it is not easily available.

Edited by Rocket
Unnecessary bold text format removed

31 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Yet this topic has been moved to an obscure heading, where it is not easily available.

How is it obscure? You created this thread in the wrong area, i am sure you knew that.

As it is i have left a link in the GD area so people will be able to easily find it.

Anyway back on topic....

Still look most days still best 'real' police forum.PSD and social media have taken a huge toll on the police forums.I would respond to interesting threads on here if it picks up.I hope it does so as I bet a few quid has changed hands setting all this up recently with new ownership.

This forum is unique and has it's own ethos, it is different to the other three so it is up to you all as members as to how you take it forward.

I am also here still, but just jump in, have a look around and jump out again, often without logging on. I expect a few others do the same. As I am "getting on" now, and have caring duties for my 92 year old mother, I get less time for perusing the ether, but will still do so, when i have time.

• Like 2

Times change and people change, we understand that and we want to ensure this continues as a great forum with great members.  We aren't into change for changes sake only what is best for the forum and it's members as a whole.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what they want from the forum or changes they think may benefit or want to see then please we want to hear them.

We are more than happy to try new things, if they don't work we can always change it back but if we don't try then we'll never know.

You are all what actually makes a forum so you tell us what you want and we'll do our best to make it happen.

• Like 1

As an ex-mod here, I look in from time to time, but barely contribute.  Under the old regime, perhaps some topics were locked unnecessarily in the eyes of some, but regular contributors tended to understand and accept why this had been done, perhaps after a little explanation by PM.  Latterly in my time, changes made by the administrators, appeared to be made for change's sake, which is what caused me to jack it in.  I came on here last week and was shocked at how the forum has changed AGAIN and all the old moderators appear to have disappeared.  The forum used to thrive and now there's not a lot to get involved in.  Perhaps the age of the forum has passed.

• Like 1

I can sympathise with you but you could approach the original mods. I stay on here because, generally it's members are regulars ,serving or retired. It us not dominated by hobby Bobby 's and Plastic' s who believe that they know everything and do not want to listen to experience. Criticise the Met at your peril. 

30 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

I can sympathise with you but you could approach the original mods. I stay on here because, generally it's members are regulars ,serving or retired. It us not dominated by hobby Bobby 's and Plastic' s who believe that they know everything and do not want to listen to experience. Criticise the Met at your peril. 

So us mods are unapproachable? Again i find it strange that you think you can insult a whole group of people and not expect any criticism yourself. As i have mentioned previously the police community forum is not just used by met officers or specials, it used by officers across the country who have got many years experience. 

With respect your attitude is dreadful, you really expect people to engage with you, when you hurl insults at them?

I have to echo what @Fedster says - I can't believe the language you are using to describe your former colleagues. 

Didn't policing start off with volunteers anyway?

43 minutes ago, Zulu 22 said:

Ha ha Zulu.  It's kind of refreshing to know that you are still here and still lighting the blue touch paper and seeing what happens.  I'll probably not be around much, but hopefully some of the old regulars will reappear.  All the best.  

1 hour ago, Zulu 22 said:

As a former Hobby Bobby (but it seems a long time ago - 27 years service that ended 20 years ago in another era) I understand Zulu's perspective but then we are both Mancunians; so we are a bit blunt by nature. I think that the quite lengthy suspension of the site's activities has had significant impact on members' feelings towards whether it is worth contributing - people find other things to do / other sites to visit. Certainly the interaction over the past 12 months has diminished but, perhaps, it will return to its former level of debate, banter, information and fun. I hope so! As far as the Met is concerned, I recall a friend of mine (an Amercian State Department staffer) saying "You can always tell an American....... but not very much!" I guess that syndrome might exist in parts of the Met (which continues a Force close to my heart:D)

Edited by OldAfricaHand

19 hours ago, Fedster said:

So us mods are unapproachable? Again i find it strange that you think you can insult a whole group of people and not expect any criticism yourself. As i have mentioned previously the police community forum is not just used by met officers or specials, it used by officers across the country who have got many years experience. 

With respect your attitude is dreadful, you really expect people to engage with you, when you hurl insults at them?

You will have to forgive me if I am passionate, and forthright about Policing. I come from a Police family, father anyway. When I hear and see things that are wrong then I say so. That is a trait that I inherited from my father. He was a natural and had vast experience, from working on the Moors Murders, 1981 riots, MIner's Strike and many others. He attended the Metropolitan Detective Training School when it was in Chelsea and was appalled at the corruption which pervaded in the early 70's. He remained a Sergeant because he spoke out when he had too. He gave me the advice, see everything, hear everything, and say nowt.  We managed to overlap in service and it was his proudest moment to call me "Sir".  He asked me just before I retired what went wrong and the reply, "Like you I did not remain silent, but spoke out when things were obviously wrong".

Do I apologise for speaking out on principle, No I do not. It might just be a Mancunian thing to speak your mind.

I pop in and out too, but since retiring try to avoid stressing myself out so only view the site.

On 05/02/2017 at 19:43, Zulu 22 said:

As a "hobby bobby" in the met I can assure you, we're really not all like that - but if I'm being fair and unbias... a lot of us are! Is it the wrong attitude to have? Absolutely. Will it change? Probably not... All I can do is be my best, listen to the advice of my regular colleagues and do as I'm told, which I do well! As for criticising the met, go for it - we get a lot wrong a lot of the time. 

Having said that, I know plenty of regular police officers who display similar attitudes and don't respect experience. In my opinion they won't get very far and special or not it shows the kind of person you are if you can't take it on the chin and follow advice from a colleague who's been doing the job longer than you've been alive.

• Like 1

I appreciate those comments. Not all Specials are like that,  I have known and tutored many who had the right attitude. They valued experienced assistance, we're attentive and not arrogant. It seems that arrogance and a know all attitude prevail in such numbers. When we stopped recruiting we advised applicants to join the Met, do the 2 years and transfer. I was surprised how many transfered back and had very little good to say about the Met.They were also surprised how much we did. 

Listen and learn but also follow your instincts, and good luck.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Zulu 22 said:

I appreciate those comments. Not all Specials are like that,  I have known and tutored many who had the right attitude. They valued experienced assistance, we're attentive and not arrogant. It seems that arrogance and a know all attitude prevail in such numbers. When we stopped recruiting we advised applicants to join the Met, do the 2 years and transfer. I was surprised how many transfered back and had very little good to say about the Met.They were also surprised how much we did. 

Listen and learn but also follow your instincts, and good luck.

Pros and Cons of being Met to be honest, for the most part I enjoy it but I do know things are done much better elsewhere. 

For me it's a case of, I don't have a degree or enough money to do a CKP so I joined the SC to get into the regular force. 

One step at a time...

Hi Zulu. I've just read your post about where has everone gone. I have thought the same for some while. Like you, I've not been able to get on the site for some reason, until tonight for some reason, but as if by magic now, here I am, back again. I saw that OAH was on here and have pm'd him but where are many of the others, of course I recognise some of the older names, eg old copper and reasonable man, to name but a couple. Anywas, I hope I will be able to remain on here now. TTFN and Regards, westie.