Hi all,

I'm wondering if I want to add an additional pair of direction indicators/daytime running lights on my car at front, would it be legal? (I guess probably no) How can I make it legal if possible?

I don't have daytime running lamps and the side lamps are too dark to use in day time.

Cheers.

I mean, if I just go ahead to add the indicator, it probably is illegal. Would it be legal if I notify DVLA or whichever organization that I should report this modification to?

Whatever you do you must comply with the relevant legislation. For new vehicles there are quite specific rules about the construction and use of any additional lamp fitted to a vehicle.

Daytime running lamps for example, they must be at least 600mm apart and not less than 250 mm nor more than 1,500 mm above the ground. And you can only have Two

They shall be switched ON automatically when the key is turned and off when the engine is turned off. They should go off  (or dim appropriately) when the main headlamps are turned on.

If they are close to the indicators they also have to go off (or dim appropriately) whilst the indicators are functioning.

Direction Indicators are even more controlled, for normal cars (Category M1) you can only have Two at the front, additional lamps are not permitted. You can add Side indicators but they must be of the correct class and in the correct position.

If you wanted to seek approval the correct method would be through the DVSA Individual vehicle approval process, but it would not be worthwhile as the additional lights would mean it didn't conform.

Any modification at all requires that you inform your insurer.

• Like 1

Legal Disclaimer

Any advice on a specific area of law is from either currently-serving UK police officers, and is offered to the best of their ability, or from members of the public who are perhaps aspiring to be serving police officers and may not hold the necessary level of knowledge to provide such assistance or by any other member who may offer their opinion. Either way such advice can only be treated as an opinion and nothing more.

Members should look for the Verified Members Badge that appears on the posters name as advice from members holding this badge are verified police employees.

The information is based on their own individual experiences, expertise and training. It is stressed, however, that if any information or advice found in these forums is used by any person or organisation, then the respective police officer(s) and staff can not and will not take any responsibility for any outcome in any investigation in a criminal or civil enquiry. Any advice or opinion offered is to the best of the individuals knowledge and ability based on the information you have supplied, and we will stress that we will never be knowingly misleading or untruthful in content.

• Please note, we do not offer advice or assistance in order to avoid penalties that you have incurred or maybe pending.
  • Such requests are deemed to be of an Operational nature and against our main Forum Rules.
  • You should always seek Legal Advice from a Qualified Solicitor in the event of any impending prosecutions or other involved legal matter.

Police Community Team