Sign in to follow this  
Zulu 22

When things go wrong

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/police-marksman-who-shot-dead-12470117  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-38692204

Firearms in Policing have become a hot topic recently but at the moment there is an enquiry into the death of Stuart Grainger when a catalogue of errors appears to be unfolding.  What happens when things go wrong.  So far there is huge criticism of a fatal Police shooting.  It appears that Intelligence was way out of date, and that there was apparent incompetence by the people in charge.

There is perhaps little doubt that the officer firing the fatal shot was acting in good faith.

When things go wrong in firearms cases it has tragic consequences. 

It was originally report about Graingers past record and him being a wrong un  However from the reports of the enquiry so far it appears that serious mistakes may have been made.

As you say, Zulu, this case seems a little messy in some respects but my personal belief (not ever having been a firearms officer) is that the actual firearms officer who shot Grainger cannot be faulted. His was a split-second decision made when he thought that the threat to life was real; had he not made that decision on the basis of what he knew / had been briefed, lives may have been lost.

But Grainger was not murdered as his mother suggests not does the fact that he and his partner (do people in Manchester no longer actually get married I wonder?) were trying for children have any bearing on the case. But i guess these add to the emotion of the story and helpa pain Police in a negative light - which can be expected from both the BBC and MEN.

• Like 1

I agree, it is pour Intel and briefing at fault. However it is Q9 who us going to have to live with the fact that he took a life. What will that fact have on him, and his family.

• Like 2